- etc.......

nathanm

Eats Squid
a.............

1. Frame
2. Wheels
3. Seat
4. add additional sarcastic items.

However for serious replies we must first know what type of riding you plan on doing.

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
New bike soon, but what are the essentials now;

- lightwieght
- durable/stiff
- suspension depth
- wheels = light or strong
- groupset or mix
- dropper post
- etc.......
a.............

1. Frame
2. Wheels
3. Seat
4. add additional sarcastic items.

However for serious replies we must first know what type of riding you plan on doing.
im pretty sure he mentioned wheels :p

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
In all seriousness, when looking at a new bike, the first thing is to make the right decision about the type of bike you need eg hardtail, duallie, AM duallie etc.

When looking at parts/value, assuming the bike rides well for you and is available in the right size, judge the value of the bike on parts in the order of price to replace, and weight contributed. So:

Frame then fork, wheels, crankset, shifters, derailleurs, cockpit, contact points, etc etc.

One thing that irritates me about the way bikes are specced is that the rear derailleur is usually up-specced, sometimes 2 or 3 levels above the rest of the parts. This makes no appreciable improvement to performance and is money better spent elsewhere. Shifters and cables make a bigger difference. Look at the bike as a whole and don't be fooled by little bits of bling.

Luck,

CT

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Buy a bike from the heart, just buy whatever takes your fancy regardless of brand, type etc.

Disclaimer: Obviously not a road bike for DH...

It really depends on budget? somethings will be hard to find on lower end bikes, if you have the dollars, the skies the limit.

nismo

Likes Dirt
The correct answer is....

1) Figure out what type of riding you want to do....
2) figure out your price range
3) add 20% to whatever your max budget is
4) spend that amount on the type of bike you wanted.

think ahead, and dont go cheap (like i did) you will regret it if your into riding

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Edit: Deleting what i wrote as i thought you were a noob. Will leave this in:

Most importantly: Ride it at least once a week. Wear stuff out and replace it with better stuff. Learn to do maintenance by yourself by researching this and other forums. Start a secret bank account from your wife so you can buy bike bits without her knowledge, and get the stuff posted to your work. When you install the new components, tell her you are fixing or cleaning the bike.....

This is all I know.

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most importantly: Ride it at least once a week. Wear stuff out and replace it with better stuff. Learn to do maintenance by yourself by researching this and other forums. Start a secret bank account from your wife so you can buy bike bits without her knowledge, and get the stuff posted to your work. When you install the new components, tell her you are fixing or cleaning the bike.....

This is all I know.
Listen to what this man is saying, very good advice.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Edit: Deleting what i wrote as i thought you were a noob. Will leave this in:

This is all I know.
this involvels great levels of danger and could result in devorce if you do it right, tread lightly

Listen to what this man is saying, very good advice.
+1