need help on new rear shock

Iron_Shano

Likes Bikes
Hey guys i am looking at upgrading from my progressive 5th element rear shock and was looking for some advice on what to get.
Any help is appreciated.

$ean

Likes Dirt
I use a xfusion glyder - its a pretty good rear shock - The bike I use for Downhill I bought off some other guy who rides in the Sunshine series and it seemed to do him the job. Ill have to find how it works for me when i run next year:p

what bike do you have?

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yea im not really keen on an air shock
depending on which one, air shocks can actually work bloody well when set up right.

they're easier to get a perfect spring rate, and, if you like it, have a really good bottom resistance.

some get more stiction than others, but some have hardly any.
i run both my bikes with air shocks, one a dhx 3 air and one a ROCO WC air.
the roco feels alot better, the dhx is good, but the roco is more sensitive and ramps up better with better compression dampning.
the dhx has more noticeable rebound damping however.

coil shocks, roco, dhx, swingers, then you have your cane creek double barrel and bos Stoy at the higher end.

depends on how much your willing to spend and what adjustments you want.

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a Rock Shox Vivid 5.1 on my Sunday and I love it.
I find the shock great adjustibility wise as it has both high and low speed rebound which helps with setting the shock up to suit your riding style. I would highly reccomend it as I have only had really good experiences with it.

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently sold my 5th element and upgraded to a Vivid 5.1, It is on another planet, I have riden dhx5 but I like the Vivid so much more, The low and high speed rebound helps alot, saved my arse at stromlo a few times.

M1$T@ M1

Likes Bikes
Rear shock

Mate , i bought B8AST's 5th and am putting a larger lb spring on her , 300 lb?. At the moment im running a Fox Van R/C , but the 5th is a wicked shock,SOOOOOO much adjustability. Air/Oil/Coil/Low-High Compression/Bottom-Top Stroke ? Go bonkers getting your setup, but it gets you thinking. Fox DHX maybe for your $$ . Just get a shock -ride/ adjust the crap outta it. Test another (buy- like i did) . See what your missing (?) Hope this helps? Cheers Ned :D