National fuel strike

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
There is a National fuel strike happening on October 26th.
People will boycott buying fuel on this day, to send a message. They hope to at least get the government to remove the gst on fuel.

Will you be taking part?
Do you think this will have an effect on things ?

I don’t think it will have an effect on their bottom line, but think it will show people are pissed at high fuel prices and send a message. I’m going to take part, it can’t hurt, and could maybe bring about change.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
All depends on if my work ute needs filling up or not. “Sorry boss, cancel all my jobs I got no fuel” will not go down too well!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
It's a protest that will exclusively inconvenience those protesting.

No company or government will notice that anything is going on.

And if you don't need to fill up, you can't protest, so nobody will notice that either.

Makes no sense to me. Maybe if people protesting blocked petrol station forecourts to stop people filling up, but doesn't sound like my idea of an enjoyable way of getting beaten up.

If you want a protest, do it like the French do:

9360899w-french-protest1.jpg

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I remember seeing this sort of recommendation in the UK around 2000 / 2001 when prices for fuel went past £1.00 per litre. It's now about £1.40 or so if not more.

Noone in a position to do anything ever cares.
Folks need to go to work / study whatever and nothing seems to change.

I've heard of people selecting not to shop at a specific brand servo but I can't see that helping as the masses lack co-ordination and sustained conviction.

The fact is we're all over a barrel and precious little will change.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
yeah nah one day won't do shit. A whole week, on the other hand, might, but we all know people won't do that because it might actually effect them by losing their jobs or some shit.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I don't think the fuel companies two shits about some dumb Facebook event.
I remember helping my Mum fuel the Falcon up at a service station when I was less than ten so lets call it thirty years ago. The servo had an attendant that helped but he was busy so I chipped in. The XC Falcon had an 80 litre tank and we used to chuck $20 in at a time so this was about sixty cents a litre. Thats thirty years ago, nowadays its what? Say $1 a litre more? Thats an average of 3 cents a year its risen.
Whats my my point? I can guarantee that the price relative to everything else in your life compared to thirty years ago has risen a shit ton more than fuel has. These kinds of strikes organised and followed by the mindless twits on Facebook are a joke and will have absolutely fuck all effect on anything. There is an upside though, it means the service station and hopefully the roads will be empty because the halfwits who think this sort of irrelevant action is of any consequence will be stuck at home watching replays of some shitty football game.
Do something useful if you plan to take a stand and strike that day and spend some money planting a tree somewhere.

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
It has no affect on me not to purchase fuel on that day, from anywhere, so I won’t. I’ll fuel up the day before.
The point I think of the whole strike is not to hurt the bottom line of the fuel companies. This action will have no affect on them. However it is created to show, people give a shit, are sick of the prices ect. You will find reports in the media on the weather it’s business as usual on that day or something is happening differently on that day. If it is the later, then it shows people care, and they plan to use this as ammo to try and lobby and pressure the government to at least drop the GST component on fuel.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
However it is created to show, people give a shit, are sick of the prices ect. You will find reports in the media on the weather it’s business as usual on that day or something is happening differently on that day. .
It will not register with anyone in any way. It's a completely moronic idea.

To protest, you need to inconvenience the fuel companies or the government. Shame them with some facts. Sell your cars and start walking on the road. That's what a protest is.

This? You might as well hold your breath at home until someone comes.

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
It will not register with anyone in any way. It's a completely moronic idea.

To protest, you need to inconvenience the fuel companies or the government. Shame them with some facts. Sell your cars and start walking on the road. That's what a protest is.

This? You might as well hold your breath at home until someone comes.
Yeah maybe
But to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result would be silly. Or do nothing and expect things to change.
Do something different, the results may change.
It’s the only thing planned, and it does not hurt those who plan to take part.