New bike... Full stop

GazzaPops

Likes Bikes
Your new bike should most certainly be supplied with basic manual at the very least. The manual will contain essential safety instructions an basic maintenance information as a minimum. I'm no legal expert but I'm fairly certain that all consumer goods, especially one as complex as a bicycle, needs to have a manual.

Ivan

Eats Squid
The only competitive advantage Local Bike Stores have to compete with online retailers is their level of service.

This shop doesn't seem to understand this. You can buy a nice Canyon or YT for $4k

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Keep tyres and shocks pumped up, lube chain. Either read this fine forum until it hurts to learn how to maintain this nice new bike, or make use of a bike shops workshop on a regular basis. YouTube is chock full of how to's as well.

Minlak

custom titis
So the wife picked up my new bike off layby today, a 2016 Norco Sight A7.1.
That's all she got, no manual, no advice, nothing... Is this the norm when dumping over 4k on a new bike ?
Yep 6-8 weeks to go back for a free check up and tweek.
The only competitive advantage Local Bike Stores have to compete with online retailers is their level of service.

This shop doesn't seem to understand this. You can buy a nice Canyon or YT for $4k
OP asked if he should have got a manual and did not bag out the shop at all. They are doing a free check up in 6-8 weeks and we don't even know what questions were asked or other help offered? I personally dont put any value in the manual and don't care if I get one or not. It is quite possible as the manuals are pretty stock standard bullshit no one reads or gets use of the shop may have just forgotten to pass it along. Maybe the shop was so busy making sure the customer was happy with the bike? Maybe the bike doesn't even come from the manufacturer with a booklet?

Maybe what really is going on here is the shop was closed and the OP thought you know what I don't want to look like a dumbass and ask for a manual when there is none and I know the guys on rotorburn are so helpful maybe they will let me know if I should go to the shop and ask for the manual.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
Ivan's quote is spot on,
i'm still very new to this but my wife and i really enjoy it, to the point where we have a hardtail and DS bike each now, all came with manuals, stickers, freebies like bottle cages, chain stay guards etc. to be fair our LBS has been very good with looking after us on each sale.

It might be the guy who handed over the bike to your wife didn't know they came with a bag of propaganda, or maybe they expect you to drop by looking for set up advice and will get you to fill out the warranty info and lodge it then, i had to with my zesty, but whatever the reason at the very least you should have received the warranty information, i'd be making a point of asking for that, otherwise the owners guide is only of interest at resale time.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I bought a second hand frame, forks and cranks on here from Zaf and they all came with manuals and a bag of various bits and pieces. You should buy off him next time.

Seriously though, I kinda like getting manuals and reading through them but there's nothing in them you can't find online.

The one thing you need to be on top of is spare parts that you may need in the future. Probably not relevant for a new bike with OEM parts but my mate bought some Mavic Crossmax wheels from an LBS and they fitted them for him (even though he declined the offer) and sent him on his way without all the axle adapters front and back. That shit you need.

teK--

Eats Squid
So the wife picked up my new bike off layby today, a 2016 Norco Sight A7.1.
That's all she got, no manual, no advice, nothing... Is this the norm when dumping over 4k on a new bike ?
If it was 99Bikes then yeah I'd say that's normal.

Strange though that you didn't even get a bag with all the spare parts, fork tokens, derailleur hanger, reflectors etc.

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
I bought my last bike new (2014) and although I received the manual for the bike, shock and fork, the dudes in the shop were so shit to deal with, after they took my money but before I took delivery, that I didn't even go back for my free servicing. I would have been way happier to receive none the extras and gained a store I could happily deal with.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
realy, you surley get some written info from Rockshox when you buy a set of Pikes, maybe even some bottomless tokens in the box. But a full bike... Zip.
If it's just the pikes you're concerned about, I bought mine retail and got the encyclopedia that comes with them. Useless, much more comprehensive info on the SRAM site, and it's all downloadable. PM me your address and I'll mail you the pike manual.

*edit: just had a quick look, there's 8 pages in English, 6 of which are full of safety warnings, the other two show how to fit the Maxle. Complete waste of paper....

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
I'd be very much surprised if there wasn't a box or bag full of sundry junk and tracts that should be with it. Get back to the shop before they throw them in the bin.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Wife has clearly forgotten the bag of bits the boys at the shop handed her. She probably put it down on the counter while succumbing to their flirtatious flattery, then walked out in a little hot flush of giggles and forgot it. So of course she would say they didn't give her anything.

jellylegs

Banned
If it was 99Bikes then yeah I'd say that's normal.

Strange though that you didn't even get a bag with all the spare parts, fork tokens, derailleur hanger, reflectors etc.
Good guess.

And yes, it's official, you get zip...

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
hey poodle,you don't work at that shop do you........
You guessed it. I'm the fixies expert. Look for pasty skin, ridiculously skinny with pot belly, more tats than skin, and I usually.have a red saucer pierced through my bottom lip and matching tea cup in my ear lobe.

stirk

Burner
If the bike didn't come with a manual does that mean you won't be able to do a manual on it?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
might be a Specialized thing, but when i bought mine they set up the base suspension pressures and rebound, setup bars, levers, seat post height etc.

also came with a manual full of torque settings, and base suspension setup; along with all product manuals and a bag full of tokens, caliper spacers and a handful of bolts... hopefully they shouldn't be attached.

my LBS is an absolute ripper though, they go above and beyond.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Sounds like poor customer service or poor communication to me.

I wrench in a bike shop. Yesterday, for example, I sold a bike to a guy just getting into riding. Like all our customers he got a generic manual that covers safety/warranty, etc, run down on the 2 free services included, a proper bike setup (including suspension run down if the bike had suspension), discussion about using gears/keeping a straight chain line, maintenance/lube-service info, a demo of how to take the front wheel off and put it back on, and a warning not to squeeze hydraulic brakes with the wheel out.

From talking with a customer for 15min about what sort of riding they do, where they plan to ride, what bike they currently have, etc, I can generally gauge what sort of information they need to know and what info would overwhelm them. If that customer doesn't want to talk though, then there's not much you can do.

From a shop's perspective, if you walked in and said I want this bike and laid $4K on the counter, I'd have to assume you know your stuff and had done your research. The information I'd give would tend to be proportionate to the amount of questions you ask from first coming in, all the way through to picking the bike up. Having said that, it wouldn't hurt for the staff to ask you if there was anything you wanted to ask them.

Another example might be that a $4K bike might come with a dropper post, which I'll bleed when building the bike. I'm not going to give you an open bottle of hydraulic fluid and syringes if you haven't expressed that you do your own bleeds and would like them. A car dealership wouldn't give you a manual on bleeding the disc brakes of your new car, but if you were that way inclined, you could always look it up or buy the tools and service manual yourself.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
My specialized came with manuals, DVD, tokens, tubes they'd removed for the tubeless setup, crappy plastic pedals as I'd had flats fitted, clamps etc.

My merida road bike (from 99bikes) came with 2 manuals, reflectors, spare bolts, frame covers for if I change to di2 for the internal routing, bike fit paperwork and between 50-75% off the accessories and clothing I also bought.