My Dirt Jumps

stixmtb

Squid
hey everyone
after reading how to build a dirt jump thread i decided to rebuild my own dirt jumps that are at my place. im planning on having 3 jumps on the same down ramp and then a second set of ramps just after because i have limited on space.

i started the 1st down ramp today and to save some dirt i used some bricks. at the moment i have about 2 inches of dirt over the top. do you think this is enough or do i need more dirt on top?

also any ideas on using limited space? pics will be up soon

Nick

stixmtb

Squid
the jumps before i started

yesterdays work on the landing

this mornings work on the first jump, got pretty creative

hope you all like. tell me what you think.

Blythy

Likes Dirt
do you plan to do tricks on them? Im guessing not??? Your gonna need quite alot more height and curve if you want to get some descent hang time. They still look sweet for now. Youve built them well so far. Would I be right in saying that there is a very limited run in/out in a small backyard? From the pictures it dosent look like a large property. I may be wrong. Also you might want to dig up the grass on the run in/out so you can go faster!

stixmtb

Squid
do you plan to do tricks on them? Im guessing not??? Your gonna need quite alot more height and curve if you want to get some descent hang time. They still look sweet for now. Youve built them well so far. Would I be right in saying that there is a very limited run in/out in a small backyard? From the pictures it dosent look like a large property. I may be wrong. Also you might want to dig up the grass on the run in/out so you can go faster!
the photo's dont show it but there is alot of room for the run up and you can get quite alot of speed up. in am hoping to learn to do tricks on them but im planning on having three jumps on this down ramp and this jump will be by far the smallest of them. :D as for the grass i dont plan on digging it up but i might cut the run up real short with the mower.

Blythy

Likes Dirt
the photo's dont show it but there is alot of room for the run up and you can get quite alot of speed up. in am hoping to learn to do tricks on them but im planning on having three jumps on this down ramp and this jump will be by far the smallest of them. :D as for the grass i dont plan on digging it up but i might cut the run up real short with the mower.
yeah mate sounds good. Sounds like it will have some nice flow. The grass will just die off after a couple weeks of riding it anyway :) I wish I could build dirt jumps in my backyard haha!

stixmtb

Squid
yeah mate sounds good. Sounds like it will have some nice flow. The grass will just die off after a couple weeks of riding it anyway :) I wish I could build dirt jumps in my backyard haha!
yer mate im real lucky i have the room:D. i really hope that that thay have good flow and ill hopefully be able to build another after them if i have enough room. thanks for the input ;)

Bilza_ridez

Banned
sweet

mate they look awesome
its also really cool how you fit it in your backyard
and great technique with the building using bricks
im gonna use the same techniques when building my doubles

Great work :)

stixmtb

Squid
mate they look awesome
its also really cool how you fit it in your backyard
and great technique with the building using bricks
im gonna use the same techniques when building my doubles

Great work :)
hey mate thanks alot. yer im really happy with the way the first jump has turned out:D. and im glad that i have inspired you;)

hopfully will get some more progress done tomorow night

JimmyG

Likes Bikes
ha thats so sweet you put em in your backyard. My backyard not big enough to put jumps in:p. but its mad idea good work.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They're looking good so far mate, keep up the good work. Also good work thinking of using the bricks, hope you don't mind but I'm going to copy you idea there and use them on my trail where there isn't a heap of dirt.

stixmtb

Squid
ha thats so sweet you put em in your backyard. My backyard not big enough to put jumps in:p. but its mad idea good work.
yer im lucky i have the room and my parents allow me to use some of it:p

They're looking good so far mate, keep up the good work. Also good work thinking of using the bricks, hope you don't mind but I'm going to copy you idea there and use them on my trail where there isn't a heap of dirt.
i had alot of bricks lying around so i thought ill use them to my advantage:)
glad i could help out

Last edited:

stixmtb

Squid
hey guys its been pouring down rain here in the last couple days so the soil is in mint condition. i got some decent work done on the middle jump and it is now looking great just need some sunshine to help it set. i also added an extra set of bricks on the brick jump which has really given it some more lift. heres some pics

tell me what you think

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its looking solid and the middle is looking really smooth, just wondering how big is the gap? Because it doesn't look very big. I'm not implying anything about your skills, I can't talk there, just will you be over shooting the landing or is it bigger in real life/ you wont have that much speed going into it?

stixmtb

Squid
Its looking solid and the middle is looking really smooth, just wondering how big is the gap? Because it doesn't look very big. I'm not implying anything about your skills, I can't talk there, just will you be over shooting the landing or is it bigger in real life/ you wont have that much speed going into it?
hey mate yer the gap is larger then it looks in the Pictures but it is probally a bit small. thats just my error and is partly because i built the down ramp first. that doesnt really bother me as im not the best dirt jumper, i just wanted something fun to muck around on in the backyard :D

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey mate yer the gap is larger then it looks in the Pictures but it is probally a bit small. thats just my error and is partly because i built the down ramp first. that doesnt really bother me as im not the best dirt jumper, i just wanted something fun to muck around on in the backyard :D
haha yeah fair enough and im not saying anything about skill there cause im not to great myself yet
:( still would be great fun no matter what (Y)

stixmtb

Squid
thanks mate yer should be good fun;)

Also anybody know the best solution when the face starts to crack. iv heard of just watering it alot and smoothing it until they stop forming. anybody got any better solutions?:confused:

sedifus

Likes Dirt
thanks mate yer should be good fun;)

Also anybody know the best solution when the face starts to crack. iv heard of just watering it alot and smoothing it until they stop forming. anybody got any better solutions?:confused:
Im pretty sure if you put on another layer of mud to fill the cracks and smooth over the top it will work. Just make sure it dries slowly to avoid cracks though

song

Likes Dirt
Kewl jumps i got some in my backyard but a bit more bigger and steeper, the problem i find is when you want your jumps to be bigger you need more dirt and then you need more space, i just solved that stuff by turning my backyard into a pump track! :)