New Camera ?

haroboy182

Likes Dirt
Hey all,

I have been interested in photography for a few years now, but only ever owning automatic compacts, which still take really sweet pictures without a doubt, But im really keen for somthing new to mess around on like a manual digital SLR, I dont really know much about them though, for those of you who are also into photography, would any of you have recommendations on a camera ?.. Im not after anything crazily exspensive but yeah some help would be much appreciated.

Here are some pictures I have recently taken on my small Lumix FS-42.

Attachments

niftydog

Likes Dirt
No expert here, but I suggest you might consider something that bridges the gap between a point and shoot and a DSLR - like a Canon G10 or G11. I have a G10 and it is a clever bit of kit that easily churns out fantastic photos. It's not too expensive or big and you don't need a degree in photography to get the best out of it.

mattSTI02

Likes Dirt
hey guys
Just spoke to my old man is a pro photographer and he swears by putting your money into good optics. Better camera bodies can be bought later dependent on what your shooting. He uses a nikon d3 and several d300s now and swears by them due to their focusing systems and lens quality.
Big dads review found pentax to be a bit unreliable, top of the range cannon had some issues and he used konica but went back to nikon for reliability..he is burning through 3000 shots a session and has had no issues
Try to haggle a better lens package that is his advice

I have seen camera and twin lens kits from $700+ for D3000 etc

One package comes with the 18-55mm vr lens and a tamron 70-300mm...

However pay an extra $100 and get the package which includes the 55-200mm nikkor lens it is so much better than the tamron. Hope this helps.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
...putting your money into good optics...
Certainly a good philosophy but when the OP only has a budget of 600-700 dollars, it kinda restricts your lens range to kit lenses and third-party amature products.

Professionals typically side with Canon and Nikon, not only because of their respective reputations in the industry, but because of the range of gear available to respective users. Never heard of reliability issues with Pentax but they do lack a 'pro-grade' SLR which sets them back from Nikon, Canon etc.

Canon, more often than not edge out Nikon, simply because prices are on the whole, lower, and their range (especially in terms of primes etc), is greater.

Back on topic, for what you've requested, you're limited to either entry level/second hand SLRs, or high-end compacts like the Canon G11 or the SX10 etc. I'd have a shop around but you'll typically find the Canons to have the best 'bang for buck' at the price point (1000D/450D etc).

I think from the photos you've posted you'd certainly do an SLR justice. Keep it up man!

mattSTI02

Likes Dirt
Certainly a good philosophy but when the OP only has a budget of 600-700 dollars, it kinda restricts your lens range to kit lenses and third-party amature products.
Maybe its worth him saving that extra couple of hundred??..its haroboy182's call but i'd save more and get something slightly better and more versatile.
Yeah he said he has had some issues with Pentax in the past when he was shooting weddings and I have no reason to doubt him.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe its worth him saving that extra couple of hundred??..its haroboy182's call but i'd save more and get something slightly better and more versatile.
Yeah he said he has had some issues with Pentax in the past when he was shooting weddings and I have no reason to doubt him.
That's still not exactly going to give him top quality glass mate, I was trying to decide between 2 models of a lens atm and I'm having to compromise and get the lesser of the two - which is still $1500. I bought my first L series lens only a few weeks ago and that was $1400.

(Hoping you see my point, point being even an extra couple hundred on top of $600 - $700 isn't going to get him "quality glass")

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Stretching to $1500 will get you a new, Australian-spec Nikon D90 plus your associated memory cards, camera bags etc. Kit lenses are typically the 18-55VR + 55-200VR, or the 18-105mm VR which all have great optics (for kit level) and image stabilization. $1000 would get you the same set up, without the Aus warranty though, from the likes of the links Alec posted above.

There is nothing really wrong with second hand and while it does give you 'better' stuff cheaper, you're investing into what is essentially 'old-tech' in addition to any issues the particular item may have. The Nikon D90 is a current model camera (not due for any update for some time too), has all the features found in a 'pro' camera in addition to a much more professional lay out (as opposed to the likes of the D3000/D5000 which are simiplified for amateur use. I own a D300S and on the odd occation, a D3, and it's great to be able to have familiar controls and functions thoughout, and the D90 is no different. Lens compatibility is alot better also since the D90 is able to use mid-range 'AF' lenses (something cheaper Nikons cannot do due to the lack of an AF-drive motor).

I used to own one and it really was a fantastic camera. Spending that little extra over a lower model means you have more to grow into, yet, it still combines scene modes and the likes to help someone who is new to using an SLR camera.

Don't fully dismiss Pentax though. Their entry-level cameras are suprisingly feature-packed and even in the high-end consumer market, feature things like built in-stabilisation in the camera body, as well as full weather sealing; features not found in similar-spec Canon or Nikon bodies.

Last edited: