Need help deciding on a new bike: Sight 7.2, Trance Adv 0, Rocky Altitude help!

JimmyL

Squid
Hi guys,

I'm really stuck looking for a new bike.

I'm currently on a 2015 Lapierre Zesty 527 AM, and I'm looking for a new rig.
I've taken a bunch for a spin and just keep getting more confused.
Tried a stumpy 650b and GT and not stoked on either.

My style is aggressive trail. I would love an ENDURO bike but I need/want to be really efficient at peddling up on big all mountain rides in BC, NZ, etc.
Whilst still being a fantastic descending bike...
66-67 degree H/A seems to be the magic area.
I want a bike that I can get spare parts for while travelling (rather than say a Canyon or boutique brand)

I've got it down to a few options:

Norco Sight 7.2carbon, with the pike pushed out to 160mm (160/140 combo)
Trance Advanced 0 carbon, with a shorter stem, wider bars and pushing the Pike to 150mm (150/140 combo)
Rocky Altitude
2016 Lapierre Zesty 527 AM

all 1x11, but varying parts.
I'm super stuck. would appreciate any advice!!!

Delazy

Got a new bike!

i recently purchased the norco sight a7.1...have to say im very impressed with it...find it climbs better than my old 29er hardtail did of which is a good 2kg lighter...as for going down, it loves it!

bellsy

Likes Dirt
I also love aggressive trail riding, and recently purchased a Sight C7.2 recently and have been blown away.
https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=b0856fc4916dda33f8127a23975043b5&oe=57730DCD

I just spent 3 days riding in the Snowy Mtns, and rode everything from the fire trails and singletrack in Jindy/Crackenback, as well as 2 days on the chairlift at Thredbo.
Hit up 10+ runs on the Flow trail, 3 runs on the AM trail and 1 on the DH course. All just after a race weekend, so there were bombholes everywhere. Bike didn't skip a beat.

The bike was honestly fantastic everywhere except for the steepest/roughest stuff on the DH track. I ran the CCDBinline about 30% stiffer than the recommended baseline to control the big hits a little better.
Through all but the roughest parts, I was quicker than my mate on his S-Works Demo on the DH course.

For general trail riding, the bike is a weapon. Once setup, it's super plush, has LOADS of grip and is really nimble and playful. Don't expect it to climb like a rocket, but it will comfortably get you to the top with plenty of energy left to smash the descends.

I'm also going to increase the Pike's travel to 160mm travel. It's all it really needs to make the Sight one of the best all-rounders on the market, and enable it to handle the odd day on a proper DH course.

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers

i recently purchased the norco sight a7.1...have to say im very impressed with it...find it climbs better than my old 29er hardtail did of which is a good 2kg lighter...as for going down, it loves it!
Don't let johnny see your bike parked on the trail like that... :boink:

Delazy

Got a new bike!
Don't let johnny see your bike parked on the trail like that... :boink:
haha..yeh fair call..

if its any excuse it was pretty much at the trail head and another rider was 15m back fixing a broken chainlink on the side of the trail...

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate, go the Rocky Mountain Altitude, i brought one in 2014 and have not looked back. The best bike i have ever ridden.