Need More Saftey!

Mopageboy

Likes Bikes
Hey everyone,

I'm riding my MTB mostly around the You Yangs (both stockyards and plantation) and around Anglesea. I ride my hardtail mostly on the cross country tracks at the youies, I usually take it down boulder run or cressy's as well. A few of the tracks up at the stockyards are starting to freak me out a little (I did Trav's diamond for the first time a week out from my wedding - Could have been bad!). Luckily I've not had a bad stack yet (touch wood). There's plenty of threads about what particular brand of safety gear to buy once you know what type you want, so I can sift through them later. But I'm not sure what type would be best for my first upgrade. at the moment I've got some full finger gloves and a 'regular' helmet.

I'm thinking either going to a full face helmet or a set of kneepads. What do the rotorburners think is a better choice?

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wearing that sort of gear in an xc ride is probrably more likely to cause you to crash. For xc gloves and a helmet. By the sounds of it you are a fairly new rider and limited by a Hardtail you wouldnt be pushing the speed factor on those tracks. Best advice is if you do fall off stay relaxed dont stiffen up and try and stop the fall, its happening deal with it.

Mopageboy

Likes Bikes
I've been riding for a few years now. It's because I'm starting to do things faster and take the rock gardens that I'm starting to think that some better safety gear is needed.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have no clue as to what the riding around You Yangs etc, but by the sounds of it, it is mainly trail riding.

In all honesty, a decent helmet and gloves are all you are a really ever going to need. The only thing I would suggest to potentially put your mind at ease, is to invest in some knee guards. 661 make some really decent ones, I have a pair for downhill and find them great. Personally I am not a fan of the hard shelled protective stuff, it is far to restricting for my liking, and I would think it might be a little over kill for trail riding; if in fact my assumption is right as far as the riding goes.

Have a look at these anyway; http://sixsixone.com/bike/soft-shell-pads/knee-soft-shell-pad

driftking

Wheel size expert
safety gear is a person preference really, you see downhill riders wearing no gear just a full face and a riding kit, while others will kit up with body armor all around and others will fall somewhere in the middle of none to all out. it comes down to what you think is necessary, for instance I have mates who ride some of our dh trails with just a standard bucket helmet, no full face, of course the riding is dialed down and more chilled.

What do you feel you need, I cant imagine many xc trails if any requiring a full face, you will also get a lot hotter because your not traveling at crazy speeds so the ventilation will be minimal to none. you will also notice the weight. That said if you feel you need it get one. I am not familiar with the exact trails so a full face maybe be on the cards.

As for other gear G-form seems to be the best for xc stuff its super light weight and minimal but offers plenty of protection for that riding. A pair of knees and elbows might be a good start if you feel necessary. If you want to protect the eyes some riding glasses might be a nice investment too.

overall one of the best things you can do is to get better at riding with practice and importantly if you workout make sure your working on mobility and stability to help your crash worthiness.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picture what a man made of spaghetti would look like. Now be him when your crashing, works for me.

indica

Serial flasher
If you are considering a full face helmet for riding XC, may I suggest you also wear one for walking as that is far more dangerous. Maybe full body armour too?

An AM style helmet like a Fox Flux may be the go for a bit better protection.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
Boulder and Cressy are both moderately techy All Mountain styled trails, so you won't need a full face helmet and neck brace etc.

I'd recommend an AM styled helmet like a Fox Flux, Giro Hex or Bell Super and some light-ish knee and elbow pads like the 661 Riot.

slowmick

38-39"
Be careful that your new safety gear doesn't make you feel invincible. You aint.

Me, I bought a new piece of armour each time I saw a bone. Over the years I've bought shin, elbow and knee guards to cover the scars. They pretty much only get a run for serious downhill trails along with the full face helmet.

Knees seems to take a while to heal but most people find knee guards uncomfortable to pedal in for hours. I have troy lee ones that you have to take your shoes off to put on so not suitable for the ride back to the top of Cressy.

In the short term a long sleeve tops keeps the dirt out of your wounds when you fall. Bethpanthen keeps them moist and clean and they heal quickly.

The more you ride the Youies the more confident you will get. And when you find the line through the rock garden can you paint a line for me...