New Ayups??

GoingDHfast

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

I have an older set of Ayups and am looking to get a new emitter for the helmet (narrow).

I am ready to buy now, but worried that the current Q5 CREE emitters are possibly about to be superseded by a new bin?

Any en-light-enment would be good.

Cheers,

GoingDHfast

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd ask Ayup. They've proven to be very honest with our experience so I think they'd tell you if a newer version was imminent.

Having said that, the current crop are damned fine so I wouldn't let the possibility of being superseded hold you back.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It would explain why their current lights are on sale.

I just got a set of night riders (one for helmet, one for bars). Whilst they're very light they're nowhere near as bright as the ayups. I still love them though, do the job just fine but if I had the choice again I'd go Ayups.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I'd ask Ayup. They've proven to be very honest with our experience so I think they'd tell you if a newer version was imminent.
Except for when you guys all went in the group buy and then Ayup lights went on sale the following week for cheaper. :p

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ha, I balanced out because my 2nd set (bar mounts) were on special. You win some......you lose some.

GoingDHfast

Likes Dirt
OK, now I am suspicious....

Got this reply today. As always a near-instant response from Ayup.

Hi there

You will find we are using the brightest leds currently available. You won’t know yourself upgrading from the Luxeon to our current lightsets.

Kind regards
Team Ay Up​

Call me a skeptic, but if they are usually honest about these things this seems to be the sort of answer I would get if they were just about to upgrade but dont want to slow demand....

On the other hand I should probably just take their advice and upgrade now.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They might not know that a new bin is on the way?

Often the next bin is not hugely brighter to the perception anyway.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Having been down at the otways over the weekend and talking to the lads at AYUP, the reasoning behind their specials as explained to me is more to do about administrative convienience than anything else. They apparently offer post event discounts to competitors of events that they sponsor. At the moment they are putting their name to numerous events over the coming months and for the ease of convienience they decided to reduce their prices to the event discount prices to make it easier for their staff and invoicing. I am lead to believe that these prices will be available till around May.

If its not the truth at least it sounded good and I brought some!

akashra

Eats Squid
R2 bin AY-UPs have been in development for at least 9 months now - a handful of riders have been out and about testing them (Rhyno, Bellie etc) but they've still not made it to market. There's a significant price increase from going to R2s over Q5s. By the time they're out R3 and R4 will probably be on the market - though remember, R2s are now over 15 months old technology. Phillips aren't anywhere near close to having a good competitor, and Cree are working on another line altogether, hence the long delay for an R3/R4 bin.

For a whole variety of reasons, they're of course not about to say "new/better ones are due soon", but mostly it'd just kill current model sales if they were open about that. Emailing and asking likely won't change that.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
R2 bin AY-UPs have been in development for at least 9 months now.....

(snip)There's a significant price increase from going to R2s over Q5s.....
Because I'm a lazy bastard, is there a significant difference with the upgrade in terms of lumins/ and or power used??

akashra

Eats Squid
Because I'm a lazy bastard, is there a significant difference with the upgrade in terms of lumins/ and or power used??
Lumens per Watt is a not-negligible amount higher on the R2, though I'm not sure an upgrade from Q5 to R2 (for a current Q5 owner) would be worthwhile. I'm still on Q2s, which were very quickly superseded with Q3s, and more recently Q5s.

Battery life would remain identical, though the switched batteries would allow you to decrease light output, and hence increase battery life.

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
The new Ayups are out. They come with a high/low/flashing option. I am thinking of getting new 8hrs battery for commuting. Would be very helpful. The new lights are more expensive (around $100 i think) and come in a proper case, rather than the bs neoprene. They also come with a red cover so they can be rear flashers for the rear.

I am not sure how powerful the new lights. My mate bought a new set seriously a week before the new lights and batteries got released are but my mate bought the a new set (read the set before the flashing ones) I cant believe how much more powerful they are compared to my one which are about 3 years old. Maybe I should upgrade the lights too. Maybe not at $121 a pop.

akashra

Eats Squid
I believe the head units are unchanged (though if someone can confirm, I'd love to hear more details) - ie, they're still Cree XLamp XR-E Q5s, and that it's only the batteries which have really changed.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I believe the head units are unchanged (though if someone can confirm, I'd love to hear more details) - ie, they're still Cree XLamp XR-E Q5s, and that it's only the batteries which have really changed.
Last review in AMB (or was it MBA?) stated ~30% increase in output.