Netflix and Stan in Australia?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Apologies if this has already been covered (couldn't find it in a search), but what are people's thoughts on Netflix and Stan and Aus? I've signed up to both for the free trial period, but I'm tempted not to go ahead in spite of such a potentially tempting, cheap and user friendly package. I'm using Google Chrome on the TV with the iphone apps and it's an excellent way of viewing. Here are my reasons:

1. Both are way behind what is current, yes they have some of the TV shows I want to watch, but they are consistently about 1 - 2 seasons behind. Some examples are: Homeland, Shameless (US), Vikings, Halt and Catch Fire and Better Call Saul.

2. Neither have a complete inventory of all that I want to watch. No Walking Dead, Game of Thrones or Girls - all of which are available on separate content providers (possibly not even available in Aus). I really don't want to have to sign up for at least 4 providers just to watch stuff that is readily available and completely up to date on Pirate Bay.

I'm quite happy to pay for content, I'd just like it to be up to date and not spread across multiple providers, which gets expensive. I'm aware of the option of using a VPN to get access to the vastly superior US Netflix, which may even be up to date, but it's a pita, costs money and VPNs on an already crappy ADSL2+ connection won't be fast enough to stream HD video.

I feel like Aus Netflix and Stan is forcing me to watch some really substandard TV as the shows I really want to watch (which are all there on Pirate Bay right now) aren't available. Do I really want to wait months or even years in the hope they will get their shit together and match what is available in the US?

Perhaps the problem is that I've been using Pirate Bay up until now and have gotten used to everything being available the second it comes out... Really easy to play on the TV as well with a WDTV and now the Chrome video app that sends any media on the computer to the TV.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I'm finding plenty on both that's worth watching, but yeah, if I want to stay current with most shows I have to...er...resort to other means.

There's some pretty good original programming on Netflix, as well as Amazon Prime, which launched in Aus at the end of last year. Now, if we could just get Hulu, with all US content...

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
um... if there is nothing on there you want to watch, why would you use them?

Have had both, and they're both good for binge watching stuff, and catching up on stuff you haven't seen, but not so good for current stuff. We were on stan, ts a smidge cheaper, but we'd smash through our net limit (currently only on a 100GB nbn plan) so we switched to netflix as it's free data on our plan. There's always stuff to watch, but usually the stuff i wouldn't actually go oooh must see, more wouldn't mind seeing... basically good for filler stuff.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1. THeres nothing they can do about a lot of those series, they are under contract with foxtel etc in Australia, they are unable to do anything about it. (stan has both season of better call saul though so not sure what you're missing there...) Hell, even a lot of Netflix shows are under contract with foxtel, since those agreements were established before netflix was properly launched here, so they will always be a season behind until those contracts expire.

2. Networks that produce content will hold onto it, HBO Now is available in a round about way here, similar to how we got netflix ahead of official launch here.

You'll have to keep singing up for accounts and work arounds, torrent or pay for foxtel. Im not paying for foxtel but I do pay for stan and netflix. I pay for a month of amazon prime here and there to catch up on series, but dont keep that going all the time.

Two problems here are a) some first party content providers aren't here in a big way (amazon prime, you can get their first party stuff in AU but have to work around to get their extended catalogue. HBO Now is a pain in the ass) b) foxtel and other old tech content providers have alot of content under contract, netflix etc cant get around that and its not their fault. Vote with your wallet and viewing habits however you want but so long as we continue to reward old ways they will hang around.

Things are improving, slowly, but we have to keep up with pushing in the right direction and that is easiest to demonstrate with our wallets. Disney (including marvel and lucas film) releasing all new movies on netflix in the states is surely a sign of times to come, but foxtel will continue to push back.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I didn't really like much on Stan so I'm not bothering with that.

I currently have Netflix account active, but I had it turned off for a few months when I was waiting for new stuff to come out.

Between Netflix, iview and SBS on demand, there is enough for me to watch (no TV - just xbox + monitor for our entertainment system)... But I'll need to get something happening for footy season (although channel 7 can be streamed now, so perhaps its fine).

Always a VPN and the old eztv option if you need to keep up to date with latest.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
1. THeres nothing they can do about a lot of those series, they are under contract with foxtel etc in Australia, they are unable to do anything about it. (stan has both season of better call saul though so not sure what you're missing there...) Hell, even a lot of Netflix shows are under contract with foxtel, since those agreements were established before netflix was properly launched here, so they will always be a season behind until those contracts expire.
Thought something like that was going on behind the scenes. Damn shame as Netflix could be great and make a lot more money.

I'm wanting to watch Season 3 of Better Call Saul.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did the trial month with Netflix. I am not really interested in the binge TV shows so was more interested in movies but found the selection paltry. The only thing it was good for was standup comedy. When you have seen what is available as torrents and maybe have expectations for older and non-mainstream stuff Netflix just is lousy. It also has a terrible search engine. Couple that with lousy ADSL where I live I did the month and cancelled it.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
When you have seen what is available as torrents and maybe have expectations for older and non-mainstream stuff Netflix just is lousy. It also has a terrible search engine. Couple that with lousy ADSL where I live I did the month and cancelled it.
Yep, you've nailed it right there. Definitely going to cancel it when the month runs out and stick with torrents. At least the money I spent of the Chromecast dongle won't be wasted as it's awesome for sending movies (downloaded) on the computer to the TV using Videosteam Chrome app.

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
I pay for Netflix and just torrent anything I want.

Mainly motoGP and walking dead.
I TRIED to pay for walking dead via the playstation streaming service and then suffered through a whole season of SD quality and stop-start buffering (payed $30 for the privilege).
As for paying to watch motoGP online, forget about it! last time I looked it cost hundreds per year...

My theory is that if it has been on free-to-air tv or is more than a few weeks old then the content is open for all

So I am paying for new content to be made just not paying money to the correct distributor, its not like the money from watching the wiggles on netflix goes directly to making that show anyway.
(look up how spotify pays artists, beiber and katy perry get all the cash even though im listening to the prodigy and king gizzard)
I'm paying money to someone so in my eyes that's pretty good.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought something like that was going on behind the scenes. Damn shame as Netflix could be great and make a lot more money.

I'm wanting to watch Season 3 of Better Call Saul.
Thatll be on stan as soon as it airs in the states?