New bike time - suggestions?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Put us out of our misery !

I am having an internal fight about why I do not need to swap my sweet riding 2.8kg carbon Deviate for a 4kg alu P-Train that is the price of 2 frames... but that green o_O

View attachment 386074
DO IT. The entire forum endorses and encourages this decision.

Also, how fucked out are the prices (rhetorical question, their website made me excited then very excited then scared and sad. It was a journey)

Last edited:

geekman

Squid
Is there any bike we haven't suggested? :D
Could get 2 Marin Alpine XR's for the price of some of these bikes suggested :p Top notch frame/suspension but definitely corners were cut with the brakes, rims, dropper and hubs to meet the price point. Check out what Mark Matthews does on his on IG

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With modern bikes,it's pretty hard to buy a bad bike. A lot of consumers get sucked in by the marketing hype, what they see others riding and unsolicited info from disinterested parties.
I think someone already posted to work out what you want to ride, how your ride, your riding ambitions and budget.
Well...fark all that. Just buy what makes you feel best at the trail head and learn how to ride it later.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
You're going to get as many opinions on this as you did on bike options, but my main advice would be work out where you can narrow the list down a bit... Alu/Carbon? 27/mullet/29? Trendy high pivot? Full-size water bottle? Dual crown compatible? Coil shock preference or air? etc etc

Honestly, just about any bike in the 150-170mm range these days is remarkably versatile compared to the Norco Shores and VP Frees of old. So the type of riding consideration is almost secondary to me other than to set the ball park for travel/geo/genre.
Fair enough and you are right that I am not likely to notice anything massively different between most options. For me at the moment preference is Carbon/29/coil - not super fussed on high pivot but will go one if the option is right.

Put us out of our misery !
I would if I was just after a trail bike as that thing is stunning! I wish it had more travel as 145 is just not enough for what I want.

Well...fark all that. Just buy what makes you feel best at the trail head and learn how to ride it later.
True, still with a forum like this where there is a chance someone has owned/ridden one of the options it always pays to ask the question

xero

Supersports
Buy all the bikes!!! Great short list.

I’ve got a Transition Sentinel and if I was looking for something bigger, a Spire would be top of my list. Having said that, @moorey ’s horror story re wait times is somewhat related to Transition… so, maybe wait times will push out more than you expect for that one.
Hmmm.. that @moorey chap throwing us under the bus? .... unfortunately , indecision is rough theses days! On / Off / On .. While we feel everyones pain ( especially young @moorey ) There are so many factors beyond all of our control.

xero

Supersports
Yes the Forbidden does look good and has been of interest from when Buchanan was smashing his Druid.

I had read the Spire and Firebird ride well for their sizes and retaining good downhill performance without being complete tanks to ride uphill.

Not really across that brand but will give it a look - thanks for the suggestion.

I won't lie the idea of being able to turn one into more of a park bike with some dual crowns is mighty tempting and get two bikes out of one. Someone with a Spire is doing just that this week at Cannonball and pretty sure I saw the same with a Forbidden on their Insta feed as well.
Yeah .. We decided to build a Super Spire !

xero

Supersports
Yep and being here in Aus means stock is not a massive priority for most brands at the best of times....
I wouldn't really say that's the case ( for us anyway ) - Due to lack of parts / supply constraints / raw materials / delays etc .. Its not that AU is not a priority ... It's just more so, productions are being shared pretty equally and unfortunately , everyone looses some units to share around fairly.

moorey

call me Mia
Hmmm.. that @moorey chap throwing us under the bus? .... unfortunately , indecision is rough theses days! On / Off / On .. While we feel everyones pain ( especially young @moorey ) There are so many factors beyond all of our control.
Throwing you under the bus? Lol. I've mentioned to a couple of people who know that I'm waiting on a Scout, that I had hoped/expected my frame before now, but its now looking like another 8-12 months.
If you think discussing wait times on bikes is throwing you under the bus, you're being a bit precious. Not having this conversation here, dude.