My first 8 inches in the rear : o (Banshee Scythe)

rsquared

Likes Dirt
**** Built up today. Better photos in daylight tomorrow****

Well I'm heading back over to Whistler but this time for the season to work and ride so I thought it was time to finally upgrade from the hardtail.

As Whistler has just about every type of riding you could think of I didn't want something that was pure downhill or a pure slopestyle/dirtjumper. I was chasing something that could run a big single crown fork up front and something around 7-8" travel in the rear and could take the Whistler abuse.

I was tossing up between a few frames for a fair while including the Commencal Furious and Cove STD but then made a bit of a spur of the moment purchase and bought a Banshee Scythe frame.

Below is my intended spec list so far. I will post progress pictures as I buy the different bits and assemble the bike.

Let us know what you think of the spec list I've got so far and any suggestions you've got for the parts I haven't decided on yet.

frame Banshee Scythe
paint New Bright White powdercoat thanks to GRIP
forks Totem Solo Air (white)
shock Vivid 5.1 (350 pound spring)
wheels Hope Pro II front, 2009 Saint rear, on mavic 823's (black), DT competition DB spokes (black), ultegra 6500 12-25
brakes 2009 Saint
derailuer 2009 Saint
cranks 2009 Saint - 36t
shifter 2009 Saint
chainguide Gamut P30 ISCG 05
pedals Gusset Slim Jim Magnesium (off old bike, waiting for deity decoy's)
chain Shimano Dura-ace XTR 7701
stem Sunline 1.5" (waiting for Thomson elite)
handlebar Sunline V1 lo-rise 711mm bars
grips ODI ruffian (gold)
headset FSA Orbit Extreme Pro 1.5"
seat Sella Italia Troy Lee Design
tyres Tubeless Minion

Thanks for looking.

<Latest Update>:

- Literally built it up this morning, bounced on it a couple of times, through it in the car (very gently) and drove 6 hours to a very non sunny, Sunshine Coast. Will get out to ride it ASAP.
- Changes to come are Thomson Elite stem (when the Australian internet bike store I ordered it off over 1 1/2 months ago gets it to me!), a 400 pound spring possibly if I'm too much of a fatty for the 350 and deity decoy pedals when my bike store get them in

Attachments

Last edited:

blazer

Likes Dirt
I suggest Sunline stem and V1 bars.
Seems like a damn good spec already, can't wait for some pics.

tomdh

Likes Bikes
wait for some 09/10 Funn handlebars they look like they are going to be good and light. (I'm not talking about the coloured anodized ones though) with a Sunline AM stem

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sounds good, get some straightline pedles, sooooo good and pimp as, and a straightline stem to match, those things are nice.

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the replies guys.

Money isn't really an issue with the build and I don't mind spending the dollars to get quality gear but I'm not going to throw coin away just so I can have a part with a certain brand name (ie. Chris king headset) if I can't justify it with quality. Whistler won't really care how bling a part is, if it's not quality it just won't stand up to the abuse and I'll be having to replace it after no time.

A mate of mine up here at rocky has bent 2 straitline axles and I've read on the forums as well that the axles have a tendency to do that so I'm not sold on them at the moment.

I'll keep looking and keep the comments coming.

Bacca

Likes Dirt
This is going to be one very nice bike :cool:.

Straitline for a pinch clamp stem. I like straitline pedals and haven't seend them bend yet. Sunline V1 for the bars and seat. Oury for the grips.

Last edited:

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
your stinkin banshee

Hoi Hoi

Man that bike looks really crap - ahahha - joke, let me ride it you Whistler bandit!

Coming up to Rocky soon for some Dawg runs - you better have the pig finished.

Got the bike back from Grip yet?

Eyes

scotty beefs

Likes Dirt
This bike is gunna suck - you should get an a red and poo brown M3 with flecky chipped white dodgily painted fox 40s. I would.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is going to be one hell of a sweet ride. Can not wait to see it finished, but the all white theme already looks amazing.

Please build it faster, your killing me. :eek:

jon55sey

Likes Dirt
The pedals I bent were old models, Dale. Since gettin my new warranty jobs they haven't budged. They have a different axle or some shit.

Sunline bars are the goods too. Feel heaps sick and are a good width.

But like beefs said, you can't go wrong with a busted up multi-coloured M3. I love you beefs.

rsquared

Likes Dirt
The pedals I bent were old models, Dale. Since gettin my new warranty jobs they haven't budged. They have a different axle or some shit.

Sunline bars are the goods too. Feel heaps sick and are a good width.

But like beefs said, you can't go wrong with a busted up multi-coloured M3. I love you beefs.
haha. Jonnesy you just love "the beef"... and donkey lamps! :)

Yeah I heard they had upgraded the axles on straitlines. Will look into them, they seem to be all the rage at the moment. I spose I can sell out and be a brand wh0re just once!

I've been looking around for a half poo brown / half read M3 for ages but the paint jobs just weren't flakey enough for me.... That's why it has taken me song long to get a full suspension I had to compromise, give up my dream of owning a fugly m3 and get this terrible Banshee.. haha.