New 4x/Dj Bike Help

stinky dee

Likes Dirt
Hey all, just after some help with getting a new bike or frame to build up on.
First of all I have only ever ridden DH and XC so am not sure exactly what i want. Some of the bikes i have looked at have realy low top tubes where it meets the seat tube and some not so low. I am thinking of something that i could use for both 4x and dj and was hoping to get something light as well. Maybe alloy?
Also was wondering about horizontal and vertical dropouts (pros n cons) cause i want to have gears (I think). For sizing I'm about 6'2 if this helps.
One more thing, from what have read, the STP seams like a good starting point.
Any help would be great. Cheers, Stinky

song

Likes Dirt
indeed, STP is the way to go. have a dig on rotorburn or ebay. i'm about 6 foot 1 and i had the shorter top tube length STP, it was really good for dirt jumping, 4x was better then expected (really agile).

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unsure about dartmoore, but anything will break eventually, if it's your first hardtail Stp's go good, what's your budget? Horizontal dropouts let you run single speed easier, and once you try Ss you'll never want gears again

Daneel

Likes Dirt
Singlespeed seconded by me. Once you go to singlespeed you'll only ever want one gear. Zero running issues... Fantastic.

Depending on your budget, maybe check out some of the leaf cycles bikes, or the NS bikes ones (probably perfect for you - ribbed.com.au).

stinky dee

Likes Dirt
The only reason i was thinking gears is because i thought 4x looked fun. Anyway its easier & cheaper to convert geared to ss than the other way around.
Cheers for all the help guys. Think im settled on an STP.
Just one more thing, do i want a medium (13.5) or large(14.5)? Im about 6'2

Last edited:
mate i have been running a stp for 3 years now and they are a great beginners bike
and yeah i found changing to single speed over geared is so much easier and prone to less problems

Arking

Likes Bikes
I ride a Dartmoor Phantom and have nothing but good things to say. Sweet bike and should hold up fine for full on 4x and casual jumping, it's just not designed to wear the punishment of regular DJ sessions with repeated bails etc. (dartmoor make a few different DJ specific frames for that purpose).

Dartmoor actually make a pretty complete range of hardtails and the Phantom is intended to be race specific...maybe look into the 26Player/Cody/Hornet if you want more of a do-it-all/DJ/Trail hardtail. Rick at Fearless cycles is pretty helpful if you need more info.

Rob

Last edited:

stinky dee

Likes Dirt
Cheers guys for all the help.
I ended up buying a seccond had 08' STP 0 almost brand new for $700. Even the chain was still shiny!