National Park Usage Survey for Sydney Riders

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NPWS are running a survey on MTB usage in national parks (and giving away prizes). It includes a map of trails around Sydney (they seem to know a whole lot), and lets you place markers to comment on the trails. Kinda fancy.

I know a lot of you are going to be skeptical about this (especially since a lot of the trails they are talking about are, let's say, "unnoficial"). But you'll see from the maps that they already know where the vast majority of the trails are, so really all they'll be getting is an idea of the rider demand for those trails (which will hopefully go a long way in helping the push for those trails to be made official). Trail Care is working closely with NPWS on this, and my suggestion is to get on board and help out by participating with the survey.

The survey is accessible here, and I've attached the official release.

View attachment Have Your Say on mountain biking experiences.pdf

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow... I thought the sheer number of "unofficial" trails mapped and advertised by NPWS might have raised a few eyebrows...

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Wow... I thought the sheer number of "unofficial" trails mapped and advertised by NPWS might have raised a few eyebrows...
Sheesh...anybody would think that neither rangers nor field officers don't ride. Fuck me. They are as human as you. And not as half as thick as you might think.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sheesh...anybody would think that neither rangers nor field officers don't ride. Fuck me. They are as human as you. And not as half as thick as you might think.
Not the one's I've had the pleasure of meeting on the trails....

But yeah, agreed that there are some good eggs in the bunch.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
wow that took me a while to finish but i feel like i gave some very honest responses... not ticking extremely important the whole way through. Hope some good is achieved!
I DID mark my local unofficial trail... DID YOU?

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
Just filled this in, very fun survey and comprehensive! They really want to get this right! Looks like they are utilizing the information gained from the success of our interstate friends.
I Really went to town with the markers, i think i got close to 80 or so on the trails i love to ride.

This is not a quick survey, they really want the 1000's of riders that love riding on the northern beaches to go to town with this, its for people that ride here daily,people that ride here on holiday once a year, or people that want to ride here, please fill it in we need your support.DH/FR/AM/XC we need you to fill this in. This is the result of years of work by many people, please fill this in today!

Please note: Downhillers and All Mountain riders..if your favorite trail is not listed, place a marker where it is, trust me as a member of trailcare we know that National parks and other landowners know where they are, however some are not marked on thier survey, so if you want to make them official and not risk losing them one day, please place the markers where the trails start and let them know what the trails need if anything and especially why you like them and why you want them to stay eg Bahai, Bunnings,66, Mona, MD creekjump etc

Last edited:

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just filled this in, very fun survey and comprehensive! They really want to get this right! Looks like they are utilizing the information gained from the success of our interstate friends.
I Really went to town with the markers, i think i got close to 80 or so on the trails i love to ride.

This is not a quick survey, they really want the 1000's of riders that love riding on the northern beaches to go to town with this, its for people that ride here daily,people that ride here on holiday once a year, or people that want to ride here, please fill it in we need your support.DH/FR/AM/XC we need you to fill this in. This is the result of years of work by many people, please fill this in today!

Please note: Downhillers and All Mountain riders..if your favorite trail is not listed, place a marker where it is, trust me as a member of trailcare we know that National parks and other landowners know where they are, however some are not marked on thier survey, so if you want to make them official and not risk losing them one day, please place the markers where the trails start and let them know what the trails need if anything and especially why you like them and why you want them to stay eg Bahai, Bunnings,66, Mona, MD creekjump etc
And if you're planning on cutting in any new illegal trails in the next 6 months, maybe add those also.

Just joking ;-)

Maybe....

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
And if you're planning on cutting in any new illegal trails in the next 6 months, maybe add those also.

Just joking ;-)

Maybe....
Its interesting how most walking tracks started back in the day, walker wants to go from a to b, walker tramps a trail from a to b, each time the walker or a new walker takes the path they remove more and more vegetation etc, until eventually its a single trail.

Then one day national parks realizes people want to walk from a to b, they spend a few million dollars making it sustainable, but sometimes they loose the natural feel of the track that the walker wanted when going from a to b

Kinda funny until there is an official interdisciplinary network of mtb trails, how mountain bike trails are made official is very similar to how walking trails are made official only at this point in time they don't spend the same money on MTB trails

By the looks of this survey National Parks really want to make sure the MTB trails are exactly what the user group wants..Top Work National Parks!!

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
worth doing just to get the map

done.

I have a dream - 100km Sydney XCM, single track, point to point, public transport at both ends.

- carpetrunner

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
done.

I have a dream - 100km Sydney XCM, single track, point to point, public transport at both ends.

- carpetrunner
Mate that would be epic, I've often tried to link up as many trails as I can in a day without repeating &without doing any prior planning, but never made the magic 100k mark.

I've heard of others that have managed the feat though,

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nowhere near Sydney, but I noticed that UQ was a research partner.

Does anyone here have an idea on how one would go about joining that sort of stuff? I think I'm in an applicable field (Geology & Geography @ UQ).

Farken good on NPWS for doing this!

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
National Parks Survey Update IMPORTANT!

Hi Guys and Girls,

After some discussion with National Parks, they agreed to insert some of the most popular trails people ride that they already knew about, but for some reason didn't include them in the original survey

For example Blacktrack(bunnings),Yermom(66),duck holes extension to monavale road, bahai (they missed the extension at the top),bmx downhill and many others

If you have taken the survey already please go back and click on the above link again and enter your code and fill in the map to your hearts content which now has nearly every trail (I'm up around 100 markers last time i checked).Please note, just click done,go to survey at the end and your done, there is no need to redo your survey questions. If you have taken the survey and cant remember your code please email your name and details to Teresa Wohlfart Teresa.Wohlfart@environment.nsw.gov.au she will get it for you no worries

If you haven't taken the survey, please do so wherever you are in OZ, Especially if you live in NSW. If you live in Sydney, you have to do it. If you live in northern Sydney/beaches, there is no excuse...You want these trails to be official..now is your chance..this is once in a lifetime stuff people

Please take the survey today http://www.landscapemap2.org/nswmtnbike/