New 4x Bike

I am looking at buying a new 4x bike. I have convinced my parents in spending around $3-$4000. I want to start racing but know very little about these bikes.

What would people recommend in this price range???

Do i go for a hardtail or dualie ???

Thanks...

LukeRydes

Banned
I do love those bikes but a bit too big for 4x me thinks.

Try a kona bass they are a great 4x dually and only cost about $3000 or the norco xxxx look good but I've never ridden one.
Yea, u are right mike, i just love them and i would recommend one for most riding styles.

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are a number of options for the price range. You will have to make the decision to get either a dually or a hard tail. each have their own pros an con's but can both utilised on a 4x race course.
If i were to get a duallie it would have to be a yeti 4x. arfter riding one, i was just amazed at how light and nible they were considering all the bad press that i had heard about dual suspension 4x bikes.
I would also consider a yeti dj or something along thoose lines. try to stay away from complete bikes as they will tend not to be specific 4x bikes and will be a 'do it all bike'. the only 4x specific dually that i have come across is the norco xxxx. If you were to change a few things such as tyres, you would have a mint 4x bike but im not too sure on the wieght of these.

my 2cents

phil p.

Likes Dirt
Your best bet would be to get an aluminium hardtail frame as it will be lighter, faster (unless you're racing on a very rough track) and cheaper than a dual sus. A hardtail will accelerate faster and will be more responsive on the track.
If you're only starting out there should'nt be much need for a $4000 bike yet and you're probably best getting a complete bike (I'm assuming this is your 1st 4x bike). You can then do whatever upgrades you need with the money you have saved. A common but good example is a Giant STP which are great with a few changes (tires, pedals etc) or a Commencal Absolut.

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
Commencal Absolut VIP 4x frame, Rockshox Reba forks at something like 80mm-100mm, road bike derailleur, light tubes and tires and wheelset. $4,000 will get you an incredibly nice 4X bike.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For most australian 4x courses you don't really need suspension, let alone a dually. Though it's a requirment to have some kind of suspension.

If you've never raced 4x before, you'd be better off picking up a cheap 2nd hand hardtail and having a little fang around at a few races and see how you like it.

But it's your money and because i'm such a nice guy ill help you spend it.

you want a light weight, nimble frame.
Banshee amp is very light at 2kgs. But it has horizontal drop outs
Yeti DJ is just epic, can't go wrong.

forks, you should only need 80mm of travel:
Rockshox reba, light xc forks, you've got to learn to ride smooth but they should hold up.
Or Fox F80's.

wheels - Hope pro 2 on mavic xm717 or if you think youre a bit of a hack get some ex721's.

Brakes - Avids are good, juicy 5/7's if you want a little less weight and spend less money. Or elixr's if you want more power. You should be good with juicys though
Shimano XT's i reckon have a really nice feel and are quite light, though not everyone likes them.

Other stuff - Shimano SLX cranks, saint derraileur, xt shifter, gamut chainguide, Easton EA70 bars and sunline stem. Maxxis larsen tyres.

But seriously, give it a go before shelling out.

azarawr

Likes Dirt
As above, If you don't know much about 4x you'll find starting off on something top of the range is not the way to go.
Alot like DH, You start on something basic, Then as you progress you buy something better. If you start of with the best, It'll be hard to progress further.

If that makes sense.

Craig Penglase

Likes Bikes
I'm still wondering if ur mum and dad will adopt me ? they will get two grand kids in the deal? But on a serious note look at a Blk Mrt handles awesome and rides tru with a cromo frame

Greg_bris

Likes Bikes
At the price point you should try a couple of different frames, I had a chameleon built up for 4x liked it then built up a Reign X0 frame for 4x and love it so much more, that I sold my Chameleon. Oh and with regards to the weight it is 11.8kg's, I have a lot of friends that would love the 4x bikes to be under the 12kg mark.

If you set the bike up properly having a dual suspension is not a hinderance at all.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At the price point you should try a couple of different frames, I had a chameleon built up for 4x liked it then built up a Reign X0 frame for 4x and love it so much more, that I sold my Chameleon. Oh and with regards to the weight it is 11.8kg's, I have a lot of friends that would love the 4x bikes to be under the 12kg mark.

If you set the bike up properly having a dual suspension is not a hinderance at all.
is it the reignx that you say is 11.8 kgs? id be very interested to see that....

Greg_bris

Likes Bikes
I'll see if you can find a photo of it on the scales......

Reba team forks,
Juicy Carbon brakes,
E-13 chain ring 34T
E-13 light chain guide
thompson masterpiece seat post cut in half
Ti fly seat
Thompson 70mm masterpiece stem
funn 720 bars,
FSA head-set
Stylo cranks
DT swiss e2200 rims,
ODI lock-ons grips

Last edited:

Jack456

Likes Dirt
Defenatly build up a custom hardtail, you will be able to make the nicest bike for $4000 i cant even imagine how happy id be with that much money lol