New bike from insurance claim?

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
Well my pride and joy got stolen earlier in the week. Luckily it was insured and my insurance company is going through the motions of getting me a bike.

Now I am just curious what new bike should I be looking at getting? I am wanting something more XC based.

I have been looking on bikeexchange.com.au and I have seen a few Anthem X SL0's at heaps reduced prices allowing me to get 2 bikes basically (bike + store credit), or should I go all out and get just one good bike?

scblack

Leucocholic
Ask the insurance company. Some will not give you the choice you may want, so check what their options are.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
some insurance companies will replace the bike that was stolen by paying a bike store directly. Others will give you the funds and you can do what ever you wish with it. i am a big fan of getting the best you can with the money you have rather than two el cheapos than dont inspire.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
When my trek hardtail got nicked my insurance company requested a reciept of purchase, which I had.
I scanned it and emailed it to them right away.
The insurance company also requested a police event number before they could proceed with the claim, which I already had from lodging it with the cops that morning.

They then requested I get three quotes for the same bike from different retailers. Which I did over the phone about 20 minutes later and got quotes faxed to me.
(Because there was only one Trek dealer in Wollongong the insurance company insisted I get two more quotes from other retailers for the equivalent bike in other brands so I got a quote on a Giant hardtail and a Cannondale. They all came in at $1,500 bang on).

The insurance company called me same day and said it was approved and asked me which retailer did I want the cheque made to / which of the three bikes did I want to buy as a replacement.
I nominated Bike Hub because I liked the Trek best.
They made the cheque for $1,500 out to the Wollongong Bike Hub (Trek Dealer) and posted it to me that afternoon.
I called the LBS and ordered the bike which they got sent in from Syd right away.
By the end of the week I was riding my new bike. Boom!

That was with Vero insurance. Quick and easy.

Another cool thing they did was charged my excess of $100 as two $50 debits over the next two fortnights so I didn't have to pay it up front.

Last edited:

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
liteville all the way
Trek 9.9 SSL or Giant Anthem X Advanced SL0 2012 or something similar.

but now my mum doesn't want to claim it under insurance in case it is relocated in like a few months, as then we will have to return my new bike and also have to pay the excess and also have an increased insurance policy next year around fukin bulllshit

scblack

Leucocholic

but now my mum doesn't want to claim it under insurance in case it is relocated in like a few months, as then we will have to return my new bike and also have to pay the excess and also have an increased insurance policy next year around fukin bulllshit
So she's willing to fork out thousands to replace your bike, all because you "may" have to end up paying an excess? Makes no sense.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i think he was saying they are insured for 7,800... but now mummy dearest doesn't want to claim.

insurance doesn't work that way anyway, if they pay out and the bike is found.. it's now their sick pushy to do as they wish with. (maybe a company vehicle, or auction off to recoup costs)

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
So she's willing to fork out thousands to replace your bike, all because you "may" have to end up paying an excess? Makes no sense.
Yep. no logic is found in your Mother's logic. No offense.

BTW, if the bike is found, you don't have to return it. Do you? I never heard of that before. Maybe with diamonds, or something that won't depreciate, but what happens if you get your bike back and it's all beat up and cracked frame and half the parts are missing? Sounds like bunkus. Did your Mum make this up?

I'd like to see the insurance policy PDS where it states you have to return your bike.
also, if you did return your bike in six months it will be second hand and the dealer won't want it back because they will never be abvle to refund the insuarnce provider and get their money back on a second hand bike.

I reckon your Mum's pulling out some bollocks. Sorry.

I sold Home and Contents for six years, 8 hours a day quoting policy and getting questioned about scenarios. In six years of claims processing I never once heard of a client havng to return any goods. Not once.

Last edited:

Quency

Likes Dirt

i would take a good hard look at the insurance policy. i know of some bikes being recovered after the insurance claim was processed and new bike purchased with none of those returning hassles.
Police took ownership of the bike when they recover it, and it was offered to original owner that they could buy it back off the police. hence no impact on the insurance claim. police then sell at auction if you dont buy it back. Or somethign like that. exact details may differ to word of mouth re-telling of the story.

obviously, policies will differ from company to company, so grab the policy and read the fine print.

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
will talk it over with my mum but I do want another bike that is very similar in specs to my stolen bike.

It is just so annoying as I had completed the bike to about 90% of how I wanted it, soooo frustrating.

also lead suspects that the unit complex thinks who it is, is this new battler of a woman who is only renting out a garage space to store some of her shit, she moved her stuff into storage on friday (BTW wasnt made aware of this, otherwise wouldve been a bit more suspect and maybe moved bike) and saturday night to sunday morning bike is stolen hmmmm :mad2:

cannot wait to confront lady

also any suggestions on what bike I should look at getting?

Last edited:

jean5614

Likes Dirt
I had three bikes stolen from my garage a few years ago. They were valued and I got three replacement bikes. With some negotiation I chose the bikes that I would get. The police found one bike, but couldn't release it as I had had a pay-out on it. So I called the insurance company and made them an offer and was reunited with the bike. The offer I made was over a thousand dollars less than what they had payed out to me , but it saved them the hassle of auctioning it. This is the usual process.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

Your mum is being an ass. If she won't make the claim, just start using her car.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
Alright so I have narrowed down my choice of bikes to 2 bikes

Merida 96 3000D Carbon 2011 Large with Sram XX1, Mavic Crossmark SLR rims, Onza Canis tyres, Sram XO brakes, ESI Chunky Grips, XTR pedals

or

Giant Anthem X Advanced SL0 2012 Large with Sram XX1, XTR Rims, Schwalbe Racing Ralph tyres, XTR brakes (eventually XO brakes), ESI Chunky grips XTR pedals

now the bike will be used for XC and do some 24hr races, etc

What would be the better bike to get, that I could get down to the lightest possible weight?

does the Merida use a BB30 format?

quiggs

Likes Dirt
they will be both brand new bikes Merida from TBSM and Anthem somewhere in VIC
Alright so I have narrowed down my choice of bikes to 2 bikes

Merida 96 3000D Carbon 2011 Large with Sram XX1, Mavic Crossmark SLR rims, Onza Canis tyres, Sram XO brakes, ESI Chunky Grips, XTR pedals

or

Giant Anthem X Advanced SL0 2012 Large with Sram XX1, XTR Rims, Schwalbe Racing Ralph tyres, XTR brakes (eventually XO brakes), ESI Chunky grips XTR pedals

now the bike will be used for XC and do some 24hr races, etc

What would be the better bike to get, that I could get down to the lightest possible weight?

does the Merida use a BB30 format?
Do some research over at
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/

They will be able to help you out with saving a few grams at the expense of thousands of dollars! :cheer2:

Last edited: