Nation of the Rising Sun

S.

ex offender
wtr said:
Umm..you would know the answer if you follow the christian faith...:rolleyes:
I thought not inheriting sins/burdens WAS part of the christian belief?

wtr

Likes Dirt
S. said:
I thought not inheriting sins/burdens WAS part of the christian belief?
BUT, I recall reading the Good Book once upon a time, and came across somewhere in the garden of Eden, where God said to Adam and Eve:"..your offsprings will be born with the sin you now carry....because you tasted the forbidden fruit that I have warn you about..."

Irrelevant to the topic, but hope that explains why I think like that.:rolleyes:

And what's happening to the UN security council seat Japan's after? I have been out of touch with the TV lately.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
wtr said:
And what's happening to the UN security council seat Japan's after? I have been out of touch with the TV lately.
I'm not sure myself, everything has been uni and bikes for me the last couple of weeks.

wtr

Likes Dirt
johnny said:
I'm not sure myself, everything has been uni and bikes for me the last couple of weeks.
Original
China supports Japan's application for a U.N. Security Council seat?

Well I would certainly love to see such a situation. It would show a strong friendship between the two countries. However I am not so sure that this will happen.

Quite apart from feelings over WWII, I think Beijing will be more pragmatic. In the future, China may well clash with Japan over natural resources. The last thing the Chinese government would want is for Japan to have the confidence to defend her resources. Supporting an application for a permament seat on the Security Council would certainly do this. It would also encourage Japan to develop more of an offensive military capability.

Equally the simple fact that China is the only Asian power on the Security Council (I don't include Russia), puts it in a prominent position. It may wish to keep things that way. Indeed there is an argument that Russia and China may oppose any new permament members of the Security Council, as it would dilute their power.

However there is some hope. I think China could benefit a lot from supporting a Japanese application to the Security Council. Firstly, the Russians may oppose it anyway - the Chinese are then blameless. China could use it as a springboard to improve Sino-Japanese relations. The best way to obtain a "formal" apology over WWII would be to give Japan a tempting reward.

Also there is the future to think about. Japan's close ties to the US are partly because of the historic Communist hostility on the mainland and her own military insecurity. If Japan became a more self-assured and confident nation and if China could show Japan that it really wanted to be friends, far from being a "U.S. puppet", I think Japan would be an excellent partner for China in the future. A Sino-Japanese alliance would severly marginalise American power in the Pacific and make it easier to China to operate in the region. If China doesn't make such a gesture, Japan will continue to look to the U.S. for support.

As to whether I think Japan should become a permament member? Well yes, I can't see anything wrong with it. Japan has always been the U.N.'s largest financial contributor, so I think it's fair that she have greater influence in it. Koizumi's reforms have made it possible for the JSDF to deploy as a peacekeeping force, so Japan could also help out in future U.N. missions.

Political disputes shouldn't get in the way of reforming such an important international organisation. The objections of some of the forums members are childish.

2005-01-03 01:34
I might have to disagree with the author on Japan being a "U.S. puppet". I mean, wasn't America the one who's really behind the push for the seat? But everything else seems logical, but sounds intangible.

Original
Seoul seeks to thwart Japan's bid for UN Security Council seat
By Anna Fifield in Seoul and David Pilling in Japan
Published: April 2 2005 03:00 | Last updated: April 2 2005 03:00

South Korea yesterday signalled it would seek to block Japan's attempt to win a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council - a move likely to trigger bitter resentment in Tokyo which has put enormous store on gaining more international influence.

Amid increasing tension over islands disputed by the two countries, Seoul strongly opposed Japan's application, which is also being vociferously challenged by China and North Korea.
And a different voice on the issue.

S.

ex offender
wtr said:
BUT, I recall reading the Good Book once upon a time, and came across somewhere in the garden of Eden, where God said to Adam and Eve:"..your offsprings will be born with the sin you now carry....because you tasted the forbidden fruit that I have warn you about..."

Irrelevant to the topic, but hope that explains why I think like that.:rolleyes:

Ahh yeah. I was pretty sure it said somewhere else that you can't be held responsible for what your parents etc have done. Hmm, a (possible) contradiction in the bible, who'd have thunk it.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
wtr said:
[I might have to disagree with the author on Japan being a "U.S. puppet". I mean, wasn't America the one who's really behind the push for the seat? But everything else seems logical, but sounds intangible.
Well if Japan is heavily influenced by the US then think of how much power the US would have if it effectively controled two UNSC seats.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
S. said:
Ahh yeah. I was pretty sure it said somewhere else that you can't be held responsible for what your parents etc have done. Hmm, a (possible) contradiction in the bible, who'd have thunk it.
Nice claim (well not really with the get out of gaol card that your tactical little (possible) represents, but still an inflection towards the claims ultimate veracity with a nice little tabloid-esque "Who'd have thunk it") but wherest thine evidence?

S.

ex offender
johnny said:
Nice claim (well not really with the get out of gaol card that your tactical little (possible) represents, but still an inflection towards the claims ultimate veracity with a nice little tabloid-esque "Who'd have thunk it") but wherest thine evidence?
Don't have any, I just thought it was something I'd read or been told at some stage. I may be wrong.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I might be wrong, but i think WTR's quote is a little skew. I think what it actually says that your children will be born INTO sin, not WITH. There is a difference.
Eitherway the point of what its saying is that if adam and eve hadn't stuffed up, there would be no need for all this "religion crap" and we could just waltz on through the pearly gates when we wanted. Instead, its not a right we're born with, its somehting we have to earn through life. Apparantly.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
S. said:
Don't have any, I just thought it was something I'd read or been told at some stage. I may be wrong.
You could work for Murdoch with credentials like that :p

wtr

Likes Dirt
Yeah, look, that quote I made about the bible was just off the top of my head, will dig into the Good Book if your really after a word for word quote.:eek:

Sin, I don't really follow the idea of being born guilty. But I agree that I've sinned myself a handful of times throughout the course of my life. Who, other than Lord Jesus Christ himself and absolutely devoted priests, aren't affected by lust?!
I dare you to lie, unless you male hormone insufficiency..;)

Well if Japan is heavily influenced by the US then think of how much power the US would have if it effectively controled two UNSC seats.
It does sound a bit concerning. I wouldn't doubt that they will exploit that advantage to stir up more shit in the Arabic region.
But even if Japan did acquire its permanent member status, with a 4-2 ratio, aren't they likely to be out numbered still? But taking into account the relationship between the brits and US, things are looking gloomy...

Come to think about it..didn't the US 'started' UN in the first place, almost 60 years ago?

What if we become their third UN puppet?

Well guys I reckon getting the Japanese onto the SC would be a good idea. Over here in Iraq I would prefer to be at the Japanese base rather than this British base they are so much more approachable and are always up for a good laugh. There work with the local community has gone along way as well even for there colour, darker skinned people are looked down upon but not like a racism thing just a structure thing. As far as Japan being a puppet, some of you spindoctors could say the same thing for Australia. The thing is, spend a little time OS and you'll realize that both countries have a very seperate Identity and well particularly in Australia's case most of the locals have a ball with us as we are more approachable, accepting and easy going than most other countries that are here including the brits. We will wave and cary on, stop and meat the locals we are even trying to start getting some football games going between us and the locals.

wtr

Likes Dirt
Man, best of luck goes to you in Iraq with your duties.:)

How long do you guys have to serve there for?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
goosehead said:
As far as Japan being a puppet, some of you spindoctors could say the same thing for Australia. The thing is, spend a little time OS and you'll realize.......
Oh, you're the only person that's been passed Australian shores?

As for differing identities, that's got nothing to do with what we are talking about mate. You're talking cultural while we're talking political. Two completely different things mate.

You are quite a distance off the mark here I think. How soldiers and people act in country is not a very substantial matter in geopolitics.

PS, Australia wasn't nuked by the US, had a peace treaty dictated by the US and doesn't have a base with 30 000 US soldiers on it either ;)

Where over here for six mths and its a blast. The locals are pretty cool sneaking shit into base and that, ie star wars 3, fridges, T.V's all kinds of stuff.

As for being OS I'm sure most of you have been OS and if not are working to get there. Its always a good thing meet new people and ideas and so much fun last time I was OS I went to Canada snowboarding. Its a bit different though when serving proffsionally. Here where representing his policies straight up so pretty much what he says on a political level goes here. We have been told to work with the local community which is what where doing. More than the Americans that think they are the community.

And the Japanese well there doing awesome work helping to rebuild the local infrastructure here getting power, water and sewerage back to the people. I figure if they what to make more of an effort working for the UN to get things done goo luck to them maybe they can help repay for damage done during the war. Remember they where our allies, they took the ANZACS to Turkey in WW1.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm sorry mate, but that post is really hard to understand. Also, I'm pretty sure that there are a few serving and ex-members on this site, so don't go assuming too much ;)