Nationals Controversy

Fkahb

Likes Dirt
Pro riders and teams have known about this issue for some time before the Nationals. If they did not - they damn well should have.

While I agree this rule seems to make no sense, the riders and sponsors who have an agreement would have done so knowing that winning a national championship would have reduced the exposure of their logo through branding of race jerseys.

However this could have been offset by a strategically planned campaign that refers to "Rider X, Australian DH Champion" in all their advertising. Sure, logo placement in general race photos and editorial contributes to brand awareness, but I have not seen any evidence to suggest that consumers seeing a logo on a rider jersey will convince them into becoming a consumer of that product.

Using Nathan Rennie as an example, I see more pics of him in his sponsors gear in various DVDs and magazines than in race pics. Look at the exposure Mad Catz and Iron Horse got in Earthed. This rule does not apply to the NORBA series, which gets as much if not more exposure than the WC events. And most race pics are from practice runs anyway - not the actual race run, nor the podiums.

If I was a sponsor, I'd be encouraging my rider to win a National Championship and then run a huge campaign promoting my product as the choice of Australia's top rider, and encourage the MTB consumer to think that if they also consume my product they will be able to look and ride like my sponsored rider - supported by a targetted media releases and staged photos wearing my gear with the National Trophy.

As I said, this rule appears to make no sense, but having my rider in National Championship colours for a season would differentiate my rider from all of the others in a sea of FOX or TLD jerseys. Perhaps this is a case of MTB sponsors not having a sophisticated view of marketing, nor knowing a great opportunity for leveraging from a clients successes, and still focussing on an outdated marketing paradigm that logo recognition alone sell products.

My glass is half full!

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Everything said and done, the situation sucks and needs to be fixed, but lets not take anything away from Mick Hannah for taking out the title. I watched every body in the race run, you couldn't put a hair between the ferocity of the runs. Mick is pure quality on any bike and I applaud his run, as I always do.
Sure, stampy pulled out a faster time in quals, and was definitely the fastest rider on the day...hell, on most days, on most tracks, anywhere in the world. I reckon any one of about 10 riders had the ability to take out the title.
What country could have such a strong starting list at a national event.
We are yet to produce masses of female Elite riders, but Tracy Hannah will very soon be flying the flag internationally, and is surely inspiring others already.
Thumbs up to all riders, from sport to elite. The reason 'we' dominate the world cup (in my humble opinion), is due to the fun aussies have riding, and the support we give each other, so let us never judge riders for their decisions in a situation like this.
Thanks to all riders at the Nats for showing me the way... I was going as fast as I could, so to have 40 secs + knocked off my time is a humbling event as always.

moorey

call me Mia
digger said:
i don't understand why they can't just have bands on the cuffs & collar of their jersey like the rainbow for a WC title. it would have been great to see rennie (or any other rider up to it on the day) smash the course and wait for the clock to tick over just before the finish line (ala ferrari in F1 a couple of years ago), just to stick it to the UCI, maybe they'd wake up to themselves then.
This seemed pretty much the case. I saw elite riders cooking through the tough bay 13 section at Eildon, then sitting up and coasting through some of the following single track (don't want to mention names).
Did anyone else catch that?

Ryan

Radministrator
That was an excellent answer Fkahb! Some good points there for sure.

Here's another question to add some fuel to the fire. What (other than their own regulations obviously) gives the UCI, who provide no financial support (eg: prize money) to downhill racers and treat our sport like some mentally retarded half brother they'd prefer to keep locked under the stairs, the right to fine downhill riders who choose to wear the jerseys of people who DO pay them money and who DO support our sport?

Moorey: As harsh as it sounds, I do think this sort of thing takes *something* away from Mick. I can't come up with a word to describe it properly, but it can't feel as personally satisfying to stand on top of the podium knowing that other guys didn't throw down their best run. *edit* Not that I'll ever be National Champion to find out of course, it may well be just as satisfying ;)

Colonel

Likes Bikes
Now I'm prepared to be proven wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure ubber road guy Mario Chippolini (sorry for the spelling mate) and Specialized often are in the same boat. Because of UCI legislation I've heard that Mario had to adhere to similar rules in relation to what he wore when racing. Specialized weren't happy at all so they instructed him to wear what ever he wanted and they'd pay any fine the UCI handed down. The roadie lads that were telling me this said he got more exposure wearing all kinds of outlandish shit and the controversy surrounding it than he got from his results.

Are there any roadies lurking here that can come correct with the real deal?

If this is the case what's stopping Sam and Nathan from giving the UCI the saturday night salute and wearing what ever the fuck they want? I'm sure it'd get a huge cheer from the people that are involved in this sport that think the national champ jersey is a shithouse idea. What could the UCI realistically do, fines maybe?

I reckon the idea should be scrapped, how gutted would you be to be Mick Hannah and co after pinning your run, having people thinking in the back of their mind that he might not be the fastest rider in Oz. That would piss me off no end, the guy has won he's a national champ...That should be it.

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers

Ryan

Radministrator
I'm just working from memory here Colonel...but when the issue first raised it's head last season the UCI were threatening riders with some outlandish fines, hence my last post.

I *think* the figure being tossed around was $US2000 for failing to wear your national champs jersey...that's no spit in the ocean for your average *pro* downhiller.

Colonel

Likes Bikes
That's what sparked my hazy memory about the Specialize/ Roadie thing. I'm not too sure there'd be many MTB teams/ sponsors that would shrug off a cool $US2K either. I'm sure for the roadie teams $US2K would be bugger all, there'd probably be a line up of sponsors wanting to pay the fine just to get their name in bandied around in the controversy.

It's not the best way to get a win with the UCI, but if teams have exhausted all available means, what else could you do?
As I said all it does is take the shine off being national champ, which is a crap state of affairs when the rider that won busted their arse to get a win. Here's hoping the snapper heads at the UCI wake up to themselves, but I won't hold my breath.

Cheers

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
To give them their due, MTBA have tried to get a National Jersey that leaves plenty of space for the riders sponsor to put their logos on.

From what I've heard Hannah was cranking the whole way, Who's to say if the othet riders romoured to have pulled up could have beat him in their race run anyway?

At the end of the day Mick Hannah will be seen as the 2005 National champion and every one else is just a coulda-shoulda-woulda.

moorey

call me Mia
thecat said:
To give them their due, MTBA have tried to get a National Jersey that leaves plenty of space for the riders sponsor to put their logos on.

From what I've heard Hannah was cranking the whole way, Who's to say if the othet riders romoured to have pulled up could have beat him in their race run anyway?

At the end of the day Mick Hannah will be seen as the 2005 National champion and every one else is just a coulda-shoulda-woulda.
I only partly agree, other riders made a choice (or had it made for them by sponsors)..were you there to see world class riders coasting sections that should have been pedalled?
Mick is a deserving winner, he copped (and is still copping) flack from other riders, wanna be's, spectators, 'experts' and F$#Kwits. Not only is he demonstrated that he is one of the most gifted people ever to ride a bike, but he is also one of the most genuine, down to earth, honest and has the most integrity.
An email went out to club presidents and 'important people' from the highest eschelons of or sporting body saying that no one backed off, the jersey issue didn't change how riders raced blah blah.
Anyone there knows this to be bullshit...REGARDLESS, Mick's time was the second fastest for the event, with daylight between the next couple of best qualifying or race times.
Well done Mick. Lets hope that the shit gets sorted out soon so that this cloud over the sport is lifted.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
were you there to see world class riders coasting sections that should have been pedalled?[/quote]

No but I was at other rounds where world class riders seemed to be coasting when they should of been cranking, no controversy there.

moorey said:
Lets hope that the shit gets sorted out soon so that this cloud over the sport is lifted.
Here, here!

Fkahb

Likes Dirt
If the UCI rules remains, the obvious solution is to have CA develop a National Champion jersey that can incorporate the winners sponsors logo as well as the dicky little green and gold strips.

projectsplat

The film guy
thecat said:
I was at the finish line when stampy came through.... He came flying through the last couple of jumps down towards the finish line, and after the last jump, he jumped on the brakes, pulled the front wheel up and manualled his way down onto the road and across the finish line.

Now after having seen that, how many seconds slower was he than Hannah??

wasp

Likes Bikes
yeah i wacthed the eildon nats on tv and i was way stupid!!! but when you think about it (like it has been sadi already) the sponsers pay for you so you have to support them or else your broke.why do htey need a whole top thoguh. why can it just be a different couler, like still look different but keep the sponsors logos??? then people would still no the person was the champ, but the sponsers would be kept happy as they would still get to advertise.

just my thoguhts on it. theres probably compications that i dont know but that seems reasonable to me...

MadMatt

The MiniMan
it`s crap really,,,the UCI have no right to enforce this silly rule,,,

when i race my mini in International rallys like the Targa Tasmania rally,,,the organisers/promoters make you stick an Australian flag next to your name on the rear side window of the car, that`s it!!!...& if you`re the fastest in the country then you get the Number "1" plate,,,that`s it,,,your whole car is plastered in your sponsors stickers & the event sponsors stickers, you don`t have to paint the car green & gold at all.

i know a DH Mtbike doesn`t have that sort of room, but maybe just an Aussie front Number plate & just an Aussie flag on the jersey is quite good enough & would stand out really well ,yet keep the riders sponsors area clear for them...sensible hey?

besides , that Aust jersey looks dicky i reckon, just my opinion tho, i`m all for showing the world where our hot riders are from, for sure!!!!!!!, but not to that degree & at the same time, a possability of loosing the funds that got that rider there in the first place???,,,stupid!!!,,,something really has to be done, just look at Eildon,,,what a joke,,,who wants to watch the best riders in the world wandering gently down the hill all casual & not "BLASTING DOWN" like we wanna see em????????????? their job is to go "FLAT OUT", Their Passion is to go FLAT OUT!!!

it`s crap!!!

UCI,,,wake up to yourselves & fix the dam problem before you loose all your cred!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!