My hopping bike (now with shiny booster stuff)

wombat

Lives in a hole
Well, I got sick of sucking at all the other types of riding, so now I can suck at trials too!

That's the current state of it, hopefully it'll have some Spanish Flies soon, and a respray in the not too distant future. 8spd conversion is also on the cards.

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
hmmm, i wonder were i have seen that before. nice bike, jaysion did good job upgrading that, its a sick bike.

Spooky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i love it mate, roughly how much was it to put together, (I can see Rhino forks)

:p

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah, Jay had it set up pretty solidly for a beginner bike.

Spooky said:
i love it mate, roughly how much was it to put together, (I can see Rhino forks)
Price? Well yes they're rhino forks, and a rhino frame too :wink: . I have no idea how much was spent on before I got a hold of it, but I picked it quite cheaply ($400) and then just chucked on the new bars (retail: $60) rear tyre ($30ish?) and new brakes. The brakes are Avid SD-5 calipers, AD levers I'm borrowing off Rik, and trick Jagwire compressionless outer cable. They feel pretty good, but I can't wait to get a good set of pads on there.

mtb_man

Likes Dirt
Lovely, it's good to see people still getting into trials. Save up for a rear Magura at the least, v's are fine for mucking about on but Maggies are the only way to go.

Good luck with it :)

wombat

Lives in a hole
mtb_man said:
Lovely, it's good to see people still getting into trials. Save up for a rear Magura at the least, v's are fine for mucking about on but Maggies are the only way to go.
I plan on sticking with the vees for the forseeable future actually.

Chewy: I ended up sticking the original one on which is the, um.....85mm? It's got a fair whack of rise though, and I'm slowly getting used to it (I've given up on blaming equpiment and embraced the fact that I suck.)

The Zigster

Likes Dirt
wombat said:
I've given up on blaming equpiment and embraced the fact that I suck
Nooooo, by all means, blame the equipment until you can upgrade no further! Otherwise other trials hacks like myself will feel obliged to follow your above example!

wombat

Lives in a hole
freeride_sweet said:
All you need is some hydro rims brakes
Nah, not for the time being anyway. There seems to be ample power in the front brake, and the back is almost adequate now, good pads should make it more than so.
I really can't justify the cost or the hassles of maggies for the time being.

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks great!! Just wait till you get some Spanish fly's on there!

mtb_man said:
noooooo, you only bother with maggies on a 4bolt frame! V's are just as powerful as Maggies now-a-days. I run them on my pure for 2 reasons, I like the feel of hydro better that cables and it's a dedicated 4 bolt frame.
The other thing is that if you can ride well with crappy brakes, ie get your landings and takeoffs set, then it means you are a much better rider (I'm looking at you mitchy ;) )

If you feel you need more power still wombat, get yourself Shimano carbon booster, by all reports from Simon, Peace and Dave (never had one myself), they are the goods when it comes to V-boosters.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah, the current pads (cheapy jagwire things I had kicking around) are just lacking in hold a little bit, not the most confidence inspiring thing. The flies are on order at the moment, just waiting for stock to come, soon I hope!

A booster is pretty high on the list too, but alas funds are short. Are those carbon boosters still available from Shimano Aus?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Well, during Friday afternoon's drinking / mechanical session, this little thing was found in someone's random shit box:

Brillant, just what I need! Shame about the looks though, it's pretty beat up.

So I figured I'd get stuck into it with the stripper and buff, added a little colour just for good measure. Came out looking something like this:

(I got inspired by Mr. Benny's photos, unfortunately though I, unlike him, suck at photography, and have a stupid little camera with a flash that won't listen to me, so I end up with a nice pinky photo).

Bolt it on and presto! Much better brake feel, here's the final setup (with proper colour balance to boot).

naz

Criminally Inane
freeride_sweet said:
All you need is some hydro rims brakes
rim brakes are actually more powerful than hydro v's.

most people use them for the feel but i still know alot of bludy good riders who use v's (lenosky, peace, my old monty haha :p)