My Sramano Derailer

fat_tyre_nick

Likes Dirt
Now before you go on and say, "God,another stupid post by fat_tyre_nick..." read on.

As we all know shimano rear mechs bounce, while sram stay still.

My sollution is this....
I made a, what i like to call a "Derailer stopper". Which i made out of a flat spanner.

I then sawed off 3 of the sides and bent the other to rest nicely on the back of my shimano LX derailer.

It is attached to the bike by screwing in to the slot on the derailer hanger.

The problem was that it still moved up. So i simply wrapped a small cable tie around the derailer tightly. So now the derailer does not move at all.

The only doenside to this method is that when time comes to remove the wheel, it will require you to unscrew the bolt attaching it to the derailer hanger. But it is simply just a matter of unscrewing the bolt and sliding it off.

I hope i have explained it to you well but here are the pics.

Attachments

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
why would you do that? it kills the only thing a shimano derailer has going for it!
the reson more sram derailer break is cause they dont push out of the way when you hit stuff (like shimano do) by doing this you stopi it from moving and you still have shimano shifting traitm hrmmm....

Rik

logged out
oz-freerider said:
the reson more sram derailer break is cause they dont push out of the way when you hit stuff
SRAM derailleurs can pivot rearwards from the mounting point, but not forwards. Spring tension on the chain is what keeps them in the forwardmost position.

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes but they dont push up when you hit them on stuff was more my point.
i know they pivot backwards

not being able to push up when hit is what bend's them if they bend it is fixable by filing them but yeh..

Last edited:

fat_tyre_nick

Likes Dirt
oz-freerider said:
yes but they dont push up when you hit them on stuff was more my point.
i know they pivot backwards

not being able to push up when hit is what bend's them if they bend it is fixable by filing them but yeh..
If the derailer is hitl, the bolt attaching the "derailer stopper" should come loose and allow for movement of the derailer.

fat_tyre_nick

Likes Dirt
Yeh so far it is working a treat but occasionally the bolt comes loose, but nothing some loctite wont fix, sorry the pictures were taken on my phone.

TIMOH

Banned
If you use locktite, won't your derailleur snap as you said the bolt will come loose when it takes a hard hit so the derailleur doesn't snap:confused:

fat_tyre_nick

Likes Dirt
yeh good point, so it is an option between, stiffness and and durablilty, but i created it for stiffness so......the decision is easy

S.

ex offender
Scuse me for being late to the party here, but am I not understanding this, or does that actually prevent it from rotating backwards rather than forwards?
(I ask because that's what it looks like, whereas Sram ones stop it pivoting forwards/upwards/towards the chainstay)

Nice work either way. Does it keep the bike any quieter?

tomass

Likes Dirt
sorry i dont understand the theory, i geus having to start work at 6am this mourning doesnt help my concertration

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a zip tie that stops the derailleur from rotating forwards, it would be a lot better if it was the other way around (ei, zip tie stops it from rotating backwards and metal stops from going forwards), cuz if it WAS smashed, the zip tie would just snap allowing some give.

Oz-freerider, i think what you are saying is a load of bullocks, from my experience, a derialleur getting munted is usually when the hanger snaps and the derailleur gets sandwiched in the spokes and frame etc. Not from a little pivot at the b-tension area. Unless your frame doesn't have a replaceable derailleur hanger in which case it would be a very strong steel and then maybe the extra pivot WOULD save the derailleur from getting destroyed.

Last edited:

fat_tyre_nick

Likes Dirt
Yes mugen explained it exactly, though if it is hit forcing it backwards the piece of metal should loosen and alow for movement.

And yes it does quieten down bumps ALOT!