Need advice building jumps...

Commecnalrider

Likes Dirt
I live on this hill but cant really build jumps on my own... me mates have jumps and they ride them all the time.

I want to build big drop offs on a constant gradient hill; one that isn't vertical and is really smooth but is also wide open. im also thinking about tabletops and doing spines... that would include nosediving, or the equivalent of it...

thanks,
from the rider who actually wants to progress.

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i know this wont sound very helpful, but just build the jumps to the size and shape you feel comfortable with...

that way when you progress like you say you want to, you can change them in the way you think will help your riding:D

jackthewolverine

Likes Dirt
Yeh what Barspin says,Just build some jumps that match your ability then build new ones/build on your own ones when they feel too easy for you

if you want help digging just ask we can make them to your height and distance you know you just have to ask all you need is a good spot
OK
the yummyest desert at KFC

Murph12

Likes Dirt
barspin is always full of good ideas :p
but yeah everybody starts at different highs is comfortable with different things so yeah

Commecnalrider

Likes Dirt
GOOD and OPEN AREAS MAKE ME ANGRY

i think the open wide area on the mountain, towards the primary school would be too open.. u think fried chicken sundae???

tommy-d

Likes Dirt
i love the typo in your name.. :D
Its always hard to find a good spot for jumps.. well from what ive found.. hazards like council, little kids finding them, ground too hard, to much sun therefore drying the dirt too much.. but everything already said has been pretty spot on in my opinion.. cant go wrong with a 3m-4m gap. :p

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
Its almost an essay but it's worth the read.

This ain't all my work you should just do a google search dude there is so much info out on the interwebs. You'll save yourself a lot of time that way.

Ok first of all,

Dirt Jumping Trails Building Supplies
Bare minimum: The least amount of supplies you will need is...

1. You, some time, and hard work.
2. A spade shovel.
3. A flat shovel.
4. A place to build the dirt jumps (make a wise choice)
5. A plan.

Something that will make you job a lot easier is some friends(make sure they are hard workers) the more the merrier just make sure you have enough tools to go around. Best thing is if everyone brings there own.

and now

1. How big do you want to build the jumps? If you are an experienced dirt jumper then building only big jumps may suit you just fine but what about the other people that will be riding there? It is usually best to make a variety of sizes so you and your friends can work up to the big jumps.

2. How much space do you have? Be aware of the area where you are building your dirt jumping trails. Make sure your plan is for the area you have and not just a random sketch of a few jumps.

3. How hard are you and your friends willing to work? You may not want to overdue your plans. It is sometimes better to start small and keep building your dirt jumps over time. If your project is too big you or your buddies may get discouraged and quit.

4. What direction do you want to go? Dirt jumping trails are directional. This means that you will only be able to go one way. You have to decide which direction you want to go before you start building dirt jumping trails.

5. How is rain going to affect my dirt jumping trials? Water will stand berms, holes, pits, and other low areas of your trails. This can ruin your dirt jumps and your day. Plan ahead to dig out a draining system to direct the water away from anything that it can harm.

understand? sweet keep reading.

The size of your dirt jump is very important. You want them to be the right size to project you and your bike the correct distance.

A dirt jump for beginners should be about two feet tall and around four or five feet apart. An average dirt jump should be about four feet tall and around six foot apart.

Sketching Your Dirt Jumping trails.

First you should check out other dirt jumping trails by either going to some or looking at photos on the internet or in magazines to get a basic idea of what you want and what they should look like.

It's boring i know but keep reading,

Now go to the area where you plan to build your dirt jumping trails and start to sketch out what you want your dirt jumps to look like.

and now the fun begins.

Building Your Dirt Jumps

coz now that you have a plan it’s time to start building dirt jumps. Go out to your area and clear it out. Cut down the weeds, rake the leaves, and remove anything that is in the way. BUT DO NOT IN THE NAME OF SAM HILL, DO NOT CUT DOWN TREES!!!!!

now get DIRTy

the first place you could start getting your dirt is your draining system. the once you run out o' dirt you can simply find a place where you aren’t planning to build any jumps that has good dirt and start digging.

now this next bit is important.

The Launch pad.

Continue to pile the dirt until you get the mound of dirt the size you want. Now pack the dirt by hitting it with the shovels and standing on it. Once you get it packed down good start to shape the face of the Take-off. You want a good lip on your Take-off jump so start from the top of the jump and start carving down with your flat shovel creating a nice smooth curve. The face of the jump needs to be very smooth and even all the way across. The curve should come to an almost vertical position. This is the lip that is going to get you the air time you want. Continue packing the face of the Take-off.It is very important to get your jumps packed so that they are solid.

The Landing Strip
Follow the same techniques used to make the Take-off jump. Pile the dirt and pack it as solid as you can. The only differences are the shape and the size. The landing is going to be a little wider and longer. The shape of the landing shouldn’t be near as steep as the Take-off. It needs to be shaped for a nice smooth landing.

nearly done.

The PIT OF DEATH(not really)
The pit is in between every set of jumps that you have. It is what is going to allow you to keep your speed and momentum so you can flow through the jumps. If done correctly you can pump through the pits and even gain speed. Be sure that your draining system drains the pits because they will hold water if you let them. It is very simple to carve out the pit. You just want to dig out a smooth curve in-between your landings and your Take-offs.

Water Your Dirt Jumps
Yes you read it right. Dirt jumps need to be watered too. Soak them down with a hose or water from your five gallon buckets. If you can’t get any water to your trails you will have to wait until it rains once. The water is going make your jumps strong and solid once they dry. However, do not ride on your dirt jumping trails when they are wet. This will cause grooves in your dirt jumps that can be dangerous and a lot of work to fix. You have worked hard enough building them in the first place to screw it all up now.

Time to Go Riding
hit that shit!!!!!!!
and thank your mates!!!!!

Commecnalrider

Likes Dirt
really really good advice

thanks rid3R13 that... its really good advice :eek: thanks alot i'll build them extra good because of that encouragment!