New bike shopping - rant alert

Minlak

custom titis
You want a stiff, light & strong wheel, stick to 26". A lot of people I've ridden with think that these new, low, long, slack, boost, 1m long bars and what ever else you want to add is going to make them ride like a pro at a downhill round. So many people get tricked into buying these sorts of bikes where instead they should have spent the money and time on developing better skills first.
The owner of the sports shop I used frequent as a youth called this the "Wank Factor". On Mondays he used to get all the "Wankers" come in and buy the same bat Alan Border used to hi a century on the weekend thinking they would do the same..... they rarely did :)

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Get a Specialized then get back to me when you want to change your shock.

All these new standards with minor changes all add up ... you're essentially getting a 50% better (and faster (especially on Strava)) bike than 5 years ago ..... ha! yeah right

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The world is insane. I reckon theres only 5 things you gotta look at with a bike these days:

- thru axle rear 142/148 (its fucking 5mm difference. She isn't going to notice. Girth maybe.)
- threaded bb
- head angle has to be reasonable, like <68' reasonable (i.e dont buy a 2013 71' HA dually and think its going to work as an all mountain slayer), especially if you're keen on messing with fork travel. The rest you can fine tune with offset bushings and anglesets (oh, and make sure youre frame is angleset compatible)
- it really has to fit you reach wise, with a sub 60mm stem. Because anything greater than that, even in xc, don't make no sense no more.
- a bike needs to hold a normal person size drink bottle FFS. A sneaky, unplanned one hour spin is quite possibly the greatest thing about riding a mountain bike, ever. You need to be able to fill a bottle and go, and not ass about with a backpack.
This! Where can I get this frame? I am currently looking at a GT sensor and running a 150mm fork to make it a bit beefier. I think it ticks most of those boxes. There is also heaps of room for a small frame bag to carry some stuff.
I start to think I can live with out a bottle cage for a bike that rides well. On my last ride I forgot my water and I thought of giving up an going home. But then it started raining so I went into full full survival mode, well almost, and used a plastic bag that was in my car and my helmet to catch some rain water dripping down from a tree. It took ages to get a decent mouth full of water, so yeah a water bottle cage and bringing water is still a must.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
We have had this one before. Most of this stuff is just marketing until the next real innovation hits .
people are notoriously bad at predicting the future but i will have a go = electronic suspension changes and tiny powerful ebike batteries.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I see nobody has made it to hating on:
- sales assistants that know nothing about their products
- Sales assistants who care more about moving the I'll fitting heap of shit from the showroom than selling the right bike.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I've been looking around at potential new bikes and there's a few things giving me the screaming shits:

Boost spacing - what a total load of toss. Yeah its 10% stiffer in theory but then why spec bikes with 28 spoke factory wheels. If you keep the old non-boost spacing and add 4 extra spokes (eg 32h) you get a guaranteed 14.3% stiffer wheel and its less likely to go out of true if you break a spoke, your rims last longer before the spoke holes crack etc etc etc. All things being equal, a non-boost 32h wheel will be stiffer than a 28h boost wheel.

Also, the wider axle spacing will be flexier unless you use more material. Spread two stools holding a plank further apart and you get the idea.

If you're going to render all the old shit obsolete, why not do something smart like dish-less wheels, asymmetrical rear ends etc.?

Trunion shocks
- the best possible shock action is achieved when the flexing forces on the frame, pivots and all the other mounting hardware don't get transferred to the shock. Shocks aren't designed to handle any side loading (eg. there are no "bushings" inside a shock like a fork). A spherical mount on either end is the best way to go, but instead of heading down that path, we get the "genius" of a trunion mount, where any flex in the frame gets transferred through the big beefy rocker into the shock. Look forward to the trunion mounted shock having a much shorter life span than a non-trunion shock and a shittier suspension action thanks to the binding.

End of rant (and apologies to the rant averse).
I can't believe you're ranting about anything!! You're getting a new bike!!!!! :p

SummitFever

Eats Squid
- Sales assistants who care more about moving the I'll fitting heap of shit from the showroom than selling the right bike.
We might use up all the words on the interwebs if we get into this.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
ie just seen the SC highball HT frame comes with 3 bottle mounts - what a F&^%ing revelation - it does come in eggplant though -which is a dirty purple -or the clour blood goes are it startes to go off. PS i hate boost -

BKMad

Likes Dirt
While we're hating on new stuff, how annoying is internal routing for brake lines. Gear cables I can cope with, but seriously, what is the advantage apart from looks. I just bought a new frame and now have to figure out how to thread the fvcking brake line through the frame while trying not to spill brake fluid everywhere. At least its only mineral oil and not dot 4.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
yeah but the distro said this is the latest besterest thing ever!

Also Giant is an australian company FYI, so you should buy one of them and keep money in aus (seriously, a bike shop guy has told me this recently. I was picking up some lube ffs, not after opinions about my scout, and why a giant is a superior bike)

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seeing as the bike industry is so big on change, perhaps give us dropper posts that work (as Bikeyoke have done) and forks that don’t creak! Is that too much to ask FFS?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Does it really matter so much when its a whole new bike? If you already have a fleet of bikes all setup to certain standards, sure, I can see the problem. But if you're just getting a new toy off the shelf...

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yes it matters. It’s stupid. And it stops upgrade creep, so you can’t just upgrade frame, when everything else is still good, because dits boost now so you need cranks, wheel, and no front mech mount so time for new drivetrain aswell. God damnit.

So rather than getting an awesome boutique frame for around 3 grand and transfering old parts that are still good, you need 7 grand for frame and same level of quality. Its shit.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Yes it matters. It’s stupid. And it stops upgrade creep, so you can’t just upgrade frame, when everything else is still good, because dits boost now so you need cranks, wheel, and no front mech mount so time for new drivetrain aswell. God damnit.

So rather than getting an awesome boutique frame for around 3 grand and transfering old parts that are still good, you need 7 grand for frame and same level of quality. Its shit.
I actually feel glad I can't afford a new bike now.