My wax based lube recipe

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Only been using cheap chains, and had a couple in the past that rusted after I washed the bike. But then the wax on them were old. So I suspected it was time to re-wax. The cleaning method (petrol + degreaser + method) will strip the chain of any additives that are originally coated in the factory. So if the outer surface of the chain is no longer waxed, it'll rust after exposed to water.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have given this thread a quick read.

What are yous using to clean brand new chains before applying the wax ?

Thinking of trying this out as my faithful squirt Lube is not recommended for my high pivot bike and the dirt/residue has been giving me the shizz lately.
Been using Rock'n'roll Extreme on my Deviate but nearly ran out.

Also any preferences for a wax brand ? Will get myself one of the $20 Woolies Slow cookers for melting.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Shellite works pretty well to get all the factory grease out. I tend to soak the chain in a container, and pour in the shellite till it covers the chain, then giving it a swirl around now and again. usually leave it overnight, then scrub with an old toothbrush, then pour off the shellite & wipe clean with a clean rag.

ozzybmx

Shellite works pretty well to get all the factory grease out. I tend to soak the chain in a container, and pour in the shellite till it covers the chain, then giving it a swirl around now and again. usually leave it overnight, then scrub with an old toothbrush, then pour off the shellite & wipe clean with a clean rag.
I've watched the AB video, I have both white spirit & mineral turps here, do they work alright ?

What wax are you using ? Or are they all pretty similar.

Ackland

chats d'élevage

Thinking of trying this out as my faithful squirt Lube is not recommended for my high pivot bike and the dirt/residue has been giving me the shizz lately.

Also any preferences for a wax brand ? Will get myself one of the $20 Woolies Slow cookers for melting.
Tsk... you're heading off the deep end.
Order yourself a cheap ultrasonic cleaner. That way, with 100 chains to do a week, it won't take you all day.

Otherwise you want to wash your chains in a strong degreaser a number of times until it stays clear, then apply a strong solvent, then wash in soapy water, rinse and dry completely

PJO

in me vL comy

I just use petrol, still cheap at $2.50 a litre. Soak for at least a day then change and soak again.
Then use metho to get rid of the petrol, then burn off the excess metho on the chain.

Just have paraffin wax bought from ebay.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale

I dump mine in a jar of unleaded that lives on the workbench and give it a swirl every time I walk past. Once I'm ready to wax remove chain and wipe then hang it up to dry for a few minutes.

ozzybmx

Tsk... you're heading off the deep end.
Order yourself a cheap ultrasonic cleaner. That way, with 100 chains to do a week, it won't take you all day.

Otherwise you want to wash your chains in a strong degreaser a number of times until it stays clear, then apply a strong solvent, then wash in soapy water, rinse and dry completely
No 100 chains here ! They had a muffed look when I said it was only for me... then I got mocked with a silly voice calling me 'B__ S_____ Zero Friction' :D

Just thinking of trying something different on 2-3 bikes.

Fed up cleaning lumps of dried Squirt off everything.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I bought a few of these from Bunnings however they don't seem to sell them anymore. Heat the tin over a little portable camping stove and dump the chain in, let the chain come up to the temperature of the wax so it wicks into all the rollers and then hang it up to dry. Not sure if it's the citronella or something else in those candles but I've found this method to be less flaky once dried compared to other waxes.

ozzybmx

Ok, I've ordered some of the Paraffin wax/PTFE off ebay, also grabbed an ultrasonic cleaner.

It will take a week or so to get here so we should be out of isolation and I'll get a $20 slow cooker from Woolies.

Sorted ! Were on the wax train :rolleyes:

Jpez

Down on the left!
No 100 chains here ! They had a muffed look when I said it was only for me... then I got mocked with a silly voice calling me 'B__ S_____ Zero Friction' :D

Just thinking of trying something different on 2-3 bikes.

Fed up cleaning lumps of dried Squirt off everything.
I read that that squirt wasn’t recommended for the Deviate either. But by that stage I’d already been running it with no dramas at all. Tried a couple of others as I have over the years but went back to squirt. How are you having to clean lumps of dried squirt of everything? I find that if you use sparingly and wipe off the excess soon after application it’s great. Anyway I got nothing to contribute to the wax discussion.

ozzybmx

I read that that squirt wasn’t recommended for the Deviate either. But by that stage I’d already been running it with no dramas at all. Tried a couple of others as I have over the years but went back to squirt. How are you having to clean lumps of dried squirt of everything? I find that if you use sparingly and wipe off the excess soon after application it’s great. Anyway I got nothing to contribute to the wax discussion.
I started off using it too then read somewhere that wax lube was not recommended, I semi cleaned the chain and started using R&R Extreme and the drivetrain may be quieter.

The Squirt builds up on Jockeys, chainrings and cassettes... I'm not much of a wiper off'erer ;) I know it should be applied the night before but mine usually get applied as I'm heading out the door.

Going to grab some XTR/XT chains, hot wax them and have a go, see how they perform with lube intervals and distance. Worst case, I'll be back to Squirt.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Been using straight paraffin wax for a while now and it has been great.

Is it worthwhile (noticeable) mixing pfte powder in with the paraffin wax?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Ok, I've ordered some of the Paraffin wax/PTFE off ebay, also grabbed an ultrasonic cleaner.

It will take a week or so to get here so we should be out of isolation and I'll get a $20 slow cooker from Woolies.

Sorted ! Were on the wax train :rolleyes:
what ultrasonic cleaner did you order?

ozzybmx

what ultrasonic cleaner did you order?
Ultrasonic Cleaner -

Paraffin wax & PTFE

Last edited: