New car time!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Have you had to do the brakes yet? How many thousands was it?

I would hate to have to pay for the maintenance on a Uras or AMG G63.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk
My M2 was milliseconds from needing brakes. Cheap really. Tad over $5k.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
My M2 was milliseconds from needing brakes. Cheap really. Tad over $5k.
Yikes!

$3k for Discovery 4 SDV6 for pads and rotors. Admittedly the car weighs 2.5 tonnes and has chonky brakes to match.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yikes!

$3k for Discovery 4 SDV6 for pads and rotors. Admittedly the car weighs 2.5 tonnes and has chonky brakes to match.

Front rotors were 390 dia I think? Ish. $10k got full carbon ceramic and no need to change again so I sold the car... DCT oil change was $1k. Luckily free with the corporate service package, bloody insane really.

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
I was expecting suggestions but can't say I expected that one.

I am leaning towards the golf R but haven't seen or driven one in person yet. I'm unsure of how big the boot space is but apparently it's bigger than the CX5. Cant tow with it, which I don't, but that means no tow bar for the ebike carrier.
Have driven the Levorg and liked it. Doesn't seem as refined as the rest on the list though.
We own a 2018 Golf R 7.5… and we tow with it. We had a tow bar fitted a couple of years ago… it was expensive though at about $2000 (Lots of sensors and electronics to deal with). The only negative with our Golf R, has been the big service cost every 60 or 70 thousand kms (Can’t remember exact mileage). Brilliant performance though and great fun to drive.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We own a 2018 Golf R 7.5… and we tow with it. We had a tow bar fitted a couple of years ago… it was expensive though at about $2000 (Lots of sensors and electronics to deal with). The only negative with our Golf R, has been the big service cost every 60 or 70 thousand kms (Can’t remember exact mileage). Brilliant performance though and great fun to drive.
What's the boot space like? We had a CX5 and this will be the camp car. The numbers say it is bigger but it's super hard to tell.

Flow-Rider

Burner
About $180 for the Renault.
I just replaced the front pads after 13 years ( about 120k) the other day, rotors were still good and the pads still had some life too. The fourwheel drive brakepads I intionally installed were hard as hell, intentionally made for sand and mud use and heavy loads.

You can get brands a lot cheaper than this too.

1715398637076.png

1715398725205.png

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I just replaced the front pads after 13 years ( about 120k) the other day, rotors were still good and the pads still had some life too. The fourwheel drive brakepads I intionally installed were hard as hell, intentionally made for sand and mud use and heavy loads.

You can get brands a lot cheaper than this too.

View attachment 409284
View attachment 409285
Yeah, mine was for TRW rotors and Textar pads I think, lots of cheaper brands. Eleventy bazillion Meganes were made so you generally get about 20 different brands of rotors and pads to choose from! I don’t like to cheap out too much on critical stuff like brakes!

Have some Zimmerman rotors and TRW pads on a shelf waiting for the Alfa, but its brakes are lasting a bit longer than expected when we only do 5K kms a year! Funny about that…

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah, mine was for TRW rotors and Textar pads I think, lots of cheaper brands. Eleventy bazillion Meganes were made so you generally get about 20 different brands of rotors and pads to choose from! I don’t like to cheap out too much on critical stuff like brakes!

Have some Zimmerman rotors and TRW pads on a shelf waiting for the Alfa, but its brakes are lasting a bit longer than expected when we only do 5K kms a year! Funny about that…
I bought a set of Bendix pads last on E-bay that was leftover stock from a closed down shop for less than half the new price.

There are a lot of online shops these days that discount quality products too. I usually buy stuff on sale that I think I'll need in the future and keep it on the shelf.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I bought a set of Bendix pads last on E-bay that was leftover stock from a closed down shop for less than half the new price.

There are a lot of online shops these days that discount quality products too. I usually buy stuff on sale that I think I'll need in the future and keep it on the shelf.
I got a bunch of rotors (and a flywheel and a few other very heavy things) from a German online store that did free international shipping over 200 euros - they stopped doing that shortly after, I think I taught them a lesson in DHL charges be weight :)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yikes!

British Tata premium :oops:

Surely aftermarket would be cheaper and better.

I did the last pad change myself from standard Toyota to DBA extreme and it was like night and day from the standard pads, shot me forward and locked up the seatbelt the first time I pressed the pedal.

Front and rear rotor/pad kits are $650 an end.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Two piece floating rotors from 034Motorsport? Now 3 grand an end, was looking for a mate.

While scary, you need to be sitting down for Brembo kit prices, 405x32mm rotors and big callipers are 9 grand a corner……
Is that carbon ceramic pricing?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Is that carbon ceramic pricing?

You wish. Carbon ceramic was $15k front and a more reasonable $10k rear.

On the GT3RS carbon brakes were $35k but included in the price of the GT2RS which was a very affordable $900k plus on roads with the weissach package.