My new planned Whistler rig

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Frame: 2010 Santa Cruz V10 w/ Fox Rc4 shock
Fork: 2010 Fox 40
Wheels: Front - Hope ProII laced to 721's (ordered); Rear - DT Swiss 340 laced to 721, 12-23 Ultegra road cassette (Ordered)
Cranks: 2010 Saint with 36t blackspire ring (ordered)
Brakes: 2010 Saint (ordered)
Derailler: 2010 Saint short cage (ordered)
Shifter: 2010 Saint (ordered)
Headset: FSA Orbit extreme pro (ordered)
Stem: Answer direct mount stem (ordered)
Chainguide: White Gamut P30 (ordered)
Bars: Answer Pro Taper 780 DH bar 1/2" rise (ordered)
Grips: ODI rogue lock ons (ordered)
Pedals: Kona Wah-Wah's
Seat: SDG Bel Air I-beam (ordered)

Think that's about the plan so far. Will be arriving back in whistler this week and plan to start the build. Pretty well sold on most of the choices apart from rims, headset, and grips. Interested in peoples thoughts on the build or what could be improved.

Attachments

Last edited:

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like its going to be a sweet ride.

For wheels, 721's are good, fairly light but no where near as strong as 823's. It if you want durability or weight, i think the difference you'll feel in minimal.

But, if you run sensible pressures, and aren't too much of a hack then 721's should be fine.
Pretty sure they're cheaper too.

Good luck with the process!

HAR

Likes Bikes
That looks well sorted man, going to be awesome :cool:

As for rims, unless you want to run tubeless, I don't think the extra weight and wheel build/maintenance issues of the 823 are worth it, I'd go 721 for sure.

And if you want a nice low stack headset I don't think anything is as low as the new Crank Brothers headsets, I'd be looking at one of those.

Can't wait to see pics :)

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
Sounds like it will be an awesome build.

As far as rims go, I've heard Whistler can be a bit of a bitch like that, so I would be building up the strongest wheelset I could. Weight savings are probably not all that necessary considering the massive gravity fed nature of the place.

But im running 721's at the moment and they are holding up fine. Just keep the spokes tight and you're all good.

supermajo1

Likes Dirt
that sounds sweet.
as for parts.
buy strong parts because even though it is unlikely.
if you broke something it might make your trip to whistler not as fun as planned.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you want lighter than a 721 with the strength of an 823 then buy Alex Supra D rims.

I have run the 721s and they are like butter.

823s are good and strong, but they are heavy.

Supra Ds is the answer.

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Cheers for the replies guys.

Working the season in whistler again so not a short trip. Ran 823's on my Banshee scythe last season for whistler as I was gonna run tubeless till I worked out that tubeless with tubeless minions sucks balls for downhill so ended up running tubes. With minimal maintenance and many loose spokes (loose as in a couple actually unwound the whole way and come out of the nipples) the 823's held up fine, they are a strong rim. They are heavy although if you are running tubeless they weight you save on tubes actually makes them about the same weight as a 721.

I've also run 721's on a HARDTAIL for a 3 week whistler and north shore trip and they handled everything I through at them including all garbonzo trails and a couple of large crashes. Only concern with 721's is the sidewalls and there love for getting dents.

Would get supraD's but I'll be getting my wheels from CRC as you just can't beat there prices for fully built wheels and they don't do SupraD's.

I'm no hack and on a V10 I think the 721's will be fine, think I might go with them. Might possibly look at 721 front, 823 back as a bit of a compromise. Thanks for the input guys.

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Well am back in whistler and the weather has been perfect for riding since I've been back. Light rain at nights and morning then sunshine during the day. Tacky trails!!!

So I've ordered basically all the parts for this bike except the frame and fork. The spec changed slightly from my initial plan but it's still gonna be one hell of a nice ride I think. Updated status on original post.

rsquared

Likes Dirt
So have had the new ride for a couple of weeks now. Photo's are up on original post. Big thanks to Matt and North Shore Bike Shop in Vancouver for the forks. Dealt with this guy a few times now and he blows me away with his customer service every time, drop in and see him if you need any bikes or parts when you come over on your whistler trips. He personally delivered the fork from Vancouver to Whistler and was going to install it for me as well for the same really cheap price I got the forks for. Another big thanks to the boys in Garbonzo Bike and Bean, Whistler for the frame and building the bike up. Even though I bought the majority of my parts for this bike online they were still more than happy to let me use there workshop, tools and time to assemble the bike. When you are in Whistler and you break your bike (it's not a question of if you do, it's when...) drop in and see the boys, they like beer as well!

So already I've destroyed a rotor a couple of spokes in the rear wheel and the rear rim will do lucky to see the season out.

The ride so far has been bumpy and bruising. I got the bike 2 days before Garbonzo DH race at Crankworx. 2 big crashes in that race. Next race was Canadian Open DH the following week. Every practice run and my race run saw me having a big crash. Was a rough week. It has taken a while to sort the shock and fork out. I've put a harder spring both and am running a 500lb spring in the rear and a green (I think) spring in the front. I way about 90kg's with gear. At the moment the 40's aren't performing how'd I like, they seem a bit hard and ramp up fairly quickly. I'm going to pull them about and do the oil change and see how they feel or else I might go back to the lighter spring which they came with initially.

Overall, I'm amazed at how well it pedals for a 10inch bike. Cornering is a lot better and more predictable than my old bike. You can just throw a leg out, lean this bike over and know it's either gonna rail the berm or drift beautifully around the corner you have it pointed at. Of course everyone knows it handles the rough stuff beautifully and yes I've noticed I carry a lot more speed through rough rock gardens compared to my old single pivot. I don't find it that hard to jump although it's the small stuff that it's harder to do like the little pop off of roots or pre jump little rollers etc. It wants to stay stuck to the ground.

So a couple of weeks in I'm still fine tuning it but loving it as well. Time to go ride the park some more right now.