Need some info on PIKES please!

Hi all. Keen to get a pair of Pike 454 air u-turns. I was wondering what was the last year they were made (2009-2010?) and where (if anywhere!) I could find a new pair for sale (pref. ACT or NSW). I don't know what my chances are of finding some are...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers:)
Nathan.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
08 I'm fairly sure..might be 09 but I'm sure it was 08.

As for finding some...TBSM, chain reaction...search google....they're discontinued so if you're after the same features look for some Revelations as they have the same internals.

floody

Wheel size expert
Revelation>Pike.

I'd shoot for one of those. As noted same guts basically but considerably more precise/stiff in the chassis.

Thanks guys.:)
Yes, I was wondering how similar the Revelations were... So they are pretty much what the Pikes became then?
Sweet, I'll look at getting some of those instead.
Thanks for the info!

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
I've only ridden Pikes, so don't have any first hand experience but I was under the impression they were stronger and less prone to flex than Revelations, not the other way round?

floody

Wheel size expert
Strength I can't be 100% committal on but given the Revs are 150mm now and specced on bikes that hit harder than anything pikes come on I reckon they'd be reasonable.

They are much less flexy side to side and front to back though. So definitely stiffer, unsure if stronger.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Aren't Pikes discontinued? (this is why I'm trying to get some answers for the OP)

I'm fairly sure Pikes have a steel steer tube, Revelations have alloy; Pikes have lowers which are slightly (~200g) heavier than the Revelations too but I have no idea if it's got more material or it's simply a different material.

I look at it like this based on that and what floody said about the stiffness characteristics: the Pikes use steel lowers and steerer, and steel being more prone to flex, but generally being stronger, it kinda lines up with what I thought: Pikes being stronger - Revelations stiffer.

Stiffness and strength are two independent characteristics, personally I'd go for the Revelations as you'll have slightly more precise steering which translates into more control. Unless you're really pushing the limits I don't think you'd have a need for any more strength from a Pike - if they even are that much stronger anyway.

kaji

Likes Dirt
on the sram website, there is no pikes in the 2011 lineup. having said that i'm a fan of them - got a set of 2008 454 air-uturns on one of my bikes.

bipyjamas

Likes Dirt
Aren't Pikes discontinued? (this is why I'm trying to get some answers for the OP)

I'm fairly sure Pikes have a steel steer tube, Revelations have alloy; Pikes have lowers which are slightly (~200g) heavier than the Revelations too but I have no idea if it's got more material or it's simply a different material.

I look at it like this based on that and what floody said about the stiffness characteristics: the Pikes use steel lowers and steerer, and steel being more prone to flex, but generally being stronger, it kinda lines up with what I thought: Pikes being stronger - Revelations stiffer.

Stiffness and strength are two independent characteristics, personally I'd go for the Revelations as you'll have slightly more precise steering which translates into more control. Unless you're really pushing the limits I don't think you'd have a need for any more strength from a Pike - if they even are that much stronger anyway.
Just so you're aware, the lowers are magnesium and depending on which model Pike, the the steerer may be chromo (409) or alloy (454).

floody

Wheel size expert

Some of both, as noted some pikes are alloy steerer, some steel, all have alloy stanchions.

I think the powerbulge lowers make a big difference to stiffness.