My balls! My balls! I can't feel my balls!

0psi

Eats Squid
Continuing the discussions about my pants area. I feel we've thoroughly covered the arse area in a previous thread so it's time to move to the front.

For those of you that spend some time on a stationary trainer, do you find crotch numbness worse on a trainer than riding outside? I rarely get a numb crotch riding on the road and pretty much never on the mountain bike but 15-20 minutes on a stationary trainer and I could probably set my junk on fire and not notice.

Now where things get a little hazy. The bike I ride on the trainer (my TT bike) doesn't see much action on the road. I take it out occasionally so I keep in touch with the way it handles but that's about it, if I'm going for a ride outside I'd rather ride the mountain bike. I noticed that there is quite a lot of small vibrations coming through the frame. Would this be contributing to the numbness or is it just the saddle and position on that particular bike? I know the obvious solution would be to put the mountain bike in the trainer and see if there's the same result but alas the 142 rear on the mountain bike won't fit in my trainer. I've not noticed any numbness when riding the TT bike on the road but then again I can only manage about 30-40 minutes riding on the road before I go batshit crazy, riding a mountain bike is much more fun and I only tolerate the stationary trainer because I can watch Top Gear while spinning away in the evenings.

There's no pain, just numbness and feeling returns in 10-15 minutes after getting off the bike.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
I think its the trainer and being in a stationary position. I have my old mtb set up on the trainer (with rear slick) and I experience the same thing as you.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I cured the numbing crotch area by dropping the nose of my saddle a little. It took the constant pressure of that area and has worked a charm. It's also worth noting that get off the saddle for a little bit of time helps the blood flow to that area and can prolong your ride.
Ideally, you want to plant your arse on your sit bones on the saddle, not on the important bits in front of your sit bone. For me, it solved my problem straight away and cost nothing.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Common problem, I use my roadie on the trainer about 2 x a week and face the same issues; yet while riding out doors it's fine. The problem stems to the fact that you are stationary, the bike doesn't move under you like it would out on the road...

As above try poining the nose of the saddle downward a little, this should help and being a TT bike you shouldn't get issues in your wrists / hands due to supporting extra weight like you would with a road handlebar.

scblack

Leucocholic
I cured the numbing crotch area by dropping the nose of my saddle a little. It took the constant pressure of that area and has worked a charm.
I've just done the same on my roadie, only by 1.5degrees. Has done the job, I used to get a bit of numbness too after time and that has virtually gone now. More comfortable too.

Also, it must be faster as the UCI has banned seats from being anything but perfectly level - to the point of taking spirit levels to WorldTour events.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Also, it must be faster as the UCI has banned seats from being anything but perfectly level - to the point of taking spirit levels to WorldTour events.
Have they really? On what planet would anyone be from who dared to say they lost a race purely because the guy in front had a different angle on his seat? That's pretty wild UCI but true to your form.

0psi

Eats Squid
Have they really? On what planet would anyone be from who dared to say they lost a race purely because the guy in front had a different angle on his seat? That's pretty wild UCI but true to your form.
They are just grumpy old men who if given their way would have the pro peloton riding steel framed bikes with down tube shifters.

I think the conversation would have gone like this. *In French accent*
These young guys make me so cross. They are young, fast, muscular and virile. Hey, you know what we should do?
What Jose?
We should introduce a rule that will stop their penises from working!

Back to topic. My saddle nose is a whisker downwards, any more and I find I start creeping forward and am constantly adjust my position. I might suck it up and go for a long ride on the road and see how that goes.

Edit: And to answer your question Dozer, yes UCI rules state that saddle must be perfectly level. Setting up a bike to meet UCI rules (especially for TT) is just bullshit.

I can't feel mine either, well not without permission given that my missus has them in her hand bag.

Seriously, embrace the numbness, it will make a change from numbing your hand

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It could be a few things I rekon.
- Saddle angle - should be around 3deg tip down.
- Saddle height - do your hips rock at high cadence? Maybe pull it up a little?
- Riding position - I find on the road im up and down all the time but on a flat ride or trainer because I sit down for so long (10+mins) the inside of my legs go a tad numb so I stand up and do a few strokes to get the blood flowing.
- Saddle... maybe look at swapping it out?

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Continuing the discussions about my pants area. I feel we've thoroughly covered the arse area in a previous thread so it's time to move to the front.

For those of you that spend some time on a stationary trainer, do you find crotch numbness worse on a trainer than riding outside? I rarely get a numb crotch riding on the road and pretty much never on the mountain bike but 15-20 minutes on a stationary trainer and I could probably set my junk on fire and not notice.

Now where things get a little hazy. The bike I ride on the trainer (my TT bike) doesn't see much action on the road. I take it out occasionally so I keep in touch with the way it handles but that's about it, if I'm going for a ride outside I'd rather ride the mountain bike. I noticed that there is quite a lot of small vibrations coming through the frame. Would this be contributing to the numbness or is it just the saddle and position on that particular bike? I know the obvious solution would be to put the mountain bike in the trainer and see if there's the same result but alas the 142 rear on the mountain bike won't fit in my trainer. I've not noticed any numbness when riding the TT bike on the road but then again I can only manage about 30-40 minutes riding on the road before I go batshit crazy, riding a mountain bike is much more fun and I only tolerate the stationary trainer because I can watch Top Gear while spinning away in the evenings.

There's no pain, just numbness and feeling returns in 10-15 minutes after getting off the bike.
I do know what you mean because I used to get it on my trainer too.
That's the main reason I got rid of my trainer.
What I noticed was that when I am on a trainer I actually bear more load on my saddle than I do when riding on the road.

This is because when I was on the trainer I was focussing more on nice circular pedalling technique and keeping muscles active on both the down and up stroke. And this was the key to it.
I was trying to keep my leg muscles in a contantly active state. I can't do that on the road.
All of my body weight was in turn on my soft tissue and my legs were not actually holding me up, just spinning real nice unweighted circles. It was the only way I could spin real fast (120bpm) without bobbing up and down.

When I am on the road, I found that I push down on the pedals and not pull up with the opposing leg, so my weight was in turn being pushed up a bit off the seat and not bearing as much load.

I bet if you think about your stationary technique you will find you are doing this too.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I recomend you patent the bike and riding position and sell it as a cure for premature ejacultation! I can just imagine Pele doing late night infomercials about being able to fuck longer thanks to his numb nuts! Improve your cardio and love life with our patented technique...