My New Project!

booerns

Likes Dirt
So after about a year or two off the bike, I've finally decided it's time to get back into it and get my fitness back, starting with a brand new frame! I managed to pick up this mint '08 BMC Streetfire SSX off eBay. I've read quite a few reviews on it, all things point towards very aggressive geometry and a very stiff and responsive frame, so I'm looking forward to getting her built up! It was priced quite reasonably for $400 including:
- FSA K-Force Light Carbon Handlebars
- FSA K-Force Light 25mm setback carbon seatpost
- FSA K-Force 100mm stem
- Old Fizik saddle (not sure what model, but looks barely used)
- Easton EC70 Carbon Fork
tumblr_mt635iNXSk1qds2aqo1_500.jpg
There's not even a single scratch on it either! The previous owner was a total nut about keeping it in perfect shape and he did an amazing job at keeping it immaculate. Altogether, I'm very happy with my purchase, feels really light too! In the meantime, I'm going to swap over the parts from my brothers old road bike (which is too big for me) so I can get it up and rolling, and then I plan to slowly upgrade it with better parts and wheels from there! The plan is to get back into riding 3 days a week (minimum) as well as possibly start commuting a few days a week when I'm working day shifts only as it's only about a 14km journey (I don't fancy riding home after a 14 hour shift at 1am or 2am)

Thanks for having a look, I'll try keep it updated as often as work permits!

booerns

Likes Dirt
Whoops, I forgot to mention the few items on the agenda:
1. Getting a new bottom bracket fitted
2. Finding a way to attach the rear brake at the threaded housing of the brake screw which goes through the frame in between the chain stays is too large in diameter for the pre-made hole in the frame.
3. Need to buy all new cables and housing

Looks like its off the the lbs in the morning for me!

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
Sweet! The SSX has a great ride, its stiff and agile. Thats a pretty good pick up for $400, especially with the K Force components. Love the colour as well. What parts are you getting off the Bro's bike?

Can't wait to see it built up

Jubas

Likes Dirt
(I don't fancy riding home after a 14 hour shift at 1am or 2am)
I've done this a few times after ~18 hour days in the office and it's actually quite nice. You're actually a lot more attentive of your surroundings, and it's fantastic to unwind before heading to bed. I also quite like riding around at 3am in the morning, particularly in the city, when there's no one else around!

Good luck with the project!

booerns

Likes Dirt
Update #2:

So I was meant to go to tafe today, but after getting home from work quite late, and waking up to the rain, I decided to treat myself and take the day off/head to the lbs to pick up some goodies!

Parts now fitted:
- Shimano Tiagra 9 Speed shifter/brake levers - quite a few scratches, but still work well
- Fizik Superlight Micro-Tex Bar Tape - Black

- Shimano Tiagra 9 Speed Rear Derailleur - a bit scratched, but still works well. (sorry for the shitty photo)

- Shimano Tiagra Brakeset - again, pretty old and well used, mechanically they are perfectly fine, I do have a new set of pads ready to attach too

- Spynergy X-Aero Lite - though they're not actually that light, they're a pretty reliable wheel for what I need to get going. However in a few weeks my brothers picking up some new wheels for his bike, so I'm buying his Mavic Ksyrium Elite's off of him! Some new tires are definitely on the agenda soon though

So this is how she looks at the moment:

What's left on the to-do list?
- Crankset & Bottom Bracket
- Non-setback seatpost (anyone interested in my FSA K-Force Carbon Seatpost? 25mm setback!)
- New tires
- New chain

Thanks for looking!

booerns

Likes Dirt
So I'm tossing up between an Ultegra 6700 groupset or a 2013 Sram Force groupset. Any comments/reviews?

I can pick up both of them at relatively the same price. I'm leaning towards Sram at the moment as I've always liked Sram gear and want to stick by them, but I have been recommended to go the Ultegra over the Force, but I was just looking for some more opinons/thoughts

Cheers!

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go Ultegra, but buy it as a groupo...

I am having so much trouble finding 6700 double shifters that aren't Di2 it's not funny any more :drama:

Looks sweet btw :)

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Viable option maybe? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-ultegra-6700-double-10sp-sti-lever/rp-prod40594 (It's cheaper than anything on eBay too, plus free shipping!)

Though I must ask why you recommend Ultegra over Force? Have you personally ever tried both?
Was hoping to find something local because I want them now, however if I had of though more about it I would have had them weeks ago... :drama:

I have used Force however it was when SRAM first brought out their road gear, at the time I was a massive SRAM poster boy with full X0 on two bikes (this was pre XX); to me it just never felt as sure footed as the old Ultegra 9 speed stuff I was running prior. I have 105 currently which has been flawless so the upgrade to Ultegra seemed the right thing to do - however discussing Di2 with someone I ride with today I reckon I may have made a dud choice going mechanical.

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
Personally I run Force & love the double tap, and positive click of each gear. But it is a personal thing.

I've got an Ultegra 6600 mini group available cheap if your interested. (All VGC, Brifters, FD & brakes, with DA 7800 RD & all new inner cables.)

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

booerns

Likes Dirt
however discussing Di2 with someone I ride with today I reckon I may have made a dud choice going mechanical.
Why do you say that? I always thought it was just way too overpriced for what it is..

I've got an Ultegra 6600 mini group available cheap if your interested. (All VGC, Brifters, FD & brakes, with DA 7800 RD & all new inner cables.)
What is 6600 mini?

I'm currently leaning towards Sram Force at the moment, I've managed to source a very cheap crankset and BB and the rest is just as cheap if not cheaper than ultegra. I guess the only way to find out is to test it out myself!

booerns

Likes Dirt
Mini as in incomplete. (No crank, cassette or chain)
Ahhh I see. well I sat on it all day and couldnt decide either way after reading so many good and bad reviews for each, however I made snap decision based upon a dirt cheap force crankset off eBay and the rest of the group was significantly cheaper than the Ultegra.

So now unfortunately, its that time to play the game we all despise, the waiting game! I have to say though, I'm very excited, I think this is the nicest piece of kit I've ever bought myself!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forum Fiend v1.0.

booerns

Likes Dirt
Update: So today my 2013 groupset arrived - minus the brakes. Most parts are now subsequently attached and looking shiny. All that is left is to wait for my new bottom bracket, and my front mech adaptor for the seat tube. Also attached are a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite's. Not only are they light and look awesome, but the hubs sound swish too with a nice audible click to them! Attached is the goods that arrives today, I'll put some pics of the bike up tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

booerns

Likes Dirt
So I've been a bit lazy in terms of getting around to posting up the complete build. So here are the photos!

Yummy carbon!

More carbon

12-28t Short Cage

All that is left now is to wait for the delivery of my front mech seat tube adaptor clamp, new tires as the white walled ones are a few years and 1000's of kms old and the brakeset should be arriving tomorrow!

booerns

Likes Dirt
Looks good, I bet you cant wait to see it finished :hungry:
I've done a few runs to work so far, man she's great to ride! I did manage to snap the chain on a ride home (just around the corner from home thank god) due to having no front derailleur and I forgot I was in such a high gear, easy fix as I had a bunch of spare links at home. Can't wait to get the front mech and the new brakes sorted though. Miserable ride home tonight after work though, this rain and wind Sydney has suddenly sprouted was horrible! :eek:hwell: