My Southern Sojourn

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
Just got back from a family holiday at Canberra & Lake Crackenback.

Had a fantastic time and managed to get a lot of riding in as well which was great.

Canberra - Rode Mt stromlo for the first time, with my son and it was fantastic. Was nervous that it would live up to the hype here and elsewhere (including in my mind) and was NOT disappointed. I loved Skyline and the Luge and even the climbs in the switchbacks were interesting. Perfect riding. My son stacked twice without lasting injuries so there was even some comic relief.

Lake Crackenback - I was really hopeful of some good riding in the Snowys. I had read good reviews of the XC trail around our resort but I have to say when I got there I was disappointed. The track has some singletrail but most of it is merely mown grass. Very little technical stuff and no real climbs or descents. In the end I still enjoyed riding it every day because I was able to work on some skills that I dont usually get a chance to on more challenging tracks. Also I found the track more interesting the faster you go (more flowing). The highlight of riding the traccks at the resort was being able to stop mid ride and swim in the Thredo river. I did actually find a good trail to ride to Thredbo diggings that was more technical and interesting.

Can't wait to go back to Stromlo though!