Narbethong DH Tracks

richiev

Likes Bikes
Can anyone tell me anything about the Narbethong DH Tracks? I was going through the VicTrails site and came across them and they sound good, but I'm not sure how current the information on that site is. For reference, the two tracks I'm talking about are http://www.victrails.netfirms.com/mtbtrails/narbens.htm and http://www.victrails.netfirms.com/mtbtrails/narbethong.htm
Do these two tracks still exist? Are they worth driving out to and checking out? Will I need a person to shuttle back to the top or is it a walkable distance back to the top?
Any info will be appreciated.

Cheers! :)

S.

ex offender
Yep, they still exist, and you'd definitely want a shuttle (unless ~3 hour hikes are your thing). The DH track is 3.5km long and bores pretty much straight down the hill. Both the NS and the DH track are great fun to ride and definitely worth having a look at.

S.

ex offender
As far as I know, the NS is all still rideable. Make sure to check out each and every stunt before you ride it though, because it's likely that some of them are still under construction (and some of them have blind drops/rollers and stuff).

Den-Den

Likes Bikes
I'll second S. on that one too. Definately need shuttles for both of the tracks. Narby is best done with a good size crew of you. The DH track is a fun wide open trail with some super fast and hell fun sections- particulary when your blitzing through the waterbars mid way down the track! There hasn't been work on the DH track in a long long time so just watch out for the axle deep water ruts and the monster tree that has fallen across the fire road at the bottom of the water bars. You get so much speed up through the section that pulling up for it can get a little interesting (particularly in the wet)so keep your eyes wide open and way ahead of you! Oh, and when you get down the bottom of the course and go through a head high cutting through a clay mound, start thinking about getting on the brakes cos you don't want to fly out onto the road and get cleaned up by a logging truck!
Take your time on the NS and you'll have a blast. You can easily spend 40min on a single run just sessioning sections! Walk all of the built up stuff first if you're unsure and certainly don't ride onto the higher stuff blindly because once you're up there you're committed and there will be one of two outcomes- you'll either be stoked off your chops because you made it or you'll be dragging yourself out of there in a bad state.
Practice some common sense and you'll have an awesome time!

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dude, If you need crew, I've been busting to head up to Narbie for a run so feel free to PM me.

StormFire

Likes Dirt
the track at granton is just around the corner from narby aswell, perhaps only 10 minutes drive or something, and that's well worth a visit. I was up there last week and even though it seemed like it hadn't been ridden for a while it was still in great nic. I've never been to the narby tracks, so i'm not sure how they compare, but i can say that granton is well worth the trip all on it's own.

So if your up to it an awsome days riding can be had up there due to the choice of a few tracks !