My FOX Float CTD Evolution has gone soft

And to top things off, I was going to washing my bike today as when I dropped it off it was straight after a ride, and I found a small mark on the shock stantion that wasn't there when I dropped the bike.

Sent pictures to the guys at Trailmix so see what happens.

That will teach me for not looking over the bike when I picked it up, but I was in a hurry.

FML.
Hey mate,

I am at the shop tomorrow from about 8am to late. You are more than welcome to come in, and I can assess to see exactly what might be the continuing issue with the shock. Wont cost you anything, but we can nut out exactly what may be the issue - possibly a blown shim if its still soft, and sinks bit.

4A/47 Plenty road, Preston.

Brad

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
As of this coming Saturday, my bike has been out of action for 6 weeks.

Still waiting for a response from Trailmix. SOLA Sport as washed their hands of the matter saying the shock arrived without the damage and left without the damage.

Trailmix have been dragging this on with no communication beyond when I hound them for some sort of update. On Monday they where trying to make a decision about what they would do. Ultimately I will be paying for a replacement shaft based on what they have told me so now it's the labour.

Six weeks.

Dropped off the bike to have the shock looked at and while it was there have a front and back service.

A week later I got a call it was ready and by pure chance I asked what the damper fix was. At that point I discovered it hadn't been done, just the service was carried out.

Then it took another week before it was decided they couldn't carry out the work and they would have to send it off.

2 weeks from then until I got the call the bike was done.

This is where my stupidity kicked in. I picked up the bike on a Friday during work hours so didn't check anything, just grabbed it and took it home, put it on the wall.

Only looked it over on Sunday and noticed the scratch.

2 weeks later and here we are, with a bike on my wall that I don't know if I can ride, nor do I want to as the damage has a sharp edge so will chew out the seals I just had replaced.

/Vent.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Terrible state of affairs. All I can suggest, is if its going to cost serious $$$ to fix, then consider replacing the shock with a RS Monarch. They can be had for around $200 off ebay and you can fully service the thing yourself. You will never be without your bike for 6 weeks waiting on someone else.

Terrible state of affairs. All I can suggest, is if its going to cost serious $$$ to fix, then consider replacing the shock with a RS Monarch. They can be had for around $200 off ebay and you can fully service the thing yourself. You will never be without your bike for 6 weeks waiting on someone else.
Definitely true - can just pick up a RS and wack her on - will run sweet for x amount of time - but not everyone has the time, mechanical knowledge, etc etc to perform their own shock services. I mean, I cant remember the last time I had time to service my shock and I know exactly how to do it. So does not matter what shock you have, still got to have a basic idea of how2shock, and time.

Just comes down to educating the consumer with honesty from the retailer. Why would a person in their right mind send a product to X who then sends the product to Y to get serviced, Y sends it back to X, and X gives it back to the customer at 25%-50% more than what the service would cost from an independent if they knew that was happening?

90-95% of retailers have no clue what to do in regards to suspension (no fault of their own - tooling, education and trial and error is very expensive and to invest all that for a staff member to potential leave? Smart option not to invest in suspension), so why not recommend the customer straight up to visit specialty service centre X or Y who can have this done in 2 days max for you, save the customer $50-$100 and at the same time you wipe your hands clean of any issues that may arise ever again - its all on the independent.

It will also swing both ways, the independent would then recommend customers in the region of that retailer to shop there, buy some tyres, tubes etc and get their general bicycle servicing done at this joint. Sharing the load and doing what you do well is key. Half doing what you don't do well is not key, or sensible.

fedor346

Likes Dirt
I vote the monarch as well.
Though I'm not sure being Specialized if he'll need the proprietory version for the clevis yoke thing.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I vote the monarch as well.
Though I'm not sure being Specialized if he'll need the proprietory version for the clevis yoke thing.
Yep, will need a special version. I agree about the monarch though, I've tried the CCDB inline on the enduro and wasn't impressed. Have heard of a lot of issues with the inline on the enduro as well (strangely the older CCDB seems to be fine??).

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Stop the press! new development.

Looks like a fellow burner is coming to my aid and potentially will have me riding this weekend! :whoo:

More to come shortly...

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Massive shout out to Brad @ Tekin!

Had a chat with him on FB last night and popped past the shop today.

He looked over the shock and damage, suggested it wasn't bad enough to replace the shaft but gave me some tips on what to do about it.

Then while I was there I bought a VS corset which he installed, while insisting I had a beer, and fine tuned the shock for my weight etc.

Walked out with a massive smile on my face, a bit more knowledge about my shock AND knowing I can be trail ready this weekend!

His shop is a whisker over an hour from my place, but based on today's experience I have been converted, and should have listened to you guys in this thread earlier when you told me to see him.

Now I just need to continue my saga with Trailmix to get some compensation for the damage and the world is in balance again.

Markee

Likes Dirt
I just left Tekin an hour ago and can also confirm that yes, :hail: Brad is a FREAKIN LEGEND! He sorted me out with a new 2016 Fox Float X2 shock for the Remedy and engineered a new mounting solution to make it look as if it came from Trek just like that! Beers were also had!

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I just left Tekin an hour ago and can also confirm that yes, :hail: Brad is a FREAKIN LEGEND! He sorted me out with a new 2016 Fox Float X2 shock for the Remedy and engineered a new mounting solution to make it look as if it came from Trek just like that! Beers were also had!
If it's not a rude question, how much was the X2?

Markee

Likes Dirt
If it's not a rude question, how much was the X2?

So RUDE! haha $899. It definitely is a lot but OMG test riding tmrw and then again on Sundays at YY. Brad is gonna come along and fine tune/dial it in for me and my riding. He also fitted a Vorsprung TLA to my 34's about 6 weeks ago so the bike is where I want it now. Best thing is I can take it with me to another frame quite easily.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
So RUDE! haha $899. It definitely is a lot but OMG test riding tmrw and then again on Sundays at YY. Brad is gonna come along and fine tune/dial it in for me and my riding. He also fitted a Vorsprung TLA to my 34's about 6 weeks ago so the bike is where I want it now. Best thing is I can take it with me to another frame quite easily.
Similar to a CCDB air, wouldn't mind trying one sometime.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Just for shits and giggles.

After more emails, FB messages, still no response from Trailmix.

I've given up calling as it seems anyone I talk to can't actually tell me anything.

Posted a public comment on the FB page, hoping that may get some sort of acknowledgement.

This is really just getting silly.

If anyone is every thinking about allowing Trailmix to even look in the direction of their bike, don't.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
He-hey! What do you know, a reply from the owner. Who is in the US at the moment. Which us news to me given I was told the decision is with the owner.

They are looking at getting quotes for the part and replacement... Even though in my last 2 communications I said I had the issue sorted and was looking as a part refund as resolution.

Communication, not strong point externally or internally.

specci82

Likes Dirt
I've used NSD before and they had my items fixed and returned to me alot faster than the time it took Tekin to fix parts i've sent to them earlier (Im also in Melbourne). NSD send via express also.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
And finally. A resolution.

It largely seems that the business owner at Trailmix was unaware of what a complete cluster-cuss this was been.

He's agreed to a resolution I feel is fair.

THAT.WAS.EPIC!

I've used NSD before and they had my items fixed and returned to me alot faster than the time it took Tekin to fix parts i've sent to them earlier (Im also in Melbourne). NSD send via express also.
Previous (pre June / July 14) or current?

Definitely worked hard to supply a 1-2 day turnaround for the last 12 months. Only time we've been late is if parts have been simply unavailable at that time or the reply from customer of quote/ works supply has been longer than usual.

OR freight companies have gone loopy.

Any feedback is good.

Cheers