My rigid, lugged 4130 street bike...

Ryan

Radministrator
Yeoww! My commuter for getting to and from uni...total cost to set this baby up; $55 :)

<p align=center></p>

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I cunno bout the bikes. But that concrete thing in the beckground of the first pic look slik eit would be fun to ride...Is that a stock AC Bar/Grip?? Nice commuter. :D

lotec

Banned
how do you plan to start up on that with it in that gear or do you live in the steepest hill in australia and go down it to uni? :lol: that rear derallier looks really.......... wierd nice bike, but its nothing on my huffy :p

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
CHEWY said:
What do you mean by "lugged"?
It's the type of construction, the tubes are slid into "sockets" or lugs at the head tube, bottom bracket and junction of seat and top tube, and brazed.

Some old school lugs are beautiful works of hand filing and sawing. There was a frame builder in Sydney named Fred Morgan whose bikes look like works of art. As far as I know the only charge for one of his frames was 20kg of coffee, and you had to ride 10000 km with him. He would only offer to make you a frame, you could not ask him for one. My mate had one, I'd die for one today.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
dunk said:
CHEWY said:
What do you mean by "lugged"?
It's the type of construction, the tubes are slid into "sockets" or lugs at the head tube, bottom bracket and junction of seat and top tube, and brazed.

Some old school lugs are beautiful works of hand filing and sawing. There was a frame builder in Sydney named Fred Morgan whose bikes look like works of art. As far as I know the only charge for one of his frames was 20kg of coffee, and you had to ride 10000 km with him. He would only offer to make you a frame, you could not ask him for one. My mate had one, I'd die for one today.
Ahhhh! Of course! My old mans roadie is made in that way.
Whats the point of using lugs building a frame? I couldnt imagine it being any lighter than just braze welding the tubes together...

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stronger and stiffer, I'm not an expert on welding, but I don't think brazing is actually strong enough on its own to join tubes, you need the lugs, a firm fit, and the brazing to provide a structural joint.