New bike time - suggestions?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
One HSP bike is excellent.
Two HSP bikes is moah bettar! :D
I hear all the cool kids have 2 HSP's :p

The Deviate and Actofive would be too alike, if I made a decision to buy, sadly the Deviate would have to go.

That's not decision I would make at this time, the Deviate is so smooth and plush... the regret would eat me alive.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
@Dangals I’m enjoying the Kavenz. It was that or the Saturn. Kavenz worked out cheaper for me being in NZ. I’ve had some big spills so it’s German alloy over China / Vietnam carbon that’s 2k extra everytime.

goes good, although anything would compared to a single pivot. Front triangle Sizing is up to the consumer, but angles and seatstay / chainstay sizes are fixed. In very dusty condition the idler squeaks a lot. Running wax chain lube (instead of finish line / rock n roll etc) remedies this.
I don’t want to have to deal with warranty hence avoiding a yeti, santacruz etc. build me something that will give 3-5 of years of abuse and I’ll buy another one, I dont want to send my cracked frame away every 18 months. Fuck the lifetime warranty, none of this shit retains any standards after 2 years anyway.

xero

Supersports
I know at worst I can get a Spire around June/July directly through Supersports (unless they have been pushed back further) as I put my name down for one with Rod from his stock before xmas but might be able to get one through a dealer before that.
Is yours XT Huck ? - if so, still on track so far.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Is yours XT Huck ? - if so, still on track so far.
Yes that was me, glad to hear things haven't changed for the worse there.

@Dangals I’m enjoying the Kavenz. It was that or the Saturn. Kavenz worked out cheaper for me being in NZ. I’ve had some big spills so it’s German alloy over China / Vietnam carbon that’s 2k extra everytime.

goes good, although anything would compared to a single pivot. Front triangle Sizing is up to the consumer, but angles and seatstay / chainstay sizes are fixed. In very dusty condition the idler squeaks a lot. Running wax chain lube (instead of finish line / rock n roll etc) remedies this.
I don’t want to have to deal with warranty hence avoiding a yeti, santacruz etc. build me something that will give 3-5 of years of abuse and I’ll buy another one, I dont want to send my cracked frame away every 18 months. Fuck the lifetime warranty, none of this shit retains any standards after 2 years anyway.
Thanks for that - this is what I was hoping to hear with suggestions. Some of the reviews mention whilst it handles chunk really well it is not great at getting airborne but certain I have seen plenty of clips of you getting sendy. What is your thoughts on that side of things?

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Thanks for that - this is what I was hoping to hear with suggestions. Some of the reviews mention whilst it handles chunk really well it is not great at getting airborne but certain I have seen plenty of clips of you getting sendy. What is your thoughts on that side of things?
I think that they’d rather blame the bike than admit that there’s another white dude that can’t jump.

If you hit it fast enough you’ll jump.
I ran it 27.5 on the rear but have since switched to 29. Speed is king and the extra grip is nice, however the downside for me has been buzzing the nutsac on the steeps. It’s been a really great bike so far, I’ve got along well with the swap from 27.5-29 and the fsr rear end works well.
Delivery time can vary, my size just happened to be getting built so it was 2 months from payment to arrival.
I did over 6k of elevation and 200+km during Christmas to mid Jan and apart from the squeaky idler I had no issues.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Well. Shit. Letting the cat out of the bag. Collecting parts for a Bird Aether 9C. Got all the bits, Bird has some discount on frames in stock, winning. Go to get shipping costs. No option for us. Flick email. No longer shipping to Aus too pricey. Well fark. Will Google freight forwarders in the morning but means paying VAT.

Back to the drawing board. Propain Hugene looks ok but lots of reviews say small bump no good. Revel Rascal looks ok but don’t love the colours. Want to use the parts I have may need to get a frame and then get parts. Shakes fist at cloud.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Well. Shit. Letting the cat out of the bag. Collecting parts for a Bird Aether 9C. Got all the bits, Bird has some discount on frames in stock, winning. Go to get shipping costs. No option for us. Flick email. No longer shipping to Aus too pricey. Well fark. Will Google freight forwarders in the morning but means paying VAT.

Back to the drawing board. Propain Hugene looks ok but lots of reviews say small bump no good. Revel Rascal looks ok but don’t love the colours. Want to use the parts I have may need to get a frame and then get parts. Shakes fist at cloud.
What a shitshow. Fly over there and bring it back in your hand luggage.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt

How about one of these. Plenty of YT videos of Jeff Lenosky doing all kinds of crazy stuff on his. (I know now he is not your average endurobro, but still...)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Some bloke that used to post 24/7 then vanished but claims he ordered a Stanton.
Expecting Zwift to pop up on his Strava feed anytime soon, he's been doing all the prep, making his bed so to speak... every ride is in torrential rain, 50kph winds and fog so thick you cant even see the ground :)

Oh yeah, expect shaven legs when @moorey gets back too, the driven hail from a few days ago blasted the hair off.

Last edited: