Nail polish on carbon frame

Nick Njegac

Likes Bikes
My carbon frame has a few paint chips on it, but luckily, none have gone through and damaged the carbon, only the paint. I'm wondering if I'd be able to use nail polish to seal up the chips. I'm not sure if the chemicals would damage and ruin the carbon, anybody have some experience with doing this or possible alternatives? Cheers

teK--

Eats Squid
I have used clear nail polish it works well apply it with a toothpick sharp end a tiny bit at a time to avoid a big clump.

Or there are clear coat touchup pens you can buy from car shops it is similar but easier to work with I find it's thinner but you need to build up layers.

omac

Likes Dirt
Nail polish is mostly, if not all acetone, Id probably try something a little less aggressive like methanol first.

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My carbon frame has a few paint chips on it, but luckily, none have gone through and damaged the carbon
Don't-care-if-my-ALUMINIUM-frame-gets-paint-chips-or-scratches..............
..........just-saying:behindsofa:

Last edited:
Autobarn sell 2pak clear in a can you can respray an area or spray into lid and brush touch ,with enough prep it can look factory !!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Nail polish is mostly, if not all acetone, Id probably try something a little less aggressive like methanol first.
Acetone is rally only a problem for composites during the curing phase; once cured it's pretty resilient. Nail polish has been a widely accepted & perfectly good touch up for years, but any kind of paint/resin/stuff is fine. The two things you need to protect from are UV & moisture; UV degrades the uncovered epoxy resin, which then makes the laminate porous & susceptible to moisture absorption.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Don't-care-if-my-ALUMINIUM-frame-gets-paint-chips-or-scratches..............
..........just-saying:behindsofa:
good thing this thread isn't about your aluminium frame then, eh? :yawn:

nail polish will be fine. i assume your frame is a gloss finish?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
My carbon frame has a few paint chips on it, but luckily, none have gone through and damaged the carbon, only the paint. I'm wondering if I'd be able to use nail polish to seal up the chips. I'm not sure if the chemicals would damage and ruin the carbon, anybody have some experience with doing this or possible alternatives? Cheers
Yep, go your hardest . Matching the colour can be difficult, as are the David Jones ladies when you wheel your bike into the beauty section