Need a new crankset to suit a 7spd rear cassette

hulsty

Likes Bikes
G'day all,

Recently started riding my bike again and have found the cranks creak on the BB (always did and needed constant checking), BB bearings are gone and need new pedals. Current cranks are Alivio on a square taper BB to a 7spd rear cassette.

I've been out of cycling for a while and am a bit of a noob to whats about now days, checking the shimano site all the sets are to suit mainly 9spd rear cassettes.

What is out there that I can use with my 7spd rear cassette ? I was hoping to pick up a used set of deore ish 2 pce cranks and a external BB from ebay to use as previous cranksets on square tapers didnt last that long anyways with me being 115kg.

Here is what I currently have.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Any 7, 8, 9 or 10spd crankset will work. 9 or 10spd rings may be narrower, but your wider 7 spd (or 8 spd) chain will still work.

Deore's are $80 from CRC. Make sure you get them extra cheap if you're buying second hand.

MountGower

Likes Dirt
Your first link is the current 10 speed version and has 24, 32, 42 chain rings. The second is the 9 speed version and has 22, 32, 44 chainrings.

The 9 speed version will give wider range of gears, that is, an easier easiest gear and a harder hardest gear, but will have the same coverage.

I would take the 9 speed version because of the wider range of gears. The 10 speed version will be harder to ride up steep climbs and have less top end speed. I do not know why Shimano did this, but I'd like them to rectify it ASAP.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Shimano's reasoning with the 3x10 chainring combination, as explained to me when it was launched, is that most riders would spend most of the time in the 32T middle ring, and that most would also have the 11-36 cassette, so there's a wider range available on the middle ring. 24/36 gives virtually the same gear ratio as 22/34, so the only time you lose out at the bottom is if you're using a tighter cassette (which the OP's 7-speed will be). It also has less effect on rear suspension systems, as there's less vertical variation in chainline. Especially with virtual/floating pivot systems, the closer the chainline stays to the pivot point, the less the suspension will be affected by chain tension.