Need some mechanical help.

who...?

Likes Dirt
So i did a service on my mums car the other day, oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs ect.... But when it came time to do the fuel filter, no matter how hard i looked i could not find it any where, iv googled and wiki'd and looked throught the owners manual back to front and back again but still no luck.

So my question is do any of you rotoburns no where it would be..? The car is a 2004 NISSAN Pulsar st (hatch)
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers matt.

taquar

Likes Dirt
One would assume it would be under the bonnet. You can just follow the fuel line from the tank to the engine, and seeing as it's most likely a high pressure system, it'll be in a fairly solid metal case (don't quote me on that). Will probably say "Fuel filter" or something similar on it. :p

It's doubtful that you need to change the fuel filter though. It has only ever been changed once on my 1993 Toyota LC. One of the main signs that it needs to be changed is if the car isn't getting to high revs, because the filter or fuel line has a blockage and isn't allowing the fuel to get to the engine. Cause naturally, you'd know that higher revs = more fuel being used.

Last edited:
ive never done work on a pular but have bein an diesel apprentice im guessit will have 2 ,1 just after fuel pump if its not an internal one and another after the pump

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
Unless you have had dodgy fuel it will probably be fine to leave it.
I'm guesing that the 2004 model is fuel injected so if there is insufficient fuel pressure the ECU will tell you in the form of some type of warning light.

who...?

Likes Dirt
Im only going to change it as it has never been changed befor and my old lady brought the car second hand, and i thought why not just do it as iv done every thing else so i may as well change the fuel filter and have everything running spick and span as the car was sounding a bit under the weather.

Yeah i went from the fuel tank and followed the line all the way up to the engine bay and then all through the engine bay but still no luck at all.

I also thought that maybe it dose not have a fuel filter but maybe some other kind of crap removal contraption but then i thought well if the auto store sold me a filter to fit that make and modle then it should have one.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
auto stores will sell you a long weight and some spark plug gaps if you ask them..

try following the fuel lines the other way.. (work back from the injectors) it may be build into the end of the fuel rail. another possibility is that it could be built into the pump so if you can be bothered and really cant find it anywhere else try pulling that out

_CODY_

Likes Dirt
I spent 10 weeks doing work exp at Nissan for school. Not that that really matters. Ive noticed that heaps of nissans fuel filters are mounted on the fire wall...so have a look around that area.

ozten

Banned
Have a look halfway along the car where all the fuel lines run up, should look like a gold cigar tube lookin thing

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I spent 10 weeks doing work exp at Nissan for school. Not that that really matters. Ive noticed that heaps of nissans fuel filters are mounted on the fire wall...so have a look around that area.
Thats where mine is in a civic......Infact I need to change mine..

Do you guys take the fuse out for the pump and run the engine dry, or do you just yank it out and mop up the fuel?

_CODY_

Likes Dirt
Thats where mine is in a civic......Infact I need to change mine..

Do you guys take the fuse out for the pump and run the engine dry, or do you just yank it out and mop up the fuel?
Nah...clamp fuel lines in and out of filter.....remove.....clean up a little bit of fuel with a lighter;)

floody

Wheel size expert
Follow fuel lines away from fuel rail, one will lead to filter.

To change it, start the car, pull the fuel pump fuse or unplug the fuel pump connector (probably in the boot, under the carpet under a metal shield). Let it run until it stops - just idling, don't rev it or anything.

You should now have sweet f#ck all pressure in the fuel feed line so you won't spray fuel everywhere. BTW I suggest doing all this as the first order of business one morning while the car is cold, given the obvious implications.
Moving on it will either have some sort of sprung clamp, screw-type hose clamp or even a threaded fitting, undo the hoses from the filter, replace with new one, tighten it all up, reconnect fuel pump/replace fuse, run car, check for leaks, done.

I change mine with each service ~10-15,000kms.

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
It could also be directly behind the tank as the fuel exits. My ute has that, but I doubt your Pulsar is the same, worth checking if you havent found it yet.

Floodys way is the "proper" way, but you can just clamp the lines and filter out, filter in like _CODY_ said. Although you do tend to get more petrol on you that way.