Navigation events for MTBers?

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Just curious, is there any navigation events for mountain bikers?

In the offroad (4wd / MX) scene, we run events where you are given a set of co-ordinates and you need to make your way across a location (e.g. national park etc.) finding the points. You can either use maps to plot the locations, or GPS units. Its more or less a race with an added edge - similar to geocaching.

Is there anything like this for mountain bikers? Would there be any interest in such events?

Cheers - Evan

MurrayW

Likes Bikes
MTB orienteering

It may not help you but there is a MTB orienteering club in WA. I have entered a couple of events and it was good fun. Some people took it pretty serious and others just did it for fun. They provided excellent maps of the area that the course was in so that was a bonus.

Cheers

Murray

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah MTBO is awesome fun - you don't usually follow the wheels of others like in a normal XC race as there's a 1min gap between individual starts.

There's a good little series in SEQLD run by a few clubs.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the replies guys.

I was thinking of starting up a little one every few months at local parks in Victoria, but if it is already being done, no point doubling up.

Cheers - Evan

moorey

call me Mia
Hey, big fella. Ballarat has had a few in the last few years, so I'm guessing they are pretty common if you are in the loop. If I hear of one coming up, I'll let you know, to give you an excuse to come say gday (not that I'd plan to compete)

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Hey, big fella. Ballarat has had a few in the last few years, so I'm guessing they are pretty common if you are in the loop. If I hear of one coming up, I'll let you know, to give you an excuse to come say gday (not that I'd plan to compete)
Thanks Moorey.

By the way, I definitely will be heading your way soon - just need to shed 10 kilos first because based on what you told me about the trails, I wouldn't last longer than 5 minutes.

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks Moorey.

By the way, I definitely will be heading your way soon - just need to shed 10 kilos first because based on what you told me about the trails, I wouldn't last longer than 5 minutes.
Sunday morning is a pretty casual ride. Any time you feel ready mate.