new car!

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
Hidesy, classy cars with "pimpin" wheels screams "teenager driving, watch me for a while and I'll do something stupid enough to justify your time".
The mere fact that you are in a Merc will attract attention:(
1000 watts of sub pumping will do wonders for the lads in blue. Better off to keep it low key and drive gently. Your hip pocket will
thank you too.
Anyway, once you start getting it serviced you wont have money to buy any mods.:eek:
And if you want to keep it in good condition and make it last, dont skimp on the services, one thing Euros hate is a shitty service
regime.4 Time Volvo owner:eek:

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
The mere fact that you are in a Merc will attract attention:(
Not necessarily, it all comes back to what the old guard have been saying.

Stock looking square shape merc with P plates - meh, parents have a bit of coin, who cares.

Square shape merc on its arse with shiny wheels - young bloke trying real hard. Get him.

Hidesy - sounds like you're on the right track. Some subtle/stylish wheels, keep the ride height reasonable, and a nice stereo. Undefectable and nice to cruise around in. Undefectable, as long as the wheels are within legal size range of course.

Edit: No, wait. Cops have defected people for standard parts on cars before, so take that with a grain of salt.

lebronmtb

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That sub looks crap, any 18" sub for that price cannot be good, better off investing in a rockford or kicker for the same price

mags and stereo? how about insurance and rego. they cant be cheap for a p-plater. Not to mention fixing it up if you crash it, as some p platers are prone to do. Not saying that you'll be a bad driver, but when my friends were on their p's, most were ok, but a few people had up to five or six crashes within a few years. Doesnt hurt to keep some money aside when things like this go wrong. But then again, if the folks can buy you a merc, maybe they dont mind paying the upkeep...

Lorday

Eats Squid
Go on, be a wanker. Drop it on 22" shiny chrome "hot" rims with 20mm of rubber, stick a 2000000watt stero system in there and drive around like a hoon, being careful to attempt to fishtail at every roundabout, burnout at every set of lights and never go less than 20km/h over the speed limit.
This is sarcasm

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Replace suspension (not really an easy feat by yourself) and some new bushes (given it's ~90 modelthe bushes have probably fucked out).

Just remember, Mercedes ownership isn't a hobby, its a career in charity.

(Fully aware of the irony given my own situation.)
You drive an import Hr31! :D

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
hey mate that is a nice ride i would love a merc for a first car. so classy. there will be so many birds after you

Last edited:

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rather then start a new thread, I thought I'd post in here.
I too, am looking at a new car, and in particular the RX-7 Series 8. Before mentioning other cars, I don't care about Supra's, Skyline's, WRX's, Ford's or Holden's.
The only other car I'd really look at is a Evo 8/9/10. Naturally, I can't really justify the $70,000 or so for the Evo 10 but I can dream, hey.

I can get a 2002 Series 8 RX7 imported from Japan through a semi-local business here for ~$30,000 with less then 30,000km on the clock inc. a 3year warrenty through their business covering everything bar stupidness of course. This will be my daily driven car which funnily enough, will be more of a weekend car as I'll be living on the RAAF base at both Wagga and Williamtown. I'm prepared for the large insurance hit and fuel bill and the need to service the rotor more often then a piston engine.

I won't be going stupid with mod's due to my age (will be 20 when I own this) only a tasteful set of 18 or 19" rims with high quality tyres and upgrade the brakes and possibly suspension. Engine will be staying stock as I don't wan't the hassle a friend of mine has had with their WRX, multiple thousands of dollars into the engine and it still blows up, I don't care if my car can go 400km/h, as long as it can go the 110km/h on the freeway and still go hard on the track thats all that matters to me. The styling of the RX7 has always appealed to me and now I'm going to finally go with it and pick up my dream car, I have a friend whose a spray painter so the spoiler will be getting removed ASAP.

What I was wondering, is there anything I really have to look for when the car is bought in before paying for it? Anything I should notice whilst test driving to tell for any signs of wear and tear or neglect in the engine. I've never owned a rotor let alone a twin-turbo one, so have no idea what to look for and feel for whilst driving. Visual damage and repairs I can tell along with more serious damage such as chassis damage and donor engines and part. I don't want it to be a cop magnet so the rims aren't going to be cheap chromies, most likely a nice alloy or a billet rim, proper brake upgrade and upgraded coilovers when I lower it to get a nicer stance. Is there anything that I'm being completely oblivious too about this style car? Help from anyone whose driven/own/owned/worked on this style car is greatly appreciated as it's my first major purchase and I know things CAN go wrong with these engines if not properly maintained like every other car but parts are becoming rarer to come accross.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Watch cars that have been track pigs from Japan. One of the boys who was always a picky little girl and prided himself on it when buying cars ended up with an ex-track pig R32. Discovered when we found little mounts for a roll cage, which lead to further investigation. Rotor specific I'm not much help though.

Something with a good service history (books) and solid stockness will help.

Get it checked out by someone reputable, with epic amounts of photos of the bits you need to see.

Evo's have come down in price nicely, but you need to be EXTREMELY wary if you don't want an ex track/competition car. What can you get an 8 for? As far as Evo vs RX7: Evo if you want lap times or winning the mountain run, but my god RX7's are fun to drive. They feel so light, nimble, beautiful shape.... the list goes on.

As long as you go into the whole exercise with eyes wide open as to the costs of maintenance and upgrades, enjoy. Having a good car semi-stock is usually the most fun and cost effective route too, so good thinking there. Fun does not = $ spent or KW on the dyno.

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Watch cars that have been track pigs from Japan. One of the boys who was always a picky little girl and prided himself on it when buying cars ended up with an ex-track pig R32. Discovered when we found little mounts for a roll cage, which lead to further investigation. Rotor specific I'm not much help though.

Something with a good service history (books) and solid stockness will help.

Get it checked out by someone reputable, with epic amounts of photos of the bits you need to see.

Evo's have come down in price nicely, but you need to be EXTREMELY wary if you don't want an ex track/competition car. What can you get an 8 for? As far as Evo vs RX7: Evo if you want lap times or winning the mountain run, but my god RX7's are fun to drive. They feel so light, nimble, beautiful shape.... the list goes on.

As long as you go into the whole exercise with eyes wide open as to the costs of maintenance and upgrades, enjoy. Having a good car semi-stock is usually the most fun and cost effective route too, so good thinking there. Fun does not = $ spent or KW on the dyno.
Evo 6 and 7 for around $25,000-$30,000 and for the 8/9 is around the $40,000 mark. The company that is doing the importing and everything for me makes sure it has full service history etc so in that aspect is ok, and upon arrival at their warehouse, I get to do a full inspection to make sure it meets my standards before accepting the car or not so will be sure to check for any points of roll cages etc. As for lap times and winning mountains, I'll only be going to the track to give it a bit of a hard time every blue moon, won't be getting too serious into that aspect, but always good to get the cobwebs out of the car and me so as not to be tempted whilst driving on public roads.

The RX7 has it for me over the Evo almost purely because of aesthetics. Both cars are awsome machines and very nice to drive but I think the RX7 just has the more 'sex' appeal. I figure having either of these cars, I can keep standard and still have ALOT of fun in, as opposed to buying a stock SV6 Commodore or the likes, having a bit of fun in it then it becoming a bit 'tame' and then all my money goes into upgrades and the depreciation on the car just keeps on going down. Atleast with both the Evo and RX7 they're a bit more 'botique' and hold a little bit of value more-so then an everyday commodore.

Get an FD RX7 and do an LS1 swap. Not even kidding. You'd probably get better mileage as well ;)
No thanks. If I was going to get a V8 I'd buy an old Corvette Stingray or nice Chevrolet. I hate seeing beautiful RX7's ruined with the LS1 conversion. As I stated, I don't care about the fuel bill. Owning a car like this you can't afford to care about it, you buy these kind of cars to drive and enjoy it, not too complain about the fuel consumption.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
you buy these kind of cars to drive and enjoy it, not too complain about the fuel consumption.
Thank you. Finally someone who understands why you buy a fun car. I'm looking at importing an old chevrolet later this year. So many people who drive a japanese econobox say "But the fuel consumption will be awful". Every time, I end up explaining that I'm not buying the car with the intent of getting good fuel consumption. I'm buying it to have a hell of a fun time every time I drive it. I then get met with a blank face. Likewise, I read a reveiw in a mag of the porsche 911 and the first thing mentioned is fuel consumption. I nearly cried.

Goodluck with buying your car. You'll have a fantastic time.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
The local market is a good place to look at the moment as well. There are some later shape RX7's coming down in price nicely, and buyers with $ are in very strong bargaining positions right now, and for the coming months. Always worth keeping an eye out.

Entirely impractical.
Beautiful.
Great to drive.

Ticks a few boxes.