New Anaconda Bike

Hi all,

New to the forum and new to Mountain Biking.

I have just purchased a Fluid Daytona 29er from Anaconda.

No idea who makes Fluid bike frames but I was attracted to this bike as a way to get started in casual cross country mountain biking.

Frame - Fluid Daytona 29er Hardtail (Large - 21 inch)
Front shock/fork - 100mm travel air suspension with remote lockout.
Handlebars - Generic 700mm
Stem - Generic
Headset - Generic
Grips - Generic
Saddle - Selle Royal Ellipse Athletic
Seatpost - Generic
Front brake - Shimano Deore M6100 Hydraulic Disc (180mm rotor)
Rear brake - Shimano Deore M6100 Hydraulic Disc (160 rotor)
Cranks - Generic
Chain - Generic
Pedals - Shimano T-8000 Deore XT
Rear derailleur - Shimano Deore Rear Deailleur Shimano Shadow RD+ 1x12 Speed
Rear shifter - Shimano Deore Rapidfire Plus Shifting Level Clamp Band 12-speed
Cassette - Sunshine-SZ 12 Speed - 11-52T
Front hub - Generic
Rear hub - Generic
Front rim - Generic
Rear rim - Generic
Spokes - Generic
Nipples - Generic
Tyres - Kenda 29x2.10
Tubes - Generic
Total weight - Heavy

I was attracted to the bike due to it having a 1x12 drivetrain.

It was fitted with 'Nutt' branded hydraulic disc brakes, 160mm rotors front and rear. I honestly can't find any detail on Nutt brakes, other than they seem to be used on some e-scooters. I wanted to match the brakes with the drivetrain so I bought the Shimano Deore m-6100 set. I might change out the gear shifter to the 'i-Spec' type to match it to the brake lever.

I had changed out the seat to one I already had on another commuter bike.

I bought new clipless pedals but wanted something I could also ride with regular shoes on occasion.

The handlebars seem comfortable to me. I see a lot of people have much wider handlebars so may change them out if I find them lacking on the trails.

I was thinking of changing out the forks to a big brand style. The wheels are fitted via Quick Release, I wouldn't mind getting a thru-axle wheel and will need a suitable suspension fork for that.

For some reason, half the fun for me is upgrading this generic bike with decent components, so I am keen to hear any suggestions.

Thanks all.

moorey

call me Mia
Welcome.
You’ll likely spend more upgrading than you would have buying with better spec, but if you’re having fun, that’s half the goal. I never buy complete bikes, rather I build them up from scratch.
Enjoy. That’s what bikes are for.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Welcome... ride it to Seth as is, then replace the whole thing. Or better still buy a new bike! You're due a new bike, bike you deserve it.

Thanks, I aim to build my next bike. Hopefully I can re-use some of the components I'm upgrading on this bike (brakes, pedals etc).

I'm already looking at Marin hard tail frames off bicycles online.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Curious to see where you take it. I have intimate knowledge of Anaconda's range of offerings, it's easily the closest they have to a real MTB.

Definitely change that fork.

Thanks for the responses.
The current fork is a tapered 100mm air no-name suspension. Would I run into any issues upgrading to a 120mm travel air fork? I understand it will change the head angle.
My biggest concern would be putting stress on the alloy frame causing damage.
Would a frame that is designed for a 100mm travel suspension fork be okay with 120mm?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Would a frame that is designed for a 100mm travel suspension fork be okay with 120mm?
I would think that it would be fine but the gains mightn't be enough to excite you. You risk overcapitalising the frame - which many of us have all done it.

I would suggest that you ride it as it is and enjoy it. It doesn't look like a bad bike at all and will get you out there and back just fine. Get familiar with it and learn some maintenance, see what you do like and you don't like. That will help you understand what you would like from your next bike.

Where you are planning to ride it is an important thing to think about. Whatever the trails are like that you will ride mostly should be the biggest guide on what sort of bike you should choose IMHO.

Run what you brung sir. I would have been very happy to have that as my first bike!

teK--

Eats Squid
Welcome. You've just bought the most addictive drug known to man. Say goodbye to your free time, money for food, and probably your rent or mortgage as well :D

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah, rule number one of the components on your first bike is fuck it then upgrade it. The forks shouldn't take long to fuck, but the rest looks like it will be solid until you are so hooked you shell out $5k+ on a dual bouncy thing ;) Good luck.
I agree. I think those forks will naturally sacrifice themselves sooner than later too. The rest will do fine.

It is nice how even the entry level bikes these days are so competent. Kudos to the Fluids and Polygon's of the world.
Shimano 12 speed drivetrain and brake and Selle saddle sure is a great start.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Welcome.

I wouldn't put any more money into this bike apart from getting some better tyres on there then riding the life out of it. Would you be open to getting some lessons too? If you get the core skills from the beginning your rate of progress will be huge and before you know it you'll be looking for a Spur or something that is a little more capable.

Cardy George

I agree. I think those forks will naturally sacrifice themselves sooner than later too. The rest will do fine.
100% agree the fork won't last long, BUT they have an air spring, don't know if you can open them up for a volume adjustment, but there's still some learning opportunities to be had before they die.

And the rest of the stuff isn't bad, but won't set the world on fire either.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
And the rest of the stuff isn't bad, but won't set the world on fire either.
Ahem! Most of us won't set the world on fire either until climate change wildfires, the next big asteroid crash, nuclear war or the sun goes nova and engulfs the earth and does it for us.

Thanks all.

I have been eyeing some 120mm air forks but may hold off for a while based on the responses. I'm still trying to figure out if I was riser handlebars as I feel very forward on the bike as is. I wouldn't mind sitting a bit more relaxed in an more upright position.

From what I have read though, XC biking you generally are further forward over the front wheel compared to other MTB styles.

I'm actually still waiting for my Deore brakes to be delivered. Currently still got the Nutt hydraulic brakes on which seem okay. So maybe the brakes weren't a necessary upgrade.

I had a weird desire to make everything Deore m6100.

Cardy George

Thanks all.

I have been eyeing some 120mm air forks but may hold off for a while based on the responses. I'm still trying to figure out if I was riser handlebars as I feel very forward on the bike as is. I wouldn't mind sitting a bit more relaxed in an more upright position.

From what I have read though, XC biking you generally are further forward over the front wheel compared to other MTB styles.

I'm actually still waiting for my Deore brakes to be delivered. Currently still got the Nutt hydraulic brakes on which seem okay. So maybe the brakes weren't a necessary upgrade.

I had a weird desire to make everything Deore m6100.
I have not had the pleasure of fixing a set of Nutts yet, I'm sure the day is coming, but they dont stand out as easy to work on. Deores are definitely worth it and can be transferred when you kill the frame.