Narbethong Freeride track true or false

kofler

Likes Bikes
i have hear a bit about the narbethong freeride track but i can not seem to find a single clip of photo of it. So i was just wondering if anyone has been there or heard of it. Is it real or not. Keeping in mind i am not talking about the narbethong downhill track.

Cheers michael

omac

Likes Dirt
I was part of the crew who built it but it was closed & destroyed by the relevant authority's in 2004- 05ish. I only have footage of myself on the track but here's a pic of one of my mates

narbi_14.jpg
narbi_9.jpg

I do have clearer pics but it clearly shows the riders face & I know he wouldn't like that

Last edited:

kofler

Likes Bikes
so there is nothing left of the track. would you be able to send the clip just so i would be able to see what the track was like

many thanks michael

I was part of the crew who built it but it was closed & destroyed by the relevant authority's in 2004- 05ish. I only have footage of myself on the track but here's a pic of one of my mates

View attachment 306896
View attachment 306897

I do have clearer pics but it clearly shows the riders face & I know he wouldn't like that
Bwahaha. Good to see these old pics of the angry smurf!

I too can confirm the trail has long been unceremoniously laid to rest. It was like the best & worst girlfriend you ever had- amid the good times were some epicly sketchy & downright horrible times. One minute head in the trees, the next minute she'd brought you to your knees & left you crawling through the mud. That trail toasted a couple of my derailleurs & brake levers back in the day... didn't even by me dinner before hand.

OT

Likes Dirt
The weight of those Banshee bikes would have brought it all down sooner or later anyway!

OT

Likes Dirt
Northshore style tracks like the one that was at Narby aren't really that popular anymore. Any of the old ones would have fallen down by now without any regular maintenance.

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
Oh those were the days. These picks were taken early on in that trails inception. We learned a lot and it was probably for the best that it was torn down. By the end I think a few folk added their bits to it and it was pretty hard to ride clean. I broke a bike on that rock drop , almost broke my neck and never returned.
Most of you will know who that guy in the orange jacket is. He's an evil mastermind of MTB eventing, and trails that hurt me a lot :)

Attachments

Last edited:

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
It had a short tranny and a hard left shortly after it. I rode off it too slow one day and my front wheel landed behind a rock, Frame folded and the back tire smacked me in the face. Not the place for an xc single speed. Like I said. I learned a lot.

Attachments

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
The rock drop looks like the track ended immediately after the rock. Glad you made it.
Looking at that Pick again I think it was taken before the exit trail was cut. I was taking photos with a shitty 1.2 MP camera as the planks were being nailed.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Speaking of crazy old freeride stuff, do any of you guys have any pics of the old Carcass Drop near Geelong? I just remember around the same time thinking this was the most nuts stuff I had ever seen.

omac

Likes Dirt
This is the same unnamed rider from my previous pics
gapBW_6.jpg

One of my biggest regrets is not doing this drop, I spent to long looking at it & psyched myself out, about 2 weeks later I hit the biggest kicker Iv ever done & on that day I knew I was ready for carcass but I never went back...:pout:

Last edited:

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
This is the same unnamed rider from my previous pics
View attachment 307078

One of my biggest regrets is not doing this drop, I spent to long looking at it & psyched myself out, about 2 weeks later I hit the biggest kicker Iv ever done & on that day I knew I was ready for carcass but I never went back...:pout:
Yep he's a crazee mo fo.