My Carbon Roval wheel is destroying tyres!

Timshel

Squid
Can anyone provide advice as to why my carbon Roval wheel is resulting in a burst tyre and what can be done to avoid it happening? This has happened 3 times now and in each case the sidewall splits along the bead - see picture - 1x Specialized Ground Control; 1x Specialized SausserWind; 1x Maxxis Crossmark LUST.
photo1.jpg

placebo

Likes Dirt
The bead hooks seem to be too sharp. Specialized no longer use them on their carbon rims, so I'd just dremel those ones off.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep. Heard of some carbon rims having very square, sharp edged bead hooks. Should be rounded. Sounds like a warranty issue to me.

spurr

Likes Bikes
Recently split a Crossmark in the same spot, but in my case it was on an alloy rim. Have seen it suggested likely to be an example of a tubeless pinch flat. So if you've been bottoming out the tire, maybe try a few extra psi?

houli77

Likes Dirt
i'd def try warranty, spec are usually pretty good..

otherwise could you just lightly sand the sharp edge down a touch??

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Is this a tubeless application or tubes? Because if it is a tubeless setup then I'll wager that none of those tyres are 'tubeless ready' or, better still, 'tubeless'. That poor dead Crossmark certainly isn't.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is this a tubeless application or tubes? Because if it is a tubeless setup then I'll wager that none of those tyres are 'tubeless ready' or, better still, 'tubeless'. That poor dead Crossmark certainly isn't.
LUST is Maxxis' tubeless setup. You can actually see the start of the word 'tubeless' in the pic.

I'd be looking to warranty first, and I haven't come across references to pinch flats on tubeless. Also worth noting where on the rim it is happening (old trick was always align the logo with the valve stem)

Al..

mymasseur

Likes Dirt
so the writing up behind the white writing in the picture thats starts to read "Tube" isnt going on to ay tubeless ready?
i'd also wager putting more psi in wont avoid the split, just stops the rims from being dinted. There is no way in my mind you could tear 3 tyres like this from just low psi. I have run 20 psi through rock gardens, heaps, reckon that would do it too hey? Edge of rims clearly sharp! Warrenty.

Timshel

Squid
Wheel is a Roval Control Trail SL. I'm running a tube with pressure at 32PSI and I weigh 85kg.

I've looked a little closer since posting and there is a slight ridge on the inside edge of the rim in the vicinity. It is very small like 0.1mm high, and runs about 20cm on the disc side. The rest of the rim on that side is smooth and the drive side is entirely smooth. I reckon this the culprit. See pics.
this shows the ridge on the nearest edge

In this shot the good edge is nearest.

So sandpaper/file or warranty? Warranty could be tricky as it is second hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wheel is a Roval Control Trail SL. I'm running a tube with pressure at 32PSI and I weigh 85kg.

I've looked a little closer since posting and there is a slight ridge on the inside edge of the rim in the vicinity. It is very small like 0.1mm high, and runs about 20cm on the disc side. The rest of the rim on that side is smooth and the drive side is entirely smooth. I reckon this the culprit. See pics.
this shows the ridge on the nearest edge

In this shot the good edge is nearest.

So sandpaper/file or warranty? Warranty could be tricky as it is second hand.

20cm or 20mm on the disc side?

Anyone else think that rim has been patched before? If so - forget warranty.

gc49

Likes Bikes
Anyone else think that rim has been patched before? If so - forget warranty.
I agree with you.

From those pics, clearly looks like something has happened in the bed of the rim and then been repaired. If that's the case (and the pis imply that it's fairly certain), whoever did it, probably got some resin on the side of the rim and didn't get rid of it all when cleaning up the patch. That could very easily cause your issue.

If that's what's happened, then a very fine sandpaper to get rid of the excess and smooth it all out is all I can suggest as no way spec will warranty a rim that's been repaired by a third party (could try a crash replacement, but not sure on if they'll do that or not).

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Given you bought them second hand I think you'll find it impossible to get a warranty job on them.
It looks like they were damaged in some way and repaired (albeit not to a great standard)

I agree with gc49's suggestion of sanding......

Timshel

Squid
Yes, I had noticed the evidence of patching too, though I'm not familiar with how they should look brand new so couldn't be sure.

I'll go with the sanding option and see if I can get them smooth.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
LUST is Maxxis' tubeless setup. You can actually see the start of the word 'tubeless' in the pic.
LUST has actually nothing to do with tubeless' in the Maxxis world - it's their acronym for their sidewall technology. However, [granted] these days it seems that it is usually paired with a UST bead so indeed it is a tubeless tyre.

BUT

my [poorly stated] question referred to the entire combination...rim and tyre. It's not uncommon for a mismatch to generate tyre bead failures. A colleague had this issue with Bontrager tubeless ready rims rims and non UST but tubeless ready tyres...

No matter...issue seems sorted

frensham

Likes Dirt
LUST has actually nothing to do with tubeless' in the Maxxis world - it's their acronym for their sidewall technology. However, [granted] these days it seems that it is usually paired with a UST bead so indeed it is a tubeless tyre.

BUT
my [poorly stated] question referred to the entire combination...rim and tyre. It's not uncommon for a mismatch to generate tyre bead failures. A colleague had this issue with Bontrager tubeless ready rims rims and non UST but tubeless ready tyres...

No matter...issue seems sorted
ahh, I think LUST and tubeless go together - always.
LUST
Maxxis mountain tubeless tires, certified to UST ® standards, featuring Lightweight Ultimate Sidewall Technology (L.U.S.T.). This technology offers better puncture resistance, improved air retention, better longevity and lower weight than previous tubeless technologies. By adding a thin fabric layer to the sidewall, covered in a special airtight rubber compound, Maxxis created a casing that is lighter, tougher and holds air better.

mymasseur

Likes Dirt
I agree with you.

From those pics, clearly looks like something has happened in the bed of the rim and then been repaired. If that's the case (and the pis imply that it's fairly certain), whoever did it, probably got some resin on the side of the rim and didn't get rid of it all when cleaning up the patch. That could very easily cause your issue.

If that's what's happened, then a very fine sandpaper to get rid of the excess and smooth it all out is all I can suggest as no way spec will warranty a rim that's been repaired by a third party (could try a crash replacement, but not sure on if they'll do that or not).
+ 1..................................