XC My Scott Spark 40

MATTY R

Likes Dirt
This is my new ride for this year. I picked it up just before Christmas and I love it. I’ve only ridden hard tail for xc for the past 6 years, but decided on a dueller as I think I might get into a bit of endurance racing.
It’s a pretty fun bike to ride considering that its marketed more towards xc racing but with 110mm rear and 120mm front travel it still has a bit of a chuckable feel.
I really don’t think it’s that much slower on the climbs as my old GT hard tail, though it more than makes up for it when the track points down!

Ive changed a few things, FSA bar and stem, FSA afterburner 2x10 cranks and my trusty Selle Italia SL seat, Im sure many more upgrades will be on the cards.

Here is the spec list, with a bit of commentary.

Frame - 2011 Scott Spark 40 Alloy 6061 Double Butted. 110mm travel. It feels pretty stiff and it rides very nice.

Rear shock - DT Swiss M210.... Meh, not really happy with it. It’s got a very slight top out that I can’t get rid of. Might be a warranty job

Front shock/fork - Rock Shox Reba RL I’m very happy with the Reba, I was/am a fox boy but I’ve got no complaints.

Handlebars - FSA SL-K carbon. got to have a bit of carbon bling!

Stem - FSA OS-99 Nothing fancy to look at but it’s nice and light

Headset - Ritchey Comp Plus. Semi integrated

Grips - Ritchey Foam lock ons. Not bad grips but they have lost a bit of their spongy feeling, These came off my old bike, the stock Scott ones weren’t lock ons

Saddle - Selle Itallia SL. This came off my old bike as well. I love it, it’s a keeper!

Seat post - Stock Scott..... for now....

Brakes - Avid Elixir 5,185/F and 160/R mm Rotor. Nice brakes for XC, I can’t ever see myself needing more power. 185mm front rotor is a bit of an overkill though

Cranks - FSA Afterburner 386. 2x10. OMG I love these cranks! they look unreal. 39/27 rings. I’m left spinning a bit when things open up and get really fast, but it’s perfect everywhere else.

Chain - Shimano

Pedals - CB Eggbeaters. not everyone’s cup of tea but I’ve got no complaints.

Front derailleur - SLX.

Rear derailleur - XT 10 speed. Not sure all the hype regarding 10 speed was warranted... shifts very smooth, but I can’t tell the difference between it and my old 09 9 speed XT.

F & R shifters - SLX...... do the job just fine.

Cassette - Shimano SLX 10 speed. 11-36. the 36 tooth ring is ridiculous. with the 27t front chain ring it feels like the chain has come off. Spin city! I’ll be changing to a 32 or 34 once it wears out.

Wheelset - DT Swiss 445D with shimano front hub and Scott branded rear hub. Nice wheels but ill proberly upgrade to something lighter down the track.

Tyres - Maxxis crossmark rear and Maxxis Rendez front. running tubes. I’ve tried heaps of different tyres and like this set up the best.

Total weight - 12kg even. I would like to get it closer to 11/11.5 but I’m not too bothered.

pics arnt the best, ill get some more up soon. Pics are before the cranks went on.

Id love to know what you all think :)

Attachments

MATTY R

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate, it actually wasn't overly expensive although I sold almost everything I had laying around to fund it!