My Giant Reign XO

Mantra

Likes Bikes
I've had this ride for 4 months now and thought it's about time I posted it up on good 'ol Farkin.

07 Giant Reign XO with 6.7" of Maestro Travel
Fox 36 Float RC2 Air 160mm
Fox DHX Air 4.0 with adjustable Pro Pedal
Mavic Crossmax SX UST wheelset with Michelins
Sram X0/X9 components
Avid Juicy 7's
Raceface Atlas Cranks
Carbon Riser bars
SDG Bel Air seat with Ti rails
Woodman "Spikeys" pedals
She weighs in at 14.1kgs

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/symonz_2007/Image005.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/symonz_2007/Image001.jpg

Last edited:

Rik

logged out
Sub 14kg is stupid, that's lighter than my "trail" hardtail :eek:
These are fantastic bikes, how can you go wrong with a price, spec, ride and weight like that.

Mantra

Likes Bikes
how about a bit of a review on how it handles,( corners, takes drops, uphills ???)
It handles like a dream. I ride on trails mostly like St Helena's, Oaks, Great Nth Rd and it really soaks up the drops/bumps. The difference from my previous bike (Kona Stinky) was quite incredible. Due to the lightness of the bike it took some time to get comfortable cornering at speed I must admit but that's no longer an issue. Climbing, this is where this bike comes into it's own...no pedal bob and you really climb with ease. My mate who rides a Faith was amazed at his acceleration/speed riding it uphill when we swapped bikes..whilst I worked up a tremendous sweat riding his lol. I'm eager to see how it performs with the air shocks pumped up at Threddy and Stromlo.

thanks mate it sounds like an awesome bike and looks like one to, i'm just looking around at the moment and i think this has just conviced what to get
have fun at stormlo and thredbo:)

Mantra

Likes Bikes
thanks mate it sounds like an awesome bike and looks like one to, i'm just looking around at the moment and i think this has just conviced what to get
have fun at stormlo and thredbo:)
Hopefully I'll get a chance to ride Thredbo next year. We weren't allowed in this year due to the bushfires which cancelled our trip

Viv92

Eats Squid
Looks really awesome. I wish I were you at the moment. Those floats look daym fine, Fox really are the best, if you have the money.

timh

Likes Bikes
Yeah that looks awesome. I'm a little jealous because I actually have the X1. I wasn't sure about full air springs and didn't really want to fork out the extra 2k. Do you think it was worth it in the end?

That pinkbike review was funny though. They did almost the exact same things to theirs as i did to mine: Swapped stem for 50mm, was going to run a chain guide but decided against it (might still try a dual ring one), swapped out the tires for some that don't flat so easy (having said that.. i still have had some shitty luck with punctures).

So far the only problems i've had with mine after owning it for a couple of months.

1. Brakes (Juicy 5) have too much throw in them. I just need to get them re-bled at the shop but don't want to because i use it too much!
2. Bottom bracket is making some creaking noises. could be the free hub?
3. Rear hub pisses me off. not enough engage points or something.
4. Anodised finish is a pain to keep clean. Dirt/dust just kind of stays in the grain if you know what i mean.

Last edited:

Mantra

Likes Bikes
Do you think it was worth it in the end?
It was most definitely worth it, it was just a hard pill to swallow at the time lol. The RC's lets me adjust everything which is a big advantage depending on where you ride. My previous shocks (Psylos) were great but weren't adjustable which really mattered on the more trecherous downhills. I also got the tubeless crossmax's (great rims/hubs) in that price and having not had a single flat tyre is fantastic considering that my nickname was Pinchy due to how often I pinchflatted (almost every ride). This bike will be in my stable for a lifetime. What to buy next is the question :)

Last edited: