my oldschool freeride/race hardtail .... in 1997!

floody

Wheel size expert
I found this pic recently of one of my old race bikes. I raced DH and slalom on this back in 1997! How things have changed... I was actually fairly competitive in sub junior on this (if I remember rightly I got 5th overall in the VCI state DH series that year)... Now its spot the hardtail in the jnr's classes, lots of rich mummy's/daddy's/more maccas outlets nowadays...

Since pic which was scanned from a print to *.jpg, it isn't the best quality, heres some specs I remember, might make interesting reading for some...

-18.5" (!) 1995 Shogun Team XTR frame, aluminium, beautiful quality, super stiff, filled welds like a cannondale and riveted nickel plated guides! Hand polished every damned week with autosol...
-Manitou Mach 5 fork (not even sure which mach 5 it was now!!). It had crowns from a very early production mach5 which were stronger, I was on my 4th set of upper crowns/legs at this stage, mountainspeed coils, white bros wipers, and some topout setup mods to bring travel up a few millimeters, I'd say I was getting ~75-80mm or so.
-STX-SE CANTIS!!! with KoolStop pads, anodised straddle cable thingies. Vees were a luxury I could not afford, and didn't think I needed....
-STX sti levers, 7spd/3spd
-Velocity AeroHeat Deep V rims, STX SE hubs (still have/using the rear hub!!)
-LX rear mech, old 7 spd LX cassette
-Azonic World Force risers, 1.5" , with Answer grips.
-40mm shorty stem
-DiaCompe aheadset
-1995 XTR front derailleur, I manufactured delrin inserts for DH and used to lock it in the big ring
-XT BB, Sugino cranks, sugino stainless rings (no ramps on 42t big ring)
-SDG full kevlar saddle, ti rails, on a zoom post.
-Avitar Ti seatpost binder.
-Specialized downhill tyres, the original ones, with the funny anti-rolling-off-the-bead sidewalls and hefty weight. I think I went back to my few remaining Smoke/Dart SC 2.2" tyres when those crappy things wore out.

I took 3rd in subbies at a nationals dual slalom on this thing! :twisted: I also used to ride it to school each day and race anything and everything from XC to BMX cruiser on it!
It snapped in half about 6 months after this photo.

Rik

logged out
Dude, I fucken love it!
I think the forks are SX's? Reminds me of what I would've dreamed about when I was just getting into the sport. Shame it seems to be lacking anodised purple, but alas, it still looks good.

These days, that'd be considered an XC race bike :lol: Oh how times have changed.

floody

Wheel size expert
well, the brake hanger thingies were ano'd light blue, so was the seat binder (but you can't see it pics faded)... :D
I nearly forgot, I had VP BATWINGS!! lol

floody

Wheel size expert
Fastrider Gus - I used to race that thing downhill, street/urban , ride to school, BMX track, dirt jumps, hell even had it at the skate park a few times!!