New 29er Wheelset - wheel wont spin freely

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
Frustrated.........

Ok, so I have just popped a Jetblack Rocket 29er wheelset on the Kona. The only problem is they don’t spin freely.

I have loosened the locknuts - (for the want of a better description), on each side of the hub and taken the pressure off the bearings. I then tighten them back up but not too much and pop the wheels back on and low and behold they spin freely. BUT as soon as I go for a ride they are tight again, and again the wheels won’t spin freely. It got to the point the other night that half way around a lap of Bruce Ridge it felt like I was riding uphill all the time.

I’m at a lose as what to try next. Has anyone ever encountered this problem with a sealed bearing hub before? Or have any suggestions as to how to fix? Its driving me crazy and the funny thing is the only reason I went for the JB Rocket’s if that I use a set on the Yeti and they have proven bombproof.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
New set? Old set? Bought from shop? Take it back?

Driveside freehub bearing not pressed in correctly? Missing spacer between freehub body and driveside bearing?

- Joel

Last edited:

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
hey Joel - hangon aren't i asking the question here :p

yeah new set, yes from shop, though from TBSM and im in Canberra so i would have to pay freight back up there.

did a bit of a google search again last night and yes it was suggested that bearings may not be seated properly and to tap the axle with a rubber mallet and see if that shocks them into place. Other wise i might need to take them back next time im in Sydney.