New bike time

dan76n

Likes Bikes
Hi all,
My b'day is coming up so have decided its time for a new trail bike.
I've set a budget of 4k and have so far found the below two options take my fancy.
Marin Rift Zone Carbon 2 Currently on sale $3,699: https://www.bikesonline.com.au/marin-rift-zone-29-carbon-2
Giant Trance X Advance Pro 2 Currently on sale $3,999: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/trance-x-advanced-pro-29-2
I like the Giant but am a little hesitant to go for a bike with Carbon fibre rims as I have a few dents in my alloy rims which I'm concerned would be cracks if I had carbon and I don't have an unlimited budget to replace them.
Any thoughts on the above options or any other suggestions at this price point?

teK--

Eats Squid
Get the Giant and add a rim insertst least in the back. Maybe front too if you are a bigger fella

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Specialized are doing some great deals (40% off) plus a $150 voucher.

Stumpjumper Comp Alloy (140/130) and Stumpjumper Evo Comp Alloy (160/150) for $3,499

The new Canyon Neuron has reviewed really well

Canyon Neuron 6 for $3,129 + $200 delivery

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Carbon fibre rims
I have 2 sets of Giant carbon rims, TRC 30 mmID and XRC 25 mm ID. Both for over 4 years. Had Giant carbon on an Anthem 2015-2017. Never a problem with any of them. I am not too heavy, 72 kgs kitted up. Trail bike weighs about 14 kilos. They have improved since 2018 when Giant started making the wheels in their factories. They have a lot of experience with carbon.

dan76n

Likes Bikes
Specialized are doing some great deals (40% off) plus a $150 voucher.

Stumpjumper Comp Alloy (140/130) and Stumpjumper Evo Comp Alloy (160/150) for $3,499

The new Canyon Neuron has reviewed really well

Canyon Neuron 6 for $3,129 + $200 delivery

I've not looked at Specialized as they tend to be a bit pricey but those prices are enticing. The Comp is out of stock in my size but the Evo comp isn't so I might go have a look at one. Does anyone happen to ride the EVO and if so how does it climb? My old man joints like the idea of the extra travel for descending.

Just looking at the Canyon and the Neuron 7 is also on sale for $3579 or even the Neuron CF 8 at $4029.

Jabubu

I've not looked at Specialized as they tend to be a bit pricey but those prices are enticing. The Comp is out of stock in my size but the Evo comp isn't so I might go have a look at one. Does anyone happen to ride the EVO and if so how does it climb? My old man joints like the idea of the extra travel for descending.

Just looking at the Canyon and the Neuron 7 is also on sale for $3579 or even the Neuron CF 8 at $4029.
The Neuron CF 8 is great value but has internal headset routing, the alu models don't.

Jabubu

I haven't ridden the Stumpie Evo but apparently it climbs ok, in other words it's not terrible and gets the job done. But for everything else it's fantastic.

dan76n

Likes Bikes
I sent Canyon an email to check if their sale will still be running when the Neuron 7 will be back in stock for my size and received the below response which is a little odd.
Please be informed that we do not have information on when the on going sales will be ended. Kindly subscribe to our Newsletter for notifications regarding sales, events, and new product launches.

Jabubu

I sent Canyon an email to check if their sale will still be running when the Neuron 7 will be back in stock for my size and received the below response which is a little odd.
Please be informed that we do not have information on when the on going sales will be ended. Kindly subscribe to our Newsletter for notifications regarding sales, events, and new product launches.
I think everyone's sales will be stretching into the second half of 2024 - they just don't want to admit it.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Another vote for the Trance. I’ve got about 8 or 9 years on Giant carbon rims on an Anthem and the current Trance. To be fair I’m not throwing the bikes through rock gardens full tilt, but they’ve had their fair share of hits and zero issues.

The alloy rims on the Orange I dented quite quickly…