Neck brace

driftking

Wheel size expert
I have a friend that uses his Leatt with a 661 evolution carbon and it sits fine for him, he hasn't had a problem.
it is not a issue of sitting it is a issue of compression in a crash, all the helmets will sit fine on the brace but the issue comes in a crash when you experience a compressive force, this is where this critical measurement comes into play and matters.
In my opinion (dont own a neckbrace) they are as much a fashion statement as they are protective gear. Sure get them if you want to be safe but i dont believe they are essential. Lots of the top guys dont ride with one, i know more are turning to them now but still they didn't ride with them for ages. If i am correct Aaron Gwin didn't ride with one and won the overall. Correct me if i am wrong.
fashion statement I don't know, there is some element of fashion statement but no one will spend that much money on a fashion statement at least no one with common sense, i would assume 99% of people buy one for the protection it offers, not so they look good. All protective gear is a choice and not essential, of course clothes aren't essential if you want to ride naked but whether something is necessary or worth it is two very different things.
Also whether or not someone wins with one or not is irrelevant, a neck brace has no effect on performance at all so you cant say it affects the times of a rider, ok it is a little bit more weight but unless the rider won the race by .1 or .2 its not going to matte.

I am not opposed to the idea of a neckbrace but you have to weigh up the pro's and con's, sure it is more protection but it is also alot of money. I think i will be getting one in the future but not because it is needed but because i would imagine it would give you that extra confidence.
What are the cons of a neck brace? price, if you put price into perspective its very small if it protects you from a serious injury,A serious injury in the long run is a lot more money and mentally and physically debilitating, so if a brace saves you from a injury it not only will potentially save you a lot less money, physical and mental trauma but it may mean you walk away without any serious or long term injuries.In terms of a brace if you're buying for confidence that isn't really a proper reason or going to solve the main issue, however I suggest you still do buy one no matter what your reason. Confidence comes from a mind set not your gear. A neck brace gives you more security and protection which in turns gives you piece of mind so you can ride more confidently, but your mind is where the confidence comes from, it is same as placebo affect of newer stuff, it feels better because you believe it is better.. Confidence is just a extra benefit not the primary reason to buy a brace but if confidence is the reason behind a brace get one, the protection will still be there and worth it, also as mentioned you need a compatible helmet.That said I highly push and encourage you to still buy a brace even if you are buying for confidence if you get a correctly set up brace you will be safer in a crash and I would recommend anyone with the money to buy a brace.
Get one if you can afford it, is what i am trying to say. If you are going to get one make sure your helmet fits, go into your local moto shop with your helmet and get one set up for you.most proper leatt distributors will be able to do the fitment, moto shops are probably much more experience so this is a good suggestion but LBS should be able to do a fitment, I would suggest never to buy online it needs to be fitted.

Hope this helps, coming from someone without one
M2c
Even though your reason to buy a brace is maybe not for protection I wont ever tell someone not to get a brace what ever reason, confidence, protection or fashion, at the end of the day if it is set up properly you will get that protection benefit so no matter what the reasoning buy a brace. :)

Last edited:

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
Leatt GPX adventure 2 arrived in the mail today, so a quick setup and figured I go so how it feels riding soft so I can tweak it accordingly. My advice to anybody thinking of buying one, is to absolutely try one on first, with your helmet, and shake yourself around and dance or something to try and get a feel for what it would be like to ride with one. I tried every setting, and have found the one that suits, I think.... I will persevere with it, but it absolutely effects my riding style at this stage. A large portion of this is the TL D2 i'm currently running, I will be switching (a timely upgrade/replacement anyway) to a D3, which with a higher back should solve the knocking problem I had today.

rustysteel

Likes Bikes
has any1 got a 661 helmet with a leatt neck brace ? thoughts? :)
Got one on ebay now (661 comp II), after getting my brace this week and being able to move my head around in nearly every direction as if I wasn't wearing one! It's been nearly 3 weeks since I stacked in a 'puddle' (i prefer to call it a mudpit that took my front wheel haha!) and after going to the hospital, the Dr's and still being too sore to ride after merely getting whiplash, I think the compatibility of the helmet and brace is real important. Just ordered a 2011 D3 off ebay ($299), think I can justify the cost if it'll keep me riding each week!!

driftking

Wheel size expert
Leatt GPX adventure 2 arrived in the mail today, so a quick setup and figured I go so how it feels riding soft so I can tweak it accordingly. My advice to anybody thinking of buying one, is to absolutely try one on first, with your helmet, and shake yourself around and dance or something to try and get a feel for what it would be like to ride with one. I tried every setting, and have found the one that suits, I think.... I will persevere with it, but it absolutely effects my riding style at this stage. A large portion of this is the TL D2 i'm currently running, I will be switching (a timely upgrade/replacement anyway) to a D3, which with a higher back should solve the knocking problem I had today.
I am using a DBX comp the only difference according to leat between the DBX and GPX is padding. I also use a D2 and have no issues with it at all. I would suggest get it fitted by someone who knows whats going on, also on the D2/D3 the D3 works better with a neckbrace because it has less clearance.
If you read through the thread you will get some more information regarding this. But basically a D2 has to much clearance which means that your neck is allowed to compress more before the brace comes into stop it to help prevent a serious injury, The D3 is designed in a way that works in that it sits lower to the brace so that in a compressive crash the neck can be prevent from compressing too much, ie it helps prevent an injury to the neck.
I am unsure how the D3 sits at the back but when someone says compatible helmet they are not referring to it having plenty of movement, they are referring to its ability to allow less movement under compressive forces.

Running the same set up I find it unusually that you are having problems riding with it, you might need to get the set up checked out.

Wynner

Likes Bikes
Saved by the brace??

I am sure there are plenty of stories like this.

My young bloke had an off the other weekend and thank goodness he was wearing a neck brack.
Went off a drop and landed head first. Riding with clips didn't make it any better. Straight off to hospital.
Spent the week in a neck brace (Hospital one. Not as cool as his leatt) but after scans thankfully nothing broken just a wiplash injury.
Broken arms and legs are inconvenient, broken necks are life changing.
This is one of many times they have helped.

Thankfully the young guys still think they are cool so they will wear them. Unlike the hundreds of dollars of other protective gear they won't.
Maybe it is time to make them compulsary????

My youngest starts racing as well this year and I have just bought him one last week.

I treat neck braces like helmets "No brace no ride".

Torpedo 7 has or had some good deals on the leatts.

Last edited:

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Been riding with mine more than a year...don't ever notice it EXCEPT when stopping and waiting for mates and trying to look over my shoulder! Its now like riding with helmet or gloves...if I don't have it on DH-ing, I feel somethings missing. As a side had an off, caught by some vines on the XC bike a week ago and my whole neck is still sore - time to give away XC maybe :cool:

Raymo621

Likes Bikes
A good friend back in March had a major crash in bmx in Canberra landing on the back of his head/ shoulders. He was luckily wearing his Leatt, which the doctors told him if he wasn't he would now be a paraplegic instead of the 6 broken vertabrae and 2 smashed with now 4 fused that he has......If i put my full face on the brace goes on too!

rustysteel

Likes Bikes
Helmet/Brace Combo Update: TLD D3 and Leatt fit together better than your beans and frank! Just got the basic Adventure II and a 2011 D3 and after the first run or so, the only effect I noticed from wearing the brace was an increase in riding confidence, which resulted in a big stiff one in my shorts..........if you've got erection problems and/or want the perfect helmet/brace combo, the D3/Leatt is for you!

t_byrnz

Likes Dirt
Helmet/Brace Combo Update: TLD D3 and Leatt fit together better than your beans and frank! Just got the basic Adventure II and a 2011 D3 and after the first run or so, the only effect I noticed from wearing the brace was an increase in riding confidence, which resulted in a big stiff one in my shorts..........if you've got erection problems and/or want the perfect helmet/brace combo, the D3/Leatt is for you!
haha nice one

driftking

Wheel size expert
Probably best to contact leatt and POC in regards to that, that stuff needs to be tested so they would be the best place to go.