New Bike Park for Sydney - Glenworth Valley

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They are offering discounted day passes and packs containing hats etc - dependent upon how much you fund them. Fund over $100 you go in the draw to win a $10,000 Pivot. So no, they aren't just offering frothy Vibes lol

I got no problem with them trying to raise funds this way. Be happy we may actually getting a "world class" mountain bike park with 7 days a week shuttles near Sydney.
If it was a club or other form of not profit (eg national parks) asking for cash to improve their trail network, sure I dig that kind of community involvement. Private enterprise? That's not something I get behind. I don't know all the details about this incident so wouldn't want to throw out the hate. That does sound like a juicy bike! I hope their endeavours go well and bring them and others much joy.

Fool-al should've formed a charity with DGR status.

Skywalker

Likes Dirt
If it was a club or other form of not profit (eg national parks) asking for cash to improve their trail network, sure I dig that kind of community involvement. Private enterprise? That's not something I get behind. I don't know all the details about this incident so wouldn't want to throw out the hate. That does sound like a juicy bike! I hope their endeavours go well and bring them and others much joy.

I do see where you are coming from but sometimes businesses do need a kick start, and if the mtb community are on board I think this is a great way of doing it. Just got to have a bit of faith!

Sydney is in need of a commercial style mountain bike park IMO which offers everything in one place. Bonus points for chair lift if it comes to fruition.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
By pivotal, do the they mean "make or break time"
I am keen to see this take off, but if they are in real financial trouble now, before they are even up and running, I can't see it having the legs to survive
I would love to go out on my own and start my own business too, maybe I should start a go fund me page also..seems to be the thing to do these days!

MARKL

Eats Squid
Wouldn't change the lack of details, who is Glenworth Valley Bike Park? I know Synergy are part of it, 'Adrian has walked every meter...' are there other partners? Who are their backers? How are they expecting to make money out of this model?

Synergy have built some great bits of trail but this is a massive step up and will need a massive step up in their capacity to plan, cash flow and deliver.

Skywalker

Likes Dirt
I would love to go out on my own and start my own business too, maybe I should start a go fund me page also..seems to be the thing to do these days!
That's what it's there for, so I say go for it!

For me, being a bit more optimistic then some, I doubt they are in financial trouble and once stage one is in place I believe the Sydney mtb community will come in droves. There already has been a great response on the gogetfunding site will people already funding over $5000 (still a long way to $750,000 but ).

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Who’s watched The Moment Movie?

The naysayers sound like Trek & Specialized in the 80’s

Everything has a beginning....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
most businesses and enterprises start out small, and reinvest as cashflow starts to come in..can't see how shooting for the moon and hoping that all the stars will align is a good business model, lots of room for failure
do they have the capital to get this thing up and running, or are they simply relying on generous donations from the narrower community to get a start..if its the latter, I wish them the best of luck, but my gut tells me it will be dead in the water without proper management in no time

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Wouldn't change the lack of details, who is Glenworth Valley Bike Park? I know Synergy are part of it, 'Adrian has walked every meter...' are there other partners? Who are their backers? How are they expecting to make money out of this model?

Synergy have built some great bits of trail but this is a massive step up and will need a massive step up in their capacity to plan, cash flow and deliver.
These are all legitimate questions, if you're interested in supporting the park then why not send them an email with your questions and maybe they can allay your concerns.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Fyre festival anyone?

It’s my money they’re begging for, I’ll be as cynical as I want.

Build the park, cut the bullshit bro speak marketing wank and I’ll pay for a pass and come ride.

madstace

Likes Dirt
So, while I see no issue with this style of startup fundraising generally, I do see a couple of concerns with this one.

Unlike Kickstarter, this platform doesn't appear to have any onus on them to deliver. It is, as they say, just a donation. Sure there's levels of rewards, but there's the potential you'll have a pass to a park that doesn't open. The other thing is, while stickers are cool, getting grown adults to pay for them as part of this campaign is a bit weak. I get the mudguards, maybe it should be one per pass?

Also, while I like the idea of a chairlift, surely they need to be realistic that this isn't achievable on day 1, especially just on punter investment alone.

Skywalker

Likes Dirt
Also, while I like the idea of a chairlift, surely they need to be realistic that this isn't achievable on day 1, especially just on punter investment alone.
They said stage one will be a full time shuttle service then once the park is in full swing then they anticipate to have a chair lift.

MARKL

Eats Squid
These are all legitimate questions, if you're interested in supporting the park then why not send them an email with your questions and maybe they can allay your concerns.
Happy to keep money in my pocket, but if they want to get more 'investors' they probably need to be more forthcoming with info

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm wanting to Ostrich it and bury my head in the sand with all the skepticism as I would LOOOOVEEEE to see this place up and running. I'd love a place I could go midweek for a sneaky session whenever I wanted but I too am skeptical. I can't put my finger on it but something just doesn't feel right about this. Let me be clear, I don't think there is anything dodgey going on but all the optimism in the world can't make it happen without the right management etc. Like some others have mentioned there seems to be a real dearth of information. The "glossy brochure" that is the website certainly has me rigid but it's not enough. Do folks think this is an attempt at keeping the froth going by drip feeding info etc?

Also I would've thought that given this is the biggest forum of it's kind in Australia (that I'm aware of) you would think embracing this community would be a priority. I mean how hard would it be to approach Dozer for example and maybe give him some info to share with us, maybe even a regular update thread??? Once a month or maybe every couple of months bang up some pics of whats going on, where things are at, news, give us news. Include US, the people who will be your main customers and sources of income!!!

Just sayin.