My Alfalfas are too soft :( What to do??

MrPlow

TMBC
Does anybody know whats in the guts of these RST alfalfas? I have wound the preload compression (LH dial) as hard as it will go... But they are still too soft :? What to do??? Any advice?? I assume the LH dial is threaded and compresses the spring... Was thinking of just packing it out to pre load it a bit more?? Just to get me by for now. Suggestions please? I am doing a big ride tomorow and would like to fix it before then if I can :wink:

Rik

logged out
You don't know what's inside them? Upping the compression will not make them stiffer, cranking the preload knob does. If your forks are preloaded as far as they'll go yet still soft, pull them apart and stick a space in the spring stack. Unwind the preload knob, space it out, and squash it all down whilst you tighten the cap back on, then crank up the preload again.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if they have dual prings, try swapping one out for a stiffer spring. that lests you keep the supple soft spring for slower or smaller hits, and ramp up to the stiff spring.
not a quick fix, bu t probably the way to go in the long run.

MrPlow

TMBC
Yeh thanks Kupine128, but it is the "IF" bit that has got me worried? I need to know what exactly is inside them? I am rideing tomorow, and I am not game enough to pull them down without knowing more, just my luck I couldn't put them back together :?

MrPlow

TMBC
fastrider gus said:
throw them out..
Get stuffed :lol:
These forks have gone throught Jared's torture testing, Josh's and now me, and they feel great,are plenty stiff.
Quite the underdog if you ask me :wink: Especially when you can pick em up for under $200.00. :shock:

dick

Likes Dirt
are the alfalfas good foorks?
i thought rst were like a no name brand except i saw some that wre like as fat as monster...40mm staunchions

Ty

Eats Squid
i didn't think they felt too bad, josh mentioned something about pouring oil down somewhere or some kind of dodgy 'woomba maintenance kept them feeling good.

Plow i think that bike had a bit pf play in the rear linkage that you may wanna check out. (also check out my handwork on the rear disc mount bolts)

bazza

look at me
go see your lbs and they will do it and give you advice. if any one here is not friends with a bike shop make some. they will help tons and they are liable if they screw something up as well. just in case.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
if u need to fix them b4 tomorrow, u could try packing in some washers on top of the springs to give u some more preload. worth a shot..

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok. don't know if this is right for the year/model you have, and i haven't pulled a set of them apart myself, but here goes.....
aparrantly they run a combination of elastomer stack and spring.
when you undo the top cap (carefully cause it's under load) you should find that the spring/elastomer will just pop right up. you will then be able to see if it is connected to the top in any way, or if the preloader is simply a block that screws down onto the top of the stack. if it's attached you will have to undo the thread off the cap, and relase the circlip inside. the older model apparantly is NOT attached.
when you have the top cap off you will be able to remove the spring/elastomer stack by hand. geoff reckons the best place to put a spacer is at the bottom of the elastomers, between the spring spacer, and the last rubber. start with about 5-7 mm and work up from there.
now comes the interesting bit.....
older model judy tt coils are (i have been told) just about 5mm longer than the whole elastomer stack, and about 20% stiffer. so if you have/know of a set of old judys (or pretty much anything else i would guess, but he only mentioned judys) you can replace the elastomers completly, and get a better feel to boot.

i repeat that i do not have any first hand knowledge of this myself, but the guy i was talking to has been racing his for a cpl of seasons back home and reckons this was the way to go.

and in any case there should be no trouble in removing the top cap to have a look anyway, so go for it.

MrPlow

TMBC
Thanks guys, all fixed :wink: Nothing that a bit of broomstick won't fix :wink: .
The RST's are a spring/oil fork BTW, elastomer inside some spring stacks for progressive travel. I simply dropped the lower legs, removed the circlip outta the sprung leg (the other is the oil reservoir) took all the springs out, cut a bit of broomstick (40mm, bit too much actually) dropped it in the top of the fork and slapped it back together...Walla.
Yes the alfalfas have a very beefy 40mm leg, and 20mm through axle with V & disc compatibility...
I reckon it will be a long time before I will out-ride these forks, they are pretty smooth, just pack em with slippery stuff (by the looks of the internals, that must be the trik :wink: ).
If you want to see a photo goto post your rides :wink:
Yes the linkages are a little flogged, but I am already organising fully sealed bearings all round. Cheers again everybody Rik who linked me to the RST owners manual. :D

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
woohoo. all sorted then.
when you get the chance, maybe swap the broomstick for a piece of aluminium pipe, or a machined spacer so it doesn't disintigrate all over your nice fork internals tho :D
i can't make it tommorrow, so i'll catch you next time.
have fun.

MrPlow

TMBC
No worries lupi :wink: Yes I will replace the spacer once I get it set right :D Bit too hard now :? Just a tad though.
I will try and get some pics on Farkin from my ride, won't be 'Phat snaps though" this bike is spinning me out so far... My last ride had cable discs and 3" travel front and rear. Way different to pilot :shock:

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
heh, i know what you mean.
the last bike i had was an old giant atx900.
with 80mm x-flys.
i'm still way getting used to a bike that goes up and down this much.
that and i gotta stop trying to get out of trouble by nailing the (non-existant) throttle. D'oh!
what brake mount do you have on the back of yours, the original, or a custom job?