Need new pedals

metalhead39

Likes Bikes
Im in need of some new flat pedals and need a bit of help on choosing the ones with the most grip, ive got two brands in my mind at the moment which are strait lines and the crank bros 50XX pedals but im still a bit unsure on which pedals to buy. im getting a brand new pair of 5 10 this week some time so will be getting new pedals soon.

Thanks for your feedback

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Straitline's for the win, very grippy and easy to work on.

I've been looking at some NC-17's lately for some weight saving

trevorhy

Likes Bikes
Don't forget to have a look at the Kona Wah Wah Pedals. Great bang for the buck and I love the fact that the pins are driven in from the back so no matter how much you mash them you can always get the pins out easily.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got 2 pairs of 50/50s (both X and the sealed XX pedals) and they're fine.
Minimal maintenance is required, of course, but you should factor that into your thinking anyway - you're getting into racing-level pedals, and like all top-end stuff, maintenance is required.
That said, the only real issues seem to be the pins.
If you add a little extra Loctite (blue) then they seem to hold much better.
You can get the extra-long silver pins (they come with short silver pins, which are fine - for cruising!) which do stay put better, but might not be aggressive enough.
The 5/10s will help a lot, though.
I've ridden Straitlines, but not owned them.
Look awesome, will KILL you shins if you whack them - but have reportedly poor life in the wet/mud.
BUT, I've read they've updated the bearings (now 100% Igus IGLIDE Polymer Bearing System) and that's supposed to have cleared things up.
Universal Cycles in the US have some 50/50xx's for about $65AUD (only Gold/Black:http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=7031).
Even including air freight, that's well below local pricing.
I got one set from there, reliable source.
Finally, I can also second the NC-17 pedals (see Chain Reaction Cycles).
Used them in Germany (mud...) and they were great.
Light, too - over 200g lighter than the competition (Sudpin III).
Just a thought :D

Last edited:

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a thought :D[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the hi-jack, How did the Sudpin III's compare to
Straitlines, as grippy and smooth???

They're pretty light and look grippy

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
Jet black pedals about 100 bucks, thin profile, and they use small allan key headed bolts for most of the pins that can be easily accesed and replaced. Unlike 5050 which has custom hardware holding the plates on i know this when i repaired a pair for a mate and had to make some modifications with some permanent lock tight. Clearly designed by the marketing department and the best example of form over function on a bike part yet.:rolleyes:

i'd recommend a set of atomlabs - i run them on my Dh rig and their low profile helps with that little bit of extra clearance and when they do cop some abuse, they've taken it no worries! otherwise, i'd go with the jetblacks that were already mentioned. I run them on my xc rig - also a low profile, plus light, grippy & cheap.

metalhead39

Likes Bikes
i ended up getting a set of funn soljams in orange with the sealed bearings, oh man i can see me getting ass raped by someone on here for that choice.... oh well i have heard that they are quite good pedals so ill just have to wait and see when they come in the mail:)

Tizz--

Likes Dirt
i ended up getting a set of funn soljams in orange with the sealed bearings, oh man i can see me getting ass raped by someone on here for that choice.... oh well i have heard that they are quite good pedals so ill just have to wait and see when they come in the mail:)
Good choice man, I have some and they are super grippy especially with the 5-10's.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DMR V12's going super cheap around ebay and TBSM ive been running a set for the better part of 10years, apart from the occasional extra bit of geese ive never had to pull them appart, tho the atomlab/dark cycles/etc are great, anything that is billet alloy is great and light.

also now i know im going to get reemed for this but lots of guys i ride with seem to love the kona low profile sealed pedals (quote best pedals ive ridden on) and that was from a guy of 28 changed from chrome plated magnesium dmr v12's on a socom

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dark Cycles arachnid. They look super cool, and are lighter than the straightlines.
Mate, pretty much all new pedals are lighter than Straitlines. They are over 500g and it isn't too hard to find pedals around 400g and even under 300g for a pair now.

Considering your budget you might also want to look at Deity Decoys.

Mountains of pedals on the market now!

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a thought :D
Sorry for the hi-jack, How did the Sudpin III's compare to
Straitlines, as grippy and smooth???

They're pretty light and look grippy[/QUOTE]

I rode these pedals on one bike there:

Bit heavy, but otherwise excellent.
I haven't ridden the SudPin IIIs, so I'd have to guess they work as well as their other stuff.
NC-17 is not well known here, but they make top-rate stuff, and it's everywhere in Germany.
Highly recommended.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Brands.aspx?BrandID=557

Mate, pretty much all new pedals are lighter than Straitlines. They are over 500g and it isn't too hard to find pedals around 400g and even under 300g for a pair now.

Considering your budget you might also want to look at Deity Decoys.

Mountains of pedals on the market now!
I'm playing with a set of Wellgo Mag pedals, bought for $40 (2nd hand) but mainly because they were 270g for the pair.
My Crank Brothers 50/50xx are 545g, I think.
I've applied that process to the entire bike and saved 1.5kg...
Seem plenty grippy enough and I'll see how they wear. Considering Wellgo make a number of big brand pedals, I think they actually know what they're doing with their own.

Last edited:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Dark Cycles arachnid. They look super cool, and are lighter than the straightlines.

I've gone from these to the DM fever and found for the slight lose of grip that the comfort and different platform is worth it, found myself cornering better, jumping cleaner etc after the change.

And fevers are only 372g, going to get a stack of them in I'm that impressed. (Along with the funky stem, GOD damn! 175g for a sub $100 31.8mm stem )
http://www.fearlesscycles.com.au/Images/fever.jpg

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186894&highlight=dartmoor You can see how low profile they are here on Billy's bike.

Last edited: